Thread: Line 6 Spider IV confusion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line 6 Spider IV confusion

Having just gotten back into the guitar, I bought the Line 6 Spider IV 75W amp - salesman said it would be plenty for what I needed and that the amp is very solid.

So far it's fine except I can't seem to figure it out lol! Biggest problem I have is that when I'm playing one of the presets (blues green for example) and switch to another, something goes totally crazy with the volume and its WAY loud all of a sudden. I have to turn the master all the way down, then bring it up slowly as I tried to dial in a reasonable level. Why does it do this?

I can only guess that the channel volume for the presets are different and leads to this behavior. But it totally blows when you're trying to go from clean to one of the other sounds and you have to break your flow to fiddle with the knobs.

I get that I could go through and edit/save a bunch of sounds in my user banks and apply them to the A/B/C/D switches but man - what a hassle.

Any tips on making this amp easier to deal with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by progrmr
    Having just gotten back into the guitar, I bought the Line 6 Spider IV 75W amp - salesman said it would be plenty for what I needed and that the amp is very solid.

So far it's fine except I can't seem to figure it out lol! Biggest problem I have is that when I'm playing one of the presets (blues green for example) and switch to another, something goes totally crazy with the volume and its WAY loud all of a sudden. I have to turn the master all the way down, then bring it up slowly as I tried to dial in a reasonable level. Why does it do this?

I can only guess that the channel volume for the presets are different and leads to this behavior. But it totally blows when you're trying to go from clean to one of the other sounds and you have to break your flow to fiddle with the knobs.

I get that I could go through and edit/save a bunch of sounds in my user banks and apply them to the A/B/C/D switches but man - what a hassle.

Any tips on making this amp easier to deal with?
    You are correct as far as the presets...alot of them are different volume levels and overwhelmingly loud.

I own the Spider IV 120 and LOVE IT. It takes a little bit of time to get to know all the features of the amp, but once you familiarize yourself with the amp, you will love the tones.

My advice...forget the presets and create your own tones. Like other modeling amps, the Spider takes a little bit of patience and tweaking, but again, as you become more familiar with the amp, it gets MUCH easier to dial in tones and save them. Also, once you create your own user presets, you can adjust the volumes so they are all on different levels. Remember for the presets, if it is a 100w Marshall preset for example, it IS going to be louder than the Blues green preset which is based on a small amp with a 10" speaker.

If you don't have one of the floorboards, get one. It's a good investment and will allow you to update the firmware as well as download user tones from customtones.com.

Again, forget the presets...Create your own user presets!

Enjoy!
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

I figured out how to fix these - it was the channel volume on the presets. Even after you edit and save in your bank, if you can you have to go through the whole save routine again to save the changes. Once I dialed back the channel volume and saved I can now switch between my presets without the volume going crazy.

Feel a little bit better about being able to do the basic amp functions - now I can start working on exploring some of the effects.