Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Vox Pathfinder 15 Doesn't seem quite right.

Thread: Vox Pathfinder 15 Doesn't seem quite right.

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a connection of some kind. Either a lose wire or bad solder connection. Have you tried new tubes?

If you are getting any signal I would take that as a good sign. Probably your issue can easily be fixed.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you try an extension speaker?

I would think it is a bad connection somewhere too. If it has a power fuse try a new one.
    Try wiggling wires while it is on and see if you get any reaction like static or volume change. Wiggle the cord at the input jack, speaker wire.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really don't think it's a connector or speaker problem It sounds a lot like the optocoupler problem on Cambridge series (this old pathfinder is probably same time period). There's a .rar file on this site that has a ton of info. : http://www.cruses.se/cam/index.htm.

Here's a little taste:

Vox Cambridge 30 Modifications from Harmony Central

The following comments were lifted from a Harmony Central review for the
    Vox Cambridge 30 Twin Reverb.

FOR ALL C30 OWNERS!!!!! READ THIS!!!!!!! THIS IS VITAL !!!

The villain of all bad reviews of this amp has a name and location!! It is a crap part that was used on the amp!

It's the opto-coupler model LT9914 which is responsible for the tremolo and its located on the circuit board next to the volume pot, all users MUST change this part for a VTC5L3 optocoupler!! even those who didn't yet have the problem.

All you hear about crappy sound, low volume, volume variation while playing (after getting warm).....
    Found a replacement part: http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...px?SKU=9800710

Last edited by Commodore 64; June 10th, 2010 at 05:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

So...it's that optocoupler, but the guy was also talking about a couple of pots and an opamp? That was a little rough to follow. Probably didn't help you that he got the model of the replacement optocoupler wrong too.

Anyway, that's good that you have a probable culprit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    So...it's that optocoupler, but the guy was also talking about a couple of pots and an opamp? That was a little rough to follow. Probably didn't help you that he got the model of the replacement optocoupler wrong too.

Anyway, that's good that you have a probable culprit.
    I ended up getting in email contact with a guy. He rebuilds Cambridge amps. That chip stuff related to Cambridge amps, it doesn't apply to my Pathfinder, so I removed it, heh.

But yeah the actual part is a VTL5C3 .