Thread: Cheap dual delay?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Cheap dual delay?

Hello,

Any suggestions for a rather budget-friendly delay pedal that would have two modes, i.e. settings possible, like for rhythms and leads with different time/mix settings? Or, maybe I should just get two units...hmm...
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maybe get a Line6 M9 which gives you a ton of stuff, plus you can run two delays.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

M9 is too expensive&complex. I'm looking for something a quarter the price. Plus I'd rather have something without excessive ic circuits in it if possible...I've had to ditch several simple analog pedals due to them changing the sound too much, I don't like the idea of digital stuff on my main rig, but then again, I dunno if analog delays can give the same or comparable results as digital ones?

But that got me looking into the DL4 delay modeler of theirs...looks like it has many delay options too.

Still, quite expensive too, would have to look for one used.

But then again, hm, I have two 'channels' on my pedal board and if I put a delay on either, I can only use it for leads or for rhythm, not both. So I'd probably actually need two separate units so I can use one for rhythm side and one for lead side. Maybe I could start by finding something for the lead side first.

So yeah, maybe a cheap analog delay with true bypass? What's out there deemed good?

Sigh. Life was so much simpler when I used rack gear. Since I started using a back-to-basics tube rig it seems it's nigh impossible to arrange even simple matters like add some effects...I've spent hours and hours merely trying out various combinations and pedal arrangements to find what works and what doesn't, and now that I'd like to add something there's a lot of problems right off the bat...and where do I fit it in my pedal board anyway? Sigh...
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

You said cheap, so I would recommend the Danelectro PB&J Delay. It's one of their "mini" series (you know, the little ones all named after deli food).

It has a stomp switch to go back and forth between long and short delays and actually sounds quite good. You can pick them up used for pretty cheap.
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

Never tried it, but the Two Timer might fit the bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys, both seem like great alternatives. Gotta start looking for one close by!
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

I've been looking for a relatively inexpensive delay too. They're hard to find. The Digitech DigiDelay seems to have some fans. More recently a lot of people seem to like MXR's Carbon Copy delay and Way Huge's recently re-released Aqua Puss. I listened to some clips of the Digitech Hardwire delay that sounded pretty nice too. None of these, however, are dual delays.

Generally I prefer as dry a signal as possible, but a little delay would be great for dirt, along with using the delay to fake pseudo-reverb for some clean stuff.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Radioboy950
    Never tried it, but the Two Timer might fit the bill.
    That seems like a pretty decent delay. . . gas. . .

Post Thanks / Like

Any Boss with tap tempo. The DD-7 is pretty cool. It even has a model of the old DM-2 built in.
    I've been using a Digitech RP50 for delays, chorus, etc lately. It cost me NZ$60 with a volume/expression pedal used. The drives are awful.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Good call on the tap tempo, Mark. The Digitech pedals (both the DigiDelay and the Hardwire) have that. I kind of like the reverse delay on the Hardwire, but it's probably one of those things I'd use once, giggle, and then never use it again.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    ... I kind of like the reverse delay on the Hardwire, but it's probably one of those things I'd use once, giggle, and then never use it again.
    That's exactly how I feel about a lot of effects
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    I've been using a Digitech RP50 for delays, chorus, etc lately. It cost me NZ$60 with a volume/expression pedal used. The drives are awful.
    That's a pretty good idea. I might even consider unearthing my RP100 to use for such an application.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    I'd love to hear what settings you're using for delay, etc. I bought the RP50 with the same idea in mind - use it for reverb, delay, chorus, other stuff. I've never been able to get sounds I liked out of it. I play blues so I don't use a lot of effects, so I'm looking for something subtle.
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's