Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wah pedal recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wah pedal recommendations

I've come to the point where I'm finally ready to give wah a try. I would demo a bunch of stuff, but I find I don't really form much of an opinion until I've lived with a pedal for a long time, so I'm trying to gather opinions up front. Here's what I've been considering:

Budda Budwah
    Vox wah
    Dunlop Crybaby
    Behringer Hellbabe

The Budda pedal seems to get pretty universal accolades, but it's definitely pricey and hard to come by used. I'd say they're probably listed in rough ranked order right now.

Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Any of the above except the Behringer. I've got one of those and just can't recommend it. I think Gearmandude on has some wah shootouts on youtube.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, what's the difference between the Vox V847 and V845 wahs?
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have some wah demos on dolphinstreet too. After testing a bunch, I went with the Dunlop Classic Crybaby. I love it. The best sounding wah pedal I've ever used.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    I think Gearmandude on has some wah shootouts on youtube.
    Indeed. It seems like the Vox is a bit brighter and cleaner than the Dunlop, but I'm not honestly sure if that's good or bad. Now reaching the end of his video, that seems to be his conclusion as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I have some wah demos on dolphinstreet too. After testing a bunch, I went with the Dunlop Classic Crybaby. I love it. The best sounding wah pedal I've ever used.
    Yes, I remember you going through a bunch of wah pedals and deciding on the Dunlop. That's good to know, since it's ubiquitous and pretty easy to find on the cheap used. Too bad I didn't grab SVL's for $25 when he was selling it!

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the Crybaby. I had one in the early 70s and sold it and I purchased a new one in the mid 90s, it is just has the right sound for a wah pedal. The new ones probably have more bells and whistles, but I was happy to get one that would run without batteries. What I like is they are built like a tank and I have never had a problem with either of them.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a clip I have recorded with my Vox V847A. It's the cheapest model they produce, but I just love it, the sweep range of the pedal is perfect.

http://www.box.net/shared/eekvbjrq4i
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I have to vote for the Crybaby as well. I've used a good ol' GCB-95 for close to 20 years and love it.

I would entertain the Budwah, but only because I'm fairly Buddhist and I think Buddha would get a huge kick out of something like that.
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

After a year of use, I'm still enjoying the Budda Budwah (the older ugly purple one). It was the most vocal wah I tried. The only thing I'd change would be to give it a bit more sweep range. You can open it up and adjust the range's pitch up or down if needed.
    Bypass is dead quiet. They now have a new case and pedal outers, but the internals are suppossed to be the same.

I'd demo some of the Vox's, and perhaps the Crybaby Classic Robert loves. Let your ears tell you what's best.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

How about a Roger Mayer Red Lion Wah upgrade kit. It fit all common Wah pedals and the upgrade ist done in 5 minutes.

I used to play mine for several years until it accidentally broke.
    Here's a clip of the Roger Mayer Red Lion Kit:
    Wah sound starts at 1:44
    http://www.box.net/shared/krams2yl9s
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    How about a Roger Mayer Red Lion Wah upgrade kit. It fit all common Wah pedals and the upgrade ist done in 5 minutes.
    Very nice sounding, but the best price I can find is $119 US, which means it will have to wait a while.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Crybaby Classic with the red fasel thingy. Best sounding wah IMO. Had one...sold it to someone here and regretted it...found a practically brand new one on Craigslist for cheap and bought it.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Crybaby but it didn't get much use. I got a Whipple mod kit on eBay and installed it and liked the change. I ended up selling it and got a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe which is pretty nice

Post Thanks / Like

Get the Crybaby Classic and forget the mods imo. True bypass is useful but that's just a matter of swapping out the switch for a DPDT unit.
    Look at mods if you get a bog standard Crybaby for a good price.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

You could try to find a Digitech EX-7 on sale so you could be cool like Robert, Spud, and, um, Me.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Yes, I remember you going through a bunch of wah pedals and deciding on the Dunlop. That's good to know, since it's ubiquitous and pretty easy to find on the cheap used. Too bad I didn't grab SVL's for $25 when he was selling it!

Yeah...I grabbed it up pretty quickly :-)
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have the Vox and I like it for the range & sweep, but I reckon I might like a Crybay better, I understand it would be a bit more ragged and dirty.

My friend has this old Crybaby that has some issues...but those issues make it a formidable pedal. The thing squeals and screeches like no other; you need to use it very carefully but it truly makes the guitar wail like a wraith...that's what I'd like in a wah. Very ragged, lively and even unexpected wails.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Get the Crybaby Classic and forget the mods imo.
    That's kind of how I was going to approach it. I want to go somewhere to test the Vox vs. Dunlop, but I think it might end up coming down to which one I can find at a better price used, since they're pretty comparable.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast