Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Help With Tele Mods??

Thread: Help With Tele Mods??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help With Tele Mods??

I have been noticing that my Vintage Mod Tele has just really the mini HUm in the neck and the twangy pickup in the bridge that has nice tone, if you combine the med strat pickup with either it just doesn't have a clear tone with any definition to it, very muddy sound.
    So I decide to check this thing out, it has a 500k pot in the volume and a 250K pot in the tone with a 473 cap. The five way switch has one wire from each of the pickups going to the first 3 pegs on it and that is all. The 1 and 5 position sound alright but the bridge is too twangy. What would you suggest as a mod to help this ax sound like a real tone machine?
    I have another 250K pot that I could change out and some 223 caps, and I might try some other pickups as these stock ones just aren't getting ere.
    I can get another pick guard and go back to just a neck and bridge pickup but it would be nice to have all 3 and get the combinations of the 3.
    PLease give your suggestions if you have found success.

Post Thanks / Like

put a 500k in replacement for the 205 k pot, go to radio shack and get a bunch of different caps. tape the caps to a firm piece of cardboard and make 2 very long leader wires with a clip on either end, unsolder your present cap from the pot lugs , plug into your amp, start with the first cap on your board and clip the leaders to it, clip the other end to your pot lugs (where it would solder to ) and play for a while, take notes as to the tone and repeat with all the caps until you find the one that cuts the frequencies you desire, time consuming, but that's the only way to do it unless you like doing a lot of soldering and unsoldering with the tone bleed caps....Greg
    May all your days be memorable, all your friends stay true and all your riffs be killer....

Post Thanks / Like

This is what Greg is referring to:
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes ,that's the ticket....
    May all your days be memorable, all your friends stay true and all your riffs be killer....

Post Thanks / Like

That's a great idea!

Play your guitar daily!