Thread: Looking for a new Keyboard

pes_laul Guest

Default Looking for a new Keyboard

So I brought my keyboard to band practice today to show them a few songs I wrote on it. They really dug them and were making a keyboard a new part of our sound. With that being said my cheapie yamaha just barely does the trick and Ive decided to look for a new better one. I'm looking for one in the 300$ price range. And one that has alot of different voices on it.

I don't know much about keyboards (besides how to play)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm, they are more than that new, but maybe you can find a Yamaha DGX-620 used. They were between $500-600 new in 2007. They have a ton of voices, have weighted keys (no keyboards without weighted keys in my house), have all the octaves of a standard sized piano, and has a ton of effects, drums, etc. They were sold in MF under a different model number for about a 100 more but they are exactly the same thing as at Costco. Gotta be able to find a used one I bet.

Here is the Musician's friend version: http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfrien...nch?sku=584332
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

pes_laul Guest

Yeah my friend has that same one. Quite an awesome keyboard. Probably a bit too extreme for me haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok, then on ebay there are yamahas in the same DGX line that might be good and within your budget. I saw some with fewer octaves but maybe they still have weighted keys. (EDIT: I just looked and maybe not. This one looks good though as a less expensive option http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfrien...ano?sku=583602 ) The stand on the 620/630 is just a screw on thing, and it would work fine with a foldable stand for transport, in case that was what you were looking at.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Ok, then on ebay there are yamahas in the same DGX line that might be good and within your budget. I saw some with fewer octaves but maybe they still have weighted keys. (EDIT: I just looked and maybe not. This one looks good though as a less expensive option http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfrien...ano?sku=583602 ) The stand on the 620/630 is just a screw on thing, and it would work fine with a foldable stand for transport, in case that was what you were looking at.
    Thanks sun I'll have to look at that today when I go to guitar center to look for one

I've always liked korg keyboards too. But I havent seen very many new ones

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Yamaha DGX 203 keyboard that seems to have lots of voices and sounds nice. I've never hooked it up to amplification of any sort though. It's a 76-key, which I think means it's one octave short of full, all on the low end. Keys aren't weighted.

My sister plays and was pretty jealous of my keyboard when she visited once, so take that for what it's worth. I rarely play it -- just picked it up on the cheap from a friend once -- but it seems like it's a pretty nice piece of equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the Korg X50, My go to keyboard is a Yammie PRS 740 though, workhorse of a keyboard.
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

I love Roland stuff.. the JV/XP series still sounds good to my ears. And you can get one pretty cheap too.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

pes_laul Guest

So yesterday I went to guitar center, sold my ibanez to them and traded it for the keyboard sunvalleylaw suggested http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ano?sku=583602

It was worth it, this thing sounds great and works great for what I use it for.