Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Locking Tuners

Thread: Locking Tuners

Post Thanks / Like

Default Locking Tuners

I LOVE 'em!!!

They make string changes a very quick chore!

Anyone else use them?
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Sperzels on my main Strat. I'm not sold on them and would be willing to try another brand. It's a great idea and I've played with other players who have awesome tuning stability with them. I haven't been as fortunate with mine. I even put in a graphtec nut to no avail.

I do have plenty of guitars with a locking nut, and that is a CHORE to change strings but I never go out of tune....until I try playing.
    Last edited by Spudman; October 11th, 2006 at 04:58 PM.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently installed a set of Sperzels on my main Strat and now I want to put them on everything. They are simply amazing.

Spudman, what don't you like about the Schallers?

Post Thanks / Like

My Strat Plus has 'em, and I love 'em, too! As you say, Spanky, it makes restringing so much quicker & easier!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by srv-fan68
    I recently installed a set of Sperzels on my main Strat and now I want to put them on everything. They are simply amazing.

Spudman, what don't you like about the Schallers?
    Oops. That was supposed to read Sperzels not Schallers. I'll change it in the old post.

They just don't seem to hold. I don't even use the trem bar and I still have to keep retuning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I have Schallers on my main Strat. I'm not sold on them and would be willing to try another brand. It's a great idea and I've played with other players who have awesome tuning stability with them. I haven't been as fortunate with mine. I even put in a graphtec nut to no avail.

I do have plenty of guitars with a locking nut, and that is a CHORE to change strings but I never go out of tune....until I try playing.

Just my take here:

I don't believe that locking tuners contribute a whole lot to the tuning stability of a trem system. When you release string tension, the winds are going to relax on the peg. When you release the trem, the winds are going to settle where they may - and not necessarily where they started from. I think locking tuners help, but the money is at the nut. Roller nuts add more stability, but the only way to make a whammy / trem really solid is to lock the nut and ensure that the string end at the bridge doesn't bind or slip.

Locking tuners have somehow been sold as a "cure all" for tuning stability on trem systems. They aren't.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

With the locking tuners you avoid the multiple wrap. Usually you get about 1/2 turn on the tuning peg.

That is why they help with tuning stability. I think you are right about the nut too. I just have problems with my nuts I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I just have problems with my nuts I guess.
    You're incorrigible....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!