Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Look what I just nabbed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Look what I just nabbed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Look what I just nabbed

I just picked up this natural relic. It's a CIJ strat from 98. It has checking in the clear and flaked off the neck in a few tiny spots. I got a couple of hours into making play better and it's stating to really play nice. I haven't taken the neck off since it has just a slight bow. Any info you guys might have just feel free to post it here. I think the wood may be ash from the grain, but I'm not sure.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...n/IMG_0034.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...n/IMG_0036.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...n/IMG_0031.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...n/IMG_0033.jpg
    Last edited by Bilsdragon; December 15th, 2010 at 07:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet! Looks like ash to me, too. Good score.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilsdragon
    I just picked up this natural relic. It's a CIJ strat from the 80's. It has checking in the clear and flaked off the neck in a few tiny spots. I got a couple of hours into making play better and it's stating to really play nice. I haven't taken the neck off since it has just a slight bow. Any info you guys might have just feel free to post it here. I think the wood may be ash from the grain, but I'm not sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! Good score!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always like that look on a axe nice find for sure.!!
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting axe. It brings up a few strange points. It looks like a 68 reissue. The Crafted in Japan logo started in 96. But the serial looks like a B with 6 digits that makes it an 86.
    I have the 68 reissue in Vintage white. it has a basswood body. At the same time I purchased mine they had a clear unfinished model. The only thing I don't like about the guitar is the 7.5 radius.
    another issue with them is that like the 68s they have the adjustment nut at the butt end of the neck and you have to take the neck off to adjust it.
    Sweet guitars though. The electronics on mine just say reissue pickups.
    I have the Fender frontlines from around that time so I will see what they say about that model.
    I checked and my Frontlines only go back to 96. They have my guitar listed as Basswood, but later they show that series in Ash. It came in 3 colors, a burst finish (00), Natural (21) and Vintage White(41). They had the large headstock and they are listed as Reissue Pickups with vintage hardware.
    I own 9 strats and have owned maybe a dozen over the years. This one is one I will never part with. It has a lovely tinted neck and the craftsmanship is second to none. I almost ruined it by storing it under a bed in it's case. Therse was a heat vent at the top of the bed and the heat almost ruined the neck. When they took it off to repair it I had the plate replaced with the engraved plate with the styllized "F". Other than that it is all stock.
    Last edited by ZMAN; June 6th, 2010 at 06:03 AM.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

The person I got from told me it said 98 on the neck, but like you said, the serial number brings up the mid 80's. The neck is quite thin compared to my Highway One or my mim. It's neat and plays really nice now that I messed with the set-up. The neck has about the right bow, at least to me, that I haven't taken off the neck. I bought it with the intention of making a couple of dollars toward the second Highway One that I want. My first has the HSS config and now I want one with three singles.(blonde with rosewood) If I keep the CIJ I'm going put inserts in the neck so that adjustments won't have you removing wood with the screws. I used the inserts and machine screws with the strat I built from parts and it feels like an iron connection. I recommend using inserts to anyone removing a neck from a bolt on guitar.
    Last edited by Bilsdragon; June 6th, 2010 at 09:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that it is a 98. The CIJ label was started in 96. Before that it was MIJ. If I were you I would be keeping this guitar. They are very colletable, and are much more guitar than what you paid. I purchased mine new in 97 and also picked up a tweed case with it. I think with the case and everything I paid 650. The case was around 169 I think at the time.
    The funny thing is that everyone raves about the Squier JVs, saying how they are much better than the MIAs of that era, and these are made at the same factory.
    As I mentioned the neck has the 7.25 radius and is pretty thin. But I like the way it feels.
    I keep mine in a fender hardshell case now because I think they hold the neck in place better than the tweed cases. Mine is in pristine conditon and has a wonderful smell when you take it out of the case. I think it is the basswood. Every time I take it out the of the case it just blows me away.
    The Vintage white has become an almost creamy yellow color and with the tinted neck just looks awesome. I guess you could say I really like this guitar.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I like your guitar also. The vintage white with maple neck is about my favorite strat color combo. Maybe I should hold onto this one, it sure is nice to play. I am jonesing for a Highway one SSS in blonde with rosewood though.

I'm going to keep cleaning this one up. It still has some crud that I would like to remove.

Zman, do you have the stock strap button on yours or did you swap out for strap locks??

Post Thanks / Like

No I changed nothing other than the neck plate. It came with a plain chrome one. Everything else is bone stock. I only have strap locks on one of my guitars, an LP Standard and it came with them (used) so I left them. I only play at home and do not find a need for them. I do a lot of bending and finger vibrato so I find the 7.25 radius a little tough but I now play mostly LPs so it makes it even more of a transition.
    I pulled it out today and had another look at it. It does look like it has strap lock buttons. I see they have the same on a couple of my vintage style strats as well. Maybe that was the style back then.
    You rarely get a chance to pick one of these up, and when you do they are keepers.
    I would keep it and wait a litle longer for the HWY 1. You won't regret it down the road.
    Heck it is already 12 years old and very desirable to a collector.
    Last edited by ZMAN; June 6th, 2010 at 11:41 AM.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

I like your guitar also. The vintage white with maple neck is about my favorite strat color combo.
    I guess I have to agree with you on that.
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; June 7th, 2010 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tag
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

love the finish! would look great with a black pickgaurd though in my opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

ZMAN, That one on the left looks familiar. Bilsdragon, I like the looks of that one quite a bit!
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; June 7th, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ZMAN]
    I like your guitar also. The vintage white with maple neck is about my favorite strat color combo.QUOTE]

I guess I have to agree with you on that.

Zman is the one on the right MIA STANDARD OR DELUXE?
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Left to right. MIM 60th Ann. Blizzard Pearl, CIJ 68 reissue Vintage white, and Squier Deluxe MII White Pearl Metalic. Sorry Bilsdragon I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Seriously I went to buy the natural finish and ended up with the Vintage white. At the same time they were selling the Reverse Jimi Hendriix strat and I didn't like the look but beside it they had the 68 reissue and I fell in love.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet pickup there, Bilsdragon! Looks to be in great shape. Love that natural ash grain....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    Left to right. MIM 60th Ann. Blizzard Pearl, CIJ 68 reissue Vintage white, and Squier Deluxe MII White Pearl Metalic. Sorry Bilsdragon I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Seriously I went to buy the natural finish and ended up with the Vintage white. At the same time they were selling the Reverse Jimi Hendriix strat and I didn't like the look but beside it they had the 68 reissue and I fell in love.

no harm. all info shared in this thread is fine by me.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

ZMAN, Have you adjusted the neck on your CIJ?? Now that mine has been in my house for a week or so the neck has settled too flat. There wasn't much bow to begin with. I'm getting some fret buzz on the first couple of frets on the d and g string. I was thinking about sacrificing the strings and lifting the pick guard to get at the truss rod. The saddles need some attention, so I could get them shined up at the same time. It also would give me a chance to look under the hood. Let me know what you have done to your CIJ. Thanks, Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I just picked up this natural relic. It's a CIJ strat from the 80's. It has checking in the clear and flaked off the neck in a few tiny spots. I got a couple of hours into making play better and it's stating to really play nice. I haven't taken the neck off since it has just a slight bow. Any info you guys might have just feel free to post it here. I think the wood may be ash from the grain, but I'm not sure.

That looks sweet!

Play your guitar daily!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast