Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Fixed up a Free Acoustic

Thread: Fixed up a Free Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fixed up a Free Acoustic

Hello, I posted a thread awhile back asking what kind of guitar my Dad had given me. He's an antique dealer, not a musician, though it's not an antique guitar, just an old one. Go to the old thread for the before pics, I had trouble uploading so I'm not going to spend a lot of time on re-uploading the same pics. BTW, the concensus was it's an old Kay guitar.

To clean it, I just used GoJo hand cleaner, it's what my Dad uses on his antiques. NOT the kind with pumice! It shined up real nice.

It took me quite some time to get it done because I don't go into the music store here in town anymore, so I have to wait until I head to a bigger town, the nearest one is only 45 minutes away, but we rarely go over there.

It was missing one tuner, one bridge pin, and one metal ring that goes around the tuner where it comes through the wood.

I bought the wrong tuners in Austin, TX, near where my Dad lives, but they were no help at all and I got the wrong part. Finally, I got the right tuners, but I forgot a little metal ring that goes between the tuner and the wood. Finally, I got it all and somehow I had lost one of the bridge pins, so I had to use one old one, and one of the new ones doesn't have the black dot. Not sure how that happened.

I do have a question about the neck. The strings seem real high over the body of the guitar, do I need to adjust the truss rod? Or is that just the way old guitars are?

I think the wood on the neck is beautiful, both front and back.

It was quite a learning experience and now, as I like to say I only spent $28 to get a $15 guitar! The kids like it and I don't have to worry about it (you can see three dings on the bottom), so that's nice. It has some fret buzz, but it's really a nice sounding guitar. I'm happy to hear any advice anyone has. Thanks.

Anyway, here you go:

Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

That looks great. Excellent work!

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey kerc, thanks, it cleaned up real nice. I didn't even have to refinish it.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

I've been itchin' to get myself a cheapo nylon string...Gotta hunt around the local pawn shops!

Play your guitar daily!