Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Suprising NGD - Squier AFFINITY Tele

Thread: Suprising NGD - Squier AFFINITY Tele

Post Thanks / Like

Default Suprising NGD - Squier AFFINITY Tele

I've been wanting to get my twang on for about a month now and was getting ready to just pony up the dough to buy a standard MIM tele at GC.

Was checking out the local craigslist today and found a Squier Affinity Telecaster in butterscotch. Now, usually I see "Affinity" in the title and move on - well this one was priced at $150 so I read the post to see why it was that much.

This one has been upgraded with fender noiseless pickups, CTS pots, new selector switch and input jack. I thought - wow, that's exactly the minimum that needs to be done to these Affinity's to get them sounding good and it would cost a lot more than $150 to buy a new one and do all that.

Emailed the guy and checked it out - I couldn't believe what I was playing. This is one fine guitar and not just from a sound perspective. Sure, all the upgrades in the electronics made it sound really good but the neck was equally good and fast.

I shelled out $150 right away and ran out the door to get home lol! Have you ever noticed that with some guitars you make some mistakes like missing strings and generally don't play well but with other guitars that doesn't happen? This guitar is one of the latter - for some reason, this guitar just fits me.

And that is why I say it's shocking NGD!

Here's a few pics:

Post Thanks / Like

Flippin' SWEET! Congrats.

A good guitar is a good guitar, regardless of what it says on the headstock. I'd say you got a good deal for the work that's been done to it.

Congrats again!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Right there with you! I was looking for my first Strat/first Fender-type guitar, and picked up an Affinity Strat (stock) from a Craigslist ad for $80 including a Crate practice amp that I don't need, and will sell. Had to replace the pots & switch ($20 in parts), and set it up properly, but now it's a nice-playing guitar. I, too, am happily surprised with the quality of these instruments. Even the tuning machines are OK. Congrats on your Tele!

Post Thanks / Like

Shh. Don't tell everybody, but the Affinity teles are a fantastic bargain. And they sound good. Not just good for the price, but good. I like it so much I've barely touched my strats since I got it.

I've kept mine stock for 3 or 4 months and am now putting a Nocaster in the neck. But it's a great way to get your twang on, as you say.
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great find, progrmr! All the good stuff, but without the higher price. I love these kinda' stories.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Affinity teles are fine. I'd change the electronics (you've already got that covered), then the bridge assembly (the Wilkinson at GFS is nice) and the tuners if (and only if) they cause problems. Get a good repair guy to 'breathe on" the frets and the nut some time down the line and you've got a nice solid guitar.

Teles rule
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience