Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Not Happy New Amp Day
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Happy New Amp Day

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Not Happy New Amp Day

How bad does it look?

I just got this used Fender Pro Jr from UPS, so I installed the tubes, powered it up and smoke started coming out of them within seconds.

I opened it up and this is what I saw -

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

E-w-w-w-w-w, that big filter cap and around it definitely isn't looking good! Actually, the cap may just be singed--looks like it was the resistor below it that went up in smoke.

Calling Tung, calling Tung.....come in, Tung!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Ewwwwwww. Someone call that amph a doctah!

I hope it's a cheap fix, Robert.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not an amph doctor, but it's just a cap and a few resistors. The real issue is what caused the blow out.. perhaps you didn't seat the tubes properly.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a photo off Bill Machrone's site that shows how that section of the board should look. Looks to me like R32, the resistor below the 22 uf filter cap, is what let go:

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon
    I'm not an amph doctor, but it's just a cap and a few resistors. The real issue is what caused the blow out.. perhaps you didn't seat the tubes properly.
    Yeah, exactly. And pray that it didn't take out the power transformer with it....

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Here's a photo off Bill Machrone's site that shows how that section of the board should look. Looks to me like R32, the resistor below the 22 uf filter cap, is what let go:

Is that picture a modded board? It looks like there are a couple of wires -- one yellow and one blue -- that aren't in Robert's photo. Maybe those had something to do with it?

Don't know, just my uneducated observation...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Is that picture a modded board? It looks like there are a couple of wires -- one yellow and one blue -- that aren't in Robert's photo. Maybe those had something to do with it?
    Good point! Those wires are part of one of BillM's mods for his Pro Jr. I was just trying to show what the unsinged components in that area of the board were....

BTW, here's a link to a Pro Jr. schematic:

http://www.ampwares.com/schematics/pro_jr.pdf

Looks like R32 is a 2.7 Kohm 2W power resistor that steps the B+ voltage down from 319 VDC to 294 VDC.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Robert it's not the 4th of July yet! I heard those were some bad caps but WOW! I haven't seen 'em light up like that before.Good luck with that one.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

That's ugly.

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think you may have any recourse with the seller?

Post Thanks / Like

No way 2 know in hindsight, I s'pose, Robert...but...assuming that you know how to put tubes in correctly, could that damage have been done by the previous owner, which is why they were selling it in cyberspace, not face-to-face?

Their extortionate (isthataword?) fees aside, as bad as UPS can be (to whit: "What can Brown Do for You?"), blaming that frito-boardito on them may be a tad over-the-top. Although it is possible a solder joint cracked or connection came loose in transit, that could happen with the amp in the trunk of anyone's car hitting a bump in the road.

I think the amp was fried b4 it was packed and sent to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah Kimosabe how can I help,I saw your smoke signal.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Who knows what happened to the amp. I can't say for sure. I think I know how to put in tubes correctly, but I should have looked at them as powered up the amp. Perhaps one of the tubes are busted.

The seller already offered to take it back, but I don't want to have spent all this UPS rip off fees for nothing. They charged me over $130 just to let me have this amp, so I would rather get it repaired than to put more money in their nasty little pocketses.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Grrrrrrr!
    At least it is repairable.

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Vood for the schematics link! I dropped it off to a repair guy this morning and he said he needed the schematics before he could go anything. Now I am crossing my fingers that the amp can be fixed without costing me a fortune.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you and I are being punished for something ~

or maybe out neighbors don't like our loud playing and sabotaged our amps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon
    Correct. That node is the B+ supply for the EL84 screens. The one good thing is that the resistor blew on top of the board, i.e., not on the trace side. The carbon can cause problems later on if it gets on the PCB's traces.

It is a fairly simple circuit, so any good tech should be able to fix it.

My guess based on the photos is that either one or both of the EL84's screen grids were damaged in shipping; they are not the most robust of tubes. But it is hard to say for sure as I don't have the amp in front of me. Your tech should probably check all the tubes to make sure they are good.

You will want to have the tech check R24 and R25 to make sure they aren't toasted as well. Those could be increased in size. right now they are 100 ohm. Anywhere from 470 ohms to 1.5K ohms would provide more protection for the EL84 screens.

Finally, I've heard bad things about the Illinois caps (marked "ic"). Depending on the age of the amp, you may consider having those replaced when the amp is serviced.

Sorry about your misfortunes with the amp, but hopefully it should be relatively painless to have it fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

Noooooooo!!!
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

The Gods are punishing me... perhaps because I have too many amps now?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast