Thread: Exotic strings on guitars..?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Exotic strings on guitars..?

I was just reading a bit about violin strings.
    There seem to be some exotic, synthetic-core ones out there.

Anything like that on guitars?
    Acoustics only, I assume, as we need metal to "trigger" pickups...
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, somebody will always coat or gold-plate or magnetize strings if they can convince Joe Public it's worth more. Some of the coated ones might last longer, I think the other stuff's just shamwow! salesmamship.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I have been looking for the holy grail of strings for years, I break them all doesn't matter what brand, even the expensive ones, so I buy ernies or deans and use a product called stringtreat on them, instead of 1 or 2 gigs it makes my strings last for a month and they still sound and play great.

Post Thanks / Like

I played Dean Markley Blue Steels for years, and they sounded great. But, I switched to D'Addarios and like 'em. They have good tone, and I have never broken a string with them, and I'm hard on strings.

I've heard good things about the Elixirs, and will try them out. However, there is a lot of hype about strings out there. It seems that there is always someone trying to hype the latest process for lengthening string life and tone.

My way of looking at it is that if it works and sounds good, I'll use it.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Kat.. Elixirs are great for acoustic guitar.. they do last longer and hold their tone better than non-coated strings.

However, for electric, keep in mind they are still just strings, and will break just as easily as any other brand (especially in high humidity areas), and at ~$16 a pack, that gets expensive.

Just my two cents... but that is also the reason I stopped using Elixirs on my electrics. I still have them on my acoustic.
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mainestratman
    ... and will break just as easily as any other brand (especially in high humidity areas).
    Hmm, string over-tension due to humidity-related wood expansion..??
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

I used the coated DR strings exclusively for three years. I didn't notice any real change in tone. They seemed to break just as quickly as regular strings too. I don't think that there is that much difference in strings.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule
    Hmm, string over-tension due to humidity-related wood expansion..??
    Corrosion (rust), more than anything.

When I was in NC, I'd got through a set of strings every two weeks or so.. they'd rust out and break.

Back here in Maine, relative humidity is a lot lower (or not as high as much), so I can go a couple months before changing them out. Of course, it sounds like crap after that long, but I save a few bucks.

Ernie Ball Hybrids, in case you're wondering what I use. :-)
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Living on the humid Gulf Coast (now with free ocean lubrication!), I should have all kinds of corrosion, but I don't. Maybe the mandatory air conditioner keeps things dry enough. I rarely break high E strings (.10), even the cheap $2.99/set WebStrings.

I do remember breaking strings on my old 12-string Takamine, but she was asking for it!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mainestratman
    Corrosion (rust), more than anything.
    Same problem here across the pond!

I think, for acoustics, that the most interesting strings I tried were the silk-core steel-wrapped 'folk' strings I put on a mate's dad's 12-string he lent me. He said it helped his arthritis a little bit, but not much, although I personally loved the feel of them (especially with my little stubbies on a 12-string acoustic!!!).

I think the thing you must keep in mind with violin strings and guitar strings are the way are they are played.

I'm no fiddler, but with the a violin, I could imagine the material used on the bow, the resin/rosin used, and the inner/outer layers of the strings all reacting in a certain way to their stimulus (i.e. how they're played), which is essentially friction, like when you rub your finger along the rim of a slightly wet wine glass and get that hum.

Guitar strings don't work that way, I'm afraid, so I'd imagine that these exotic materials would essentially go to waste, lest you dream of re-enacting those famous scenes from Spinal Tap

Just my tupence

Post Thanks / Like

I keep my strings clean with a dab of mineral oil on a cloth. 'Prevents corrosion and cleans the grime off of them. I also put a drop in my palm and rub the back of the neck and then go up and down across the strings before I play. Not too much, just a drop or two. I use Gibson nickel and Fender nickel, 'get for about $30-$35 for a box of 10 sets. I can't remember when I broke a string last, and I love to bend 'em
    But I don't know squat about acoustic strings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Elixer Strings

I had them on all my Taylor guitars. Then put some on my solid body guitars, but replaced them with nickel strings. Thinking about replacing them on my acoustics as well. They seem to be a little dull to me. Any thoughts on this....anyone???

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by riverrick
    I had them on all my Taylor guitars. Then put some on my solid body guitars, but replaced them with nickel strings. Thinking about replacing them on my acoustics as well. They seem to be a little dull to me. Any thoughts on this....anyone???
    I've tried Elixirs only on an electric semi-hollow, but thought they were slightly dull as well. I liked the lack of finger noise, though. Of the coated electric strings, I like the Ernie Ball coated titanium (Ti re-enforced ends) the most, but they are too pricey for me even though they last longer than non-coated strings.

It has been a while since I had an acoustic, so I'm no help there. I'd like to change that status before the end of the year, however.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

No one remember black nylon wound bass strings? The secret of that early 60s dull "plonk".
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, and me using Webstrings.

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kerc
    Damn, and me using Webstrings.
    Ditto the WebStrings. You just can't beat the price, and the quality is really good.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried several different brands and they all seem to be the same to me. I used to break strings all the time until I started using Dunlop Stubby, 3.0 mm
    picks, which is a hard pick and really thick. These helped me to control my picking attack for better dynamics as well as keeping me from breaking strings. Now I never break strings anymore. BTW, I now use Curt Mangan strings (10.5). These strings can not be beat for quality, tone (tons of tone) and price (about 6 bucks a set) and they last for a long time before loosing their tone.

Post Thanks / Like

I can probably count the number of strings I've broken over the years on one hand. Course, I don't use the whammy bar - usually shut it down. I've been using D'addario XL's (46-10) and LOVE them. I did move to the 46-10's from the 42-9's a few months ago and really noticed a good improvement in my tone.
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

I've always used EB Slinky's with good results. They don't break easily and retain their sound for a couple of months, maybe a month if you gig and practise.

I have one guitar with Thomastik Infeld strings that blows anything away I've ever heard on a guitar. They last for eons too and are brass coated.
    Turner Model 1 C-LB, Seagull S6+, Ibanez 12 string, Dean Bavarian Vendetta
    VOX AC50 CP2, Roland RE-20, Boss CE5
    Kurzweil SP88X, Yamaha MM8, Roland R-5
    TASCAM 38-8, Behringer SX4882, Alesis Midiverb III, Alesis Midiverb IV, DBX 262, DBX 266, Omnifex DDX1024, TASCAM DBX Type II NR
    Sennheiser MD441, Shure SM57, SM7, Sennheiser 402's