Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hagstrom Viking Video Review

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great, Robert! I was impressed with the versatiliity of the instrument.

Two things:

1. The neck pup sounds killer to my ears.
    2. The raunchier tones were amazing as well.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I almost forgot - I vote for hearing you do more blues with that beauty....!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I am still getting to know it, but my instincts and evaluation tells me this is one of the best Chinese made instruments I have ever played. Impressive.

Sure Ted - keep your axe greased!

More blues will come with this axe.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome...thanks for the GAS Robert!!!
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Thanks everyone. I am still getting to know it, but my instincts and evaluation tells me this is one of the best Chinese made instruments I have ever played. Impressive.

Sure Ted - keep your axe greased!

More blues will come with this axe.
    Not that I have your experience with as many instruments, but I agree Robert! I am heartened to find that my impressions I put down a while back are borne out by your experience as well. I love mine.

I look forward to more blues on it from you, but hopefully also with some good jazz influences, and also some straight up jazzy stuff as well. I love to work out jazz voiced chord on this rig. It is so easy to play.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking guitar Robert. And the tone is excelent as well. I've been looking at them online. They seem to be a really well made......but why so inexpensive??? I see that they are MIC....that was a surprise thought for sure they were a Swedish axe. I think I feel some GAS coming on. Better cool my jets.....my wife would kill me!!! Better wait awhile since I just bought one last month (a Gretsch).

Post Thanks / Like

There is so much cheap but good stuff made in China these days. Don't let Chinese-made fool you! A lot of their factories are nowadays quite top notch.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to add my 2 cents here. I own a Hagstrom Swede. Yes, I would have rather it been built in Sweden but can find no fault on this MIC axe. I have let people who are use to playing LP's play it and they are impressed by the tone and feel. The finish is perfect and the only quality issue I could find is that the switches are rather cheap. The only change I made to mine is to add some black speed knobs. The guitar is white so the new knobs not only add function but IMHO also look nicer
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

GREAT tone and playing
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

Nice video, nice guitar, great playing!

Hey - I wondered if you had tried or considered the Viking Deluxe? If so, was there any difference at all, or is it purely a cosmetic thing with the Deluxe?

- Robert

Guitars: 1977 Gibson S1, Fender 50's Classic Player Edition Stratocaster (MIM), Fender American Deluxe HSS Stratocaster, Lonestar Tele, Yamaha FrankenGuitar (you could call it 'modded' but it just looks broken), Agile AL-3000M Thru-Neck, Agile Valkyrie 24, Peavey T-25, Xaviere XV-550, Xaviere XV-500

Amps: R-50H Reverberocket, Vintage Modern 2266, Twin Reverb, Blues Junior, YCV-40, Hot Rod Deville, Bassman Ten, Valve Junior, Lectrolab R700C, VS65R, Powerblock, GX212R, A small army of vintage Harmony's and similar amps

Pedals: Too many to list - 90% of them of my own making.

Visit me on the webz: pedalbuilder.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Robert! I heard on FB that you swapped your humbucker pickups in your Swede. It made me curious about your Viking. do you still have it and is it still stock? Once in a while I think about swapping out pickups in my Viking, but have never done so. I think the only real goal there would be a bit more clarity and definition. But then I play it again and it seems fine. Thoughts?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I still have it and it's still stock. I am actually considering changing the pickups in the guitar.

Sent from my Macintosh telephone using Tapatalk.

Post Thanks / Like

It is hard to describe, but I would like my Viking to sound more old school so to speak. It is a modern sounding guitar but I like Old school more

Sent from my Macintosh telephone using Tapatalk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12