View Poll Results: CD storage cases: Which do you prefer?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jewel

3 50.00%
  • Digipak

3 50.00%

Thread: CD Storage: Digipak vs Jewel Case - which do you prefer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default CD Storage: Digipak vs Jewel Case - which do you prefer?

Hello everyone...

I have to ask everybody which you prefer more... the digipak or jewel case for storing CDs?

Personally I think both SUCK but I prefer the jewel case since they can be stood up and store evenly. I see more and more CDs now using the paper digipak style which I think BLOW since they don't store well and warp when stack or moisture gets anywhere near them. Also, if the little spokes that hold the CD break in a digipack you are screwed where at least with a jewel case you can replace it with a new one.

What are your thoughts?
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

As more and more music is sourced online, CD's are becoming a somewhat obsolete medium (hard to believe they've been around for 25 yrs + ) with nothing on the horizon to replace them.

Since CD sales are no longer a big revenue generator, especially for independent artists, cost of jewel cases vs digipack certainly comes into play. Some also like the "green" aspect of the biodegradable packaging and it does offer a bit more flexibility as far as "album art" etc. goes.

I immediately rip the CDs I buy to my computer anyway and the original gets "stored" in a drawer in my entertainment centre.

As an aside, I just hooked up my old tape deck to run through my 5:1 receiver and am taking a trip down memory lane with a box of cassettes from back in "the day"
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do what T-ross does. I still like to buy CDs when I can rather than download, if I can wait to get to a decent store to get what I want. When I do get a CD, I prefer the cardboard cases particularly if they open with some album art, and maybe have some inserts like lyric sheets, etc. I do not really like jewel cases, which I end up breaking a lot.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

One word: iPod

Post Thanks / Like

I don't even know what a Digipack is. Aside from my Plankton CDs, which came in jewel cases, I haven't purchased a CD in years. I download everything. CDs take up too much room.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    I don't even know what a Digipack is. Aside from my Plankton CDs, which came in jewel cases, I haven't purchased a CD in years. I download everything. CDs take up too much room.
    Digipak are ones made mostly out of cardboard/paperboard where jewel cases are 100% plastic.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

The face of music seems to be changing and most of it occurs online. However, my preference between the two options you mention when buying music is a jewel case by far. I hate digipaks.

Personally, I use little white CD envelopes most of the time, but I also don't mind the thinline jewel cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take either one, as long as it's a CD jacket that you can physically hold in your hand! With liner notes and art and pictures, etc...

So no vote from me, as voting for one or the other would skew the results unfairly. It's a wash for me.
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.