Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wah pedal recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Do what Duane Allman did - he used an almost-dead 9v in his fuzz & wah pedals. You can definately hear the difference in tone.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

As lame as it sounds, I just ordered a Zack Wylde signature Crybaby. It has a bit more sweep that the Crybaby. Plus it looks really cool.

pes_laul Guest

I used to have a crybaby then one day it just died (well I got it for 20 bucks of ebay so what can you expect?) but I loved the tone when it worked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zip
    Do what Duane Allman did - he used an almost-dead 9v in his fuzz & wah pedals. You can definately hear the difference in tone.
    Oh yeah? That's interesting. Might have to try this. I wonder if the same effect could be achieved with an underpowered power supply as well...hmm...
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Oh yeah? That's interesting. Might have to try this. I wonder if the same effect could be achieved with an underpowered power supply as well...hmm...
    That beats an almost dead battery dieing on you, which had to have happened to Greg more than once.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rylanmartin
    As lame as it sounds, I just ordered a Zack Wylde signature Crybaby. It has a bit more sweep that the Crybaby. Plus it looks really cool.
    I don't know what could possibly be lame about that! Zakk Wylde is the man!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the Dunlop 535Q Crybaby. Adjustable range, and the "Q" setting adjusts how quickly the tone changes when moved off-centre. Everything from a standard Crybaby to something similar to a Vox.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?p...cts/pip&id=274

I got mine second-hand for around £50.
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like

Update: went to a Guitar Center to test out the main two (Dunlop and Vox) and see the practical differences. The Crybaby came out just a hair on top for me, though I'd be pretty happy with either of them. I also tested some Ibanez (not the weeping demon, but some reissue I think) at the suggestion of an employee that seemed nice, but a bit specialized. Worth considering, but I decided to go in another direction.

Anyway, turns out they had a used on there that looked pretty much new to my eyes for $50. Considering that a good number of ebay ones have about $10 shipping built in and CL owners highly overvalue their pedals and want $75+ for them, I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

Spent a bit of time with it when I got home, and it's pretty nice. Having never owned a real wah before (only the built-in one on the ME-50), I'm suprised by the shoulder somewhere in the middle of the travel that really changes the tone a lot. Maybe that was just an initial impression, but I'm looking forward to exploring it more.

Thanks to everyone for all of the help on this one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Eric. That will turn out to be a good investment for you. Wah's are a lot of fun, especially into a flanger, phaser, delay tremolo, etc. (it never seems to end)

I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it. I don't think I've ever gigged without one in over 30 years. I like wahs too.

For all the wah lovers everywhere

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty easy to slightly adjust the travel of the tone pot in one of those if you care to play around. If you take a peek inside you'll see what I mean. A small screw holds a guide in place that keeps the toothed bar connected to the pedal meshed with the gear on the tone pot. By loosening the screw you can jump the gears a cog or two. Just be sure you don't go too far so that the pot reaches the end of it's travel

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Too abrupt a change IMO in most any wahs...I'm always wishing for some more travel and little less drastic change with small movements.

BTW that's why I always keep the wah first in the chain...if you have the wah after the drives, the wah screams a bit more but then the change is WAY pronounced, because the drive also changes drastically with wah movement...you can get a very pronounced wah quak that way but I like it a little less pronounced.

Best wah I have owned in terms of nice non-abrupt sound changes and nice travel was a Morley, but then it didn't much scream and wail either even when used with a heavy foot.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm...I gotta try that trick too...
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

A looooong time ago.....I had a Crybaby Hendrix Fuzz wah. It got some cool sounds but there were some things I didn't like about it. The Fuzz setting was not that great. Sometimes I had problems with accidently switching in or out of the Fuzz mode and accidently hitting bypass mode. Also the sweep was too fast. It dropped off into the dark, nasily sound when pulled back far too fast. Also going into the trebbley, sucked mids zone it got too bright right away. It was great for doing agressive,screeming,wah sounds but not for subtle stuff. I like to use a wah for tone shaping sometimes. Like getting that bright,sucked mids,Hendrix tone or a fat nasily Page sound. I couldn't do it with the Fuzz wah because I couldn't find the right notches. It was always too bright or too dark. I tried a regular dunlop Crybaby a few times since then and liked them better but still not for me.
    I prefer the Vox wah. The sweep is extreme but feels right to me. I can get the sounds I am looking for with it. I can use it as an EQ for tone shaping or for screaming wah. It's not perfect but I like the classic wah sound it gets. I have wanted one for a long time and it will likely be my next equipment purchase.
    I know someone who has a budda Bud-Wah. It's the purple one. He loves it. It's very versatile and sounds great. I've played around with it a few times. It is very nice and one of the highest quality wahs I've tested. It can be subtle or aggressive and sounds good about anywhere in the sweep.It just doesn't quite get the classic Vox sound I like(think Page,live on No Quarter from Song remains the same). They are expensive too!!
    LeadedEL84

Post Thanks / Like

I too have a standard Crybaby with a Roger Mayer Red Lion kit in it and I'm very pleased with the tone. Not only does it have a Halo inductor, it also doesn't suck tone when it's off. It's got the tone sweep pot adjustment as well. I drilled a small hole in the base plate of the wah so I can easily get to the adjustment.

As cheap as the std. Crybabys are on the used market, you could pick one of them up cheap and install an Area 51 kit with a ICAR pot and a Carling 316PP DPDT footswitch. That would get you there or you could install a Red Lion kit...if they're still available.
    Last edited by Bloozcat; August 20th, 2010 at 07:45 AM.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fulltone Clyde Deluxe

Check out the Fulltone CLYDE Deluxe Wah Wah. I have it, I love it, it has the best sound of all.

My Crybaby Deluxe is the only piece of equipment I ever returned. It started making loud clicking noises when activated....some say a "buffer" problem but I'm a guitarist, not a technician.

Not any problems with my Clyde and I gig with it at least 6 to 8 times a month. Couldn't do Jimi or Clapton without it! Great product. It costs more but I only buy the best when I can.

www.mikeimbasciani.com

__________________________________________________ _______

’04 Fender CS ’56 Stratocaster Relic RI 50th Anniv. Aztec Gold
    '10 Fender American Select Mahogany HSS Strat
    '07 Fender CS Vintage Heavy Relic HB Tele
    '03 Gibson ES-345 RI
    ’03 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Fireburst)
    Schecter California Custom Hellcat
    Squier Bullet/Seymour Duncan HB/LockingTuners
    Breedlove AD25/SR Plus Acoustic
    Hohner ECA 612 12-String Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

If I'd have seen this thread earlier..... oh well...

I would have recommended the Ibanez Weeping Demon, the full one, not the toned down version.....

If you ignore, for a moment, all the buttons and switches, and set everything to 'center', it's a truly amazing pedal.

You can use the setting knobs to essentially dial in any Wah type you want. I was a fan (still am) of the old, Tel-Ray Morley pedals. They had an incredible range, great Wah.... no longer made....$80+ bucks on eBay used.....

I plugged in the Ibanez, and right out of the box, there was my Morley... I have since, and easily, obtained the Cry Baby tone, and the Vox tone, plus a huge variety of other tones......

Most versatile pedal out there IMO
    http://tubeworks.mortality.net - Tube Works / Mosvalve Fan Site

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had one of those Weeping Demons for a good while - it was indeed a very good wah. Swapped it later for a Vox though.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if money was not a consideration (and it usually is), I'd recommend one of Geoffrey Teese's Wahs.

The RMC1 is great for straight single coils, but the RMC3 is best for versatility. Best Wah-Wah I've ever heard, but for $235.00-$255.00 you'd expect it to be.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast