Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Anybody ever had the build your own bug?

Thread: Anybody ever had the build your own bug?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody ever had the build your own bug?

Cruising through the 'net today I found www.guitarshopsupply.net . They had a good selection of strat-style bodies at good prices... now I'm getting the "build your own" bug (as if there weren't enough music related items to separate my money from my wallet).

I've always wanted to try this (assembly, not full blown luthier work), and it just so happens that I'm looking for another guitar soley for country lead and rhythm work. All my other guitars have humbuckers in the bridge position, and while I can make 'em sound good, they're really high output and built more for rock and metal work.

Of course, I could always just save the extra money buying parts and just get a Squier '51 or Tele and mod the heck out of it...

BUT, the idea of a semi-custom Strat or Tele style guitar, built with parts I selected, and with my own two hands is just darn appealing. What do y'all think?
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Building my own Frankenstrat would be awesome. A nice Tele would be sweet too.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to build my own amp! There are several interesting amp kits out there, but I currently don't have the time and space available to try it. Allen amps seem awesome and they are available in kit form. See http://www.allenamps.com/kits.html
    There are other alternatives too, maybe it'd be better to start with a real simple small amp as a first project.

One day... one day I'll build my own amp!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Put me on the buy list for a Renman Amplification Twangmaster Deluxe, Robert
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Im right there with you!

I have a really cheap Carlo Robelli Strat type guitar in black, and I was thinking about taking it apart and just keeping the body and building from there. Ill have to look inside to make sure the wood is good enough.

Its my first attempt at a rebuild so i think i wont pimp it out too hard, but if this goes well, im worried that i wont have money for food....

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good to me, Kat! Check these kits out:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gukibuityo.html

Good luck with it, whichever way you decide to go. And remember, pics or it didn't happen!
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

Ron I had a look at those kits and they look like those Saga kits and they are a piece of S#$!,you could get a good guitar from Rondo and mod it and save the headaches.I speak from experience.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Allen amps are the best kits out there for Blackface Fender style amps.

Mission Amps makes a great 5E3 Tweed Deluxe kit. I know the owner, Bruce and he is very knowledgeable about Deluxes. He's been in a lot of real vintage 5E3s and has used this knowledge to spec his own transformers for the kits. The kit is a steal as well. For anyone into tweed tone, Bruce's kits are a no brainer.

If I had to get a Marshall style kit, I'd get one from MetroAmps.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I'd like to build my own amp! There are several interesting amp kits out there, but I currently don't have the time and space available to try it. Allen amps seem awesome and they are available in kit form. See http://www.allenamps.com/kits.html
    There are other alternatives too, maybe it'd be better to start with a real simple small amp as a first project.

One day... one day I'll build my own amp!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    Ron I had a look at those kits and they look like those Saga kits and they are a piece of S#$!,you could get a good guitar from Rondo and mod it and save the headaches.I speak from experience.Sumi
    Thanks, Sumi. When the funds become agreeable again, I might just do that.
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think it would be fun to put together my own tele or strat, and do it very understated. I could see finishing the neck only enough to make it feel good, and almost just leaving the body. Maybe just a little something to protect it, but let it look beat up right away, and maybe put some duct tape on it and such. Someday when there is time for such projects I would enjoy it I think.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I was reading a book in the library, sorry I mean Borders book shop, the other day; it told how to build your own guitar from scratch in very fine detail. Im very tempted to try it as Im quite handy with the tools - though having enquired about locally, it seems fairly difficult to get sizes of wood big enough in anything but pine!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I've built several Strats from different parts I accumulated. Here is a Strat I put together out of parts...

It turned out really well and I ended up selling it for $350......the current
    owner is happy as a pig in slop with it.
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Sumi about saga kits. I've read about people putting together those kits and had to do extra work to make things fit.

Do what I did, get a Carvin Bolt kit.

Here's my kit guitar.

_____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____