Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wah pedal recommendations

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've had both the Screaming Demon and a 'normal' Morley, both good wahs...I dunno how different the Bad Horsie is from standard wah.

I got the Ibanez because it turns on and off automatically if desired, with just rocking the pedal, which I liked, with either spring tension or no.

I got a bit lost with all the adjustments on the Ibanez, though, plus I didn't really ever get it to do what I want a wah to do, i.e. kinda give the sound its own character even when it's just on, and the Weeping Demon was, with any setting, kinda sterile to me, albeit a great wah, would be good for someone who used it as an effect lots for rhythm too etc. The Morley was very modern-sounding as well, great for some swells and like, Alice In Chains kinda stuff, but not so much for rock quack.

I use very little wah; currently one song start has a little for 10 seconds, sometimes I might add some to the end, and I use it on one lead part on another song, usually on one solo bit, and one rhythm part on a fourth song. However, I might get lazy and just mimic it with pick angle & harmonics sometimes. Still, a wah is the only pedal I use.

I now have a Vox wah I did the jump the sprocket thing to get a little more movement before it gets too bright, and it's quite suitable for me, although I could envision a better one.

In fact it's really hard to find a really really desirable wah, I think...my friend has this old Crybaby I would take any second; it is worn somehow just right that it gives all kinds of crazy - but super cool - sounding squelchs and is has just the right amount of throat. Leads can really be made to sound like human voice almost with it, and that I like. You know, when you hold it in place and move it, it won't just simply and steadily brighten or darken the sound like normal 'eeeEEE', but it goes like 'Wo-eeEEE', always adding some weird duck or a freaky 'croak' to every movement, and you can just move it quite off-beat too and not have to keep pushing up and down to get a nice effect. The Vox I have is quite boring in comparison, but it has a nice rock scream anyway. I've tried many a wah, and while some have been really throaty too, none have been sufficiently crazy. I'd like the sound to vary a lot with pedal positions, and plenty of pedal movement too.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    In fact it's really hard to find a really really desirable wah, I think...
    ^ This.
    Wah's are tricky beasts. Mine works really well with some amps, and is horrible with others. I'd guess that many people bought an otherwise good wah, but it didn't work with their amp so they sold it.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be honest, I like how a wah sounds, I can't control it for anything. I need someone to sit down and be like, "Omegadot, this is how do not dumb things with a wah".

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by omegadot View Post
    I'll be honest, I like how a wah sounds, I can't control it for anything. I need someone to sit down and be like, "Omegadot, this is how do not dumb things with a wah".
    Try sweeping the wah to a slower rhythm than the passage you are playing. It takes an independently timed foot, which is something us non-drummers tend to suck at.

Here's an example that is close to what I mean, from 18 to 30 seconds into the video:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This thing actually looks pretty cool!

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oops, it's $200.00 though. Not getting that!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Deaa, did you find the weeping demon noisy or tone sucking that you noticed much?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you'd like this one then.
    AMT Electronics: WH-1 "Japanese Girl" JFET Wah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's look kinda cool too. I like the auto on and off of the other one. Looks like this one you might have to click on and off. I may still be looking at the weeping demon. Or an EX7 maybe. I do like the idea of the small size.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Can't say The wdemon would have had downsides like tone sucking...it was a quality pedal.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like the 3 notch position switch on the Japanese Girl. True bypass, too.
    I mean the pedal, you dirty SOB's!

Post Thanks / Like

I am a Robin Trower fiend & wanted a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah until I checked the price!!!!!!
    I went for the value for money/universal Dunlop GCB-95, does a good job for me now that I have adjusted the sweep to my liking.

That AMT pedal sounds pretty cool I have never seen before, great size 2.
    Last edited by The Grand Vizier; March 11th, 2012 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Just adding a bit more waffle

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234