Thread: Who is frying a turkey this Thanksgiving?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who is frying a turkey this Thanksgiving?

I am!

My regular - a 15 pound bird rubbed with sage, rosemary and garlic and injected with a mix of spices - TBD.

One hour in the fryer at 350 degrees and it's culinary heaven!

Mmmmmmmm.....................
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you know what you're doing. I've heard horror stories from people who blew up their boiling vats of turkeys. heh

I had deep fried turkey one year and it was pretty good. The way you describe yours sounds deelisshsciouss.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is a good way to burn the house down. I believe it is best to fry the turkey outside away from combustible material and most certainly guitars. Fried guitars are not the delight that fried turkeys are. Fried turkey is ska rump shus! It is zee best vay to cook zee bird.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I brine my Turkey in an apple juice/brine mixture for 18 hours then slow cook it on the ole weber with a bit of mesquite, slice then eat and proceed to slip into a coma. Since Im self employeed I shut down for the whole week to savor the flavor better.
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I brine my Turkey in an apple juice/brine mixture for 18 hours then slow cook it on the ole weber with a bit of mesquite, slice then eat and proceed to slip into a coma. Since Im self employeed I shut down for the whole week to savor the flavor better.
    Oh, man.......that sounds good!

Could you share your brine recipe? I have the mesquite and the Weber.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! If it's good enough to put you into a coma I want it too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Yes it is a good way to burn the house down. I believe it is best to fry the turkey outside away from combustible material and most certainly guitars. Fried guitars are not the delight that fried turkeys are. Fried turkey is ska rump shus! It is zee best vay to cook zee bird.

There are indeed dangers to frying the bird. I've heard horror stories of oil overflowing or pots tipping and causing a conflagration. I put the bird in the frying pot and fill it with water to set my oil level before I rub and inject it. I fry well away from the house with a 25 pound extinguisher at the ready.

Post Thanks / Like

Also remember to dry the bird before easing it into the oil, peanut oil has the highest smoking temperature so it is favored, but most will work at 350 or so without damaging the bird's flavor. Also beware of the cheap thermometers there are some that allow the dial to twist on the top of the sensor shaft and create errors in the readings. I use a digital thermometer now. Lastly the directions on any turkey fryer are to never do it indoors, i find its best not to do it where there is a roof over you such as a garage or carport, if you had a fire problem, it would flame up incredibly fast and very high. i would recommend to not do it on your deck either. im told homeowners insurance doesnt cover turkey fryer accidents. be safe, dont drink and drive ,or fry turkeys under the influence !!

carp3nt3r.

Post Thanks / Like

And EASE the bird slowly into the oil.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to roast a turkey...but I don't know that many one liners.

(on floor tom) barrrrump!

Post Thanks / Like

Hold on, when you "fry" the turkey is it like in a big casserole dish with just a little oil on the bottom of the pan, or do you actually deep fry it like chips?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinky-Winky
    Hold on, when you "fry" the turkey is it like in a big casserole dish with just a little oil on the bottom of the pan, or do you actually deep fry it like chips?
    The whole defeathered and degutted turkey gets dropped fully in a vat of oil just like a huge ugly french fry. Which begs the question: catsup or fry sauce on your turkey?

Post Thanks / Like

Frying it hot in PEANUT OIL makes all the juices lock in... Deep Fry that bad boy... mouth watering golden brown! Turkey never tasted sooooooooo good!!

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

So do you get extra extra sleepy after eating this ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    So do you get extra extra sleepy after eating this ?
    No. Just regular sleepy, but for some unknown reason you have a really strong desire to go to work at McDonalds.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see now why there are alot of overweight people on this forum .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cranium
    I can see now why there are alot of overweight people on this forum .
    Wait a minute. How do you know anyone is over weight? I can't figure that out. I've never seen anyone here. As far as I know everybody looks like David Hasselhoff.

Post Thanks / Like

"I´ve been looking for freedom" - David Hasselhof... That is a damn bad song
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    "I´ve been looking for freedom" - David Hasselhof... That is a damn bad song
    So who is frying the 'Hoff this thanksgiving?
    I pick a moon dog.