Thread: Hagstrom Swede filter switch "popping" through Amp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hagstrom Swede filter switch "popping" through Amp

I have a new Hagstrom Swede Tremar that I love but when I switch the filter switch from either "filter" position into the center "non filtered" position I get a rather loud and annoying "pop" in my amp. It will not do it if you quickly switch in and out of filter mode, but if you do it after say playing one song in a filtered mode it will do it. I had a professional replace the switch and try some wiring tricks he knows to eliminate it but it did not work.

Any ideals?

Thanks
    Last edited by mapka; May 27th, 2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: attach schematics

Post Thanks / Like

Poltergeist? Gremlins?
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mapka
    I have a new Hagstrom Swede Tremar that I love but when I switch the filter switch from either "filter" position into the center "non filtered" position I get a rather loud and annoying "pop" in my amp. It will not do it if you quickly switch in and out of filter mode, but if you do it after say playing one song in a filtered mode it will do it. I had a professional replace the switch and try some wiring tricks he knows to eliminate it but it did not work.

Any ideals?

Thanks
    I have an idea...

You say switching the "filter" on/off causes an audible pop? I wonder if it is a grounding problem with the filter circuit? Since most guitar "filter" circuits consist mainly of capacitors, which are used to "store" an electrical charge (filtering AC to DC, keeping the clock working on unplugged VCRs, etc.), I wonder if the circuit is a: incorrectly wired (bad ground connection, cold solder joint, etc), b: poorly designed, or c: using polarized capacitors instead of non-polarized caps.

Just a few thoughts on my part. I hope this helps a little.
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!