Thread: Continually checking out amplifiers...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Continually checking out amplifiers...

Its that search for tone that is never complete, right? Lets start with the fact I currently have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, but I was wondering if anyone has used the Tech 21 Trademark 30? It looks like a pretty slick little package + offerings (I could record through the amp in my house without blowing the neighbors away, etc... nice practice amp...) of course I should find a store and play through one first, but any Tech21 Trademark 30 Owners here? Should I consider the 60? yes yes yes, I need to get to a store and try them. Lets have some commentary shall we? :-)

-- one more thing... NO ONE uses the chat feature on this site do they? :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I've read good things about the Trademark amps, although I have no hands-on experience with them. But as the new owner of a Roland Cube 30X, I can say that I'm very impressed with solid state modeling amps, in general. I'd say check them all out.

Post Thanks / Like

The Tech 21 TM30s are fabulous amps for bedroom playing and for direct recording. Several folks here on the forum have the TM60 and really like them a lot.

I have the "poor man's" TM30....a Behringer GM110. Same set-up at the TM30 and I have to say that it delivers excellent analog modeling of the Mesa, Marshall and Fender amps with active EQ. No F/X and that's probably a good thing.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Piebaldpython

Yo dude, can you believe an x nephew I took in, 43 yrs old, last year, turned on me and stole my Behringer GM110 along with a Fender Hwy One and a Gibson faded SG brand new? I kicked him out quicker than human waste material.

Got some great new guitars but never replaced the GM110. I would like to though. They are discontinued but can still be found for around 99 online at various places.

Remember, prospective buyers, that the GM110 is the reverse engineered Tech 21, not the new Behringer GMX110 or whatever they call it.

You want to make sure you get the GM110 if you want the Tech 21 clone, and it is a superb amp for a small price.

I should make it a priority to get a new one.

Very loud amp with ANALOG modelling, not digital modelling. ANALOG modelling amps are supposed to be far superior to the digital modelling ones, just as analog audio is superior sounding to digital audio. That's why we don't play digital guitars and analog amps are so popular.

I would suggest trying out a Behringer GM110, they get great reviews and mine never had a problem and was built very well with an excellent speaker. The models were cool, as were the speaker models and the drive options. Great little amp.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Check out our fretnet member Elavds youtube page for a couple of awesome TM30 clips!

http://www.youtube.com/user/elavd
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I use and like the GT2 a lot, and I think a TM30 is pretty much an amp with the GT2 integrated.

I recently purchased a TM60, which is a bit different, but I'm getting used to setting it up now and really like it. It's also quite small and light (35 lbs) compared to many comparable tube amps. I'd definitely see if you can try out one of these amps. The TM60 is excellent in my experience, and once I learn to control it a bit better, I think I'll like it even more.

Markb and Wingsdad are the TM60 experts here, so maybe they can shed some more light on it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I have not tried them, the Roland cubes seem to be quite well, as many players even use them as pre amps. I would also look into a direct to computer recording program as they offer a multitude of different amp and guitar pickup combo's to use and allow you to plug and play as well as use headphones.
    May all your days be memorable, all your friends stay true and all your riffs be killer....

Post Thanks / Like

I've owned two of the TM60's and the TM120.

I'd go with the TM 60 over the TM30 because:
    Two foot-switchable channels & Solo Boost
    Twice the wattage for playing live
    The TM60 sounds the same at any volume, so you can get nice tones at bedroom levels.

My $0.02

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guitardan777
    I've owned two of the TM60's and the TM120.

I'd go with the TM 60 over the TM30 because:
    Two foot-switchable channels & Solo Boost
    Twice the wattage for playing live
    The TM60 sounds the same at any volume, so you can get nice tones at bedroom levels.

My $0.02
    +1 to this. I think you might find the TM60 to work a bit better for live usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

The TM10/30 are sort of like a GT2 box with a power amp and speaker (not exactly, don't flame me). The 60 and 120 were designed for live use with switchable channels, boost and/or reverb, and effects loop. As long as you like Fender-ish cleans and Marshall-ish drives you can get through a show with the TM60 easily.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience