Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Scuttle Buttin' Video Lesson!

Thread: Scuttle Buttin' Video Lesson!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Scuttle Buttin' Video Lesson!

Scuttle Buttin' Video Lesson - here it is! This ain't easy to play, but with some stubborness, it can be done.

Let me know what you think of this lesson. It was a lot of work to do...
    Last edited by Robert; October 10th, 2006 at 08:12 AM.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Robert... if I set a drum track around 10-20 bpm and sit for a few months...maybe I can get my mind and fingers to do all that.. another Dolphinstreet winner.. Im starting to realize that 10% is listening, watching and learning the tabs... 20% is practicing and the other 70% is gaining the finger tone, timing and talent behind it....

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you like it. It's hard to play, for me too. It's one of those "show off" songs really, but fun to mess around with.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    This ain't easy to play, but with some stubborness, it can be done.
    Oh, I'm stubborn enough--it's finger speed & accuracy I lack!!

I'll have to try the "walk up the temp" approach you demonstrate. But I kind of suspect I'll reach the physical limits of my fingers before I attain full SRV tempo!

Let me know what you think of this lesson. It was a lot of work to do...
    Very good, as always! I just wish I could reproduce it!

BTW, I have this tune on an excellent Greg Koch instructional DVD with several other popular SRV numbers. He talks about it a bit during his intro, mentioning that he saw SRV perform this in concert just after Couldn't Stand the Weather first came out, and that Stevie slid the notes, just as you show. However, he states that on the recording, "clearly he's bending the notes", which makes it tougher to play. Koch teaches it that way on the DVD, which renders it all but impossible for a slow-of-hand oldster like me! I think it's interesting that even SRV himself didn't play it that way when he had to perform it live!!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Just watched Stevie playing the song at Montreaux and he is clearly not bending the lick as DVM has mentioned. I went to look at some video because I do remember the sound of him bending the notes from the studio recording.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I know, I have a live version of SRV playing it sometimes with a bent note, sometimes with a sliding note. He does both, kinda randomly, on that live recording. It's easier to just slide that note though...

Post Thanks / Like

It's easier to just slide that note though...
    Yeah, agree 100%. I'm going to try playing it sliding the notes and see if I can do better than the "bent" version, which was pretty much hopeless for me!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent lesson, Robert!

You slowed it down enough for visual guys like me and you explained it very well.

Saved to favorites!
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.