Thread: Wow...music theory

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow...music theory

I've finally made it through the Ricci Adams' Musictheory.net (http://www.musictheory.net/lessons) and wow...there is a lot to know.

Neapolitan chords, all of these inversions, circle progressions, etc. It really gives me a much greater appreciation for the orchestral composers who not only make complex music, but presumably understand what they're doing when they use all of this theory.

I sometimes wonder if it would seem so complicated if one goes to school for music, since you would be speaking that language every day. Maybe, maybe not.

Anyway, just noting how much music theory there is to learn once you dip your toes in the water. Happily, it's not really that essential for guitaring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I had two years of music theory in college along side composition, ear training, and piano.

It's all you do every day. Eat, breath, and sleep music theory.
    Turner Model 1 C-LB, Seagull S6+, Ibanez 12 string, Dean Bavarian Vendetta
    VOX AC50 CP2, Roland RE-20, Boss CE5
    Kurzweil SP88X, Yamaha MM8, Roland R-5
    TASCAM 38-8, Behringer SX4882, Alesis Midiverb III, Alesis Midiverb IV, DBX 262, DBX 266, Omnifex DDX1024, TASCAM DBX Type II NR
    Sennheiser MD441, Shure SM57, SM7, Sennheiser 402's

pes_laul Guest

between taking jazz band and choir and music theory classes it's really helped me out as a musician. It takes the knowledge of music and pretty much lets you apply it to anything. (said you know where the notes are) and it also helps you understand how everything works.