Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
I want a new tube combo amp!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want a new tube combo amp!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I want a new tube combo amp!

I've been selling off my collection and saving the money and now I got my Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack and my Carvin Bolt guitar together on CL.

I was looking through the tube combos on MF and my head is swimming. Blackstars, Egnaters, Fenders, Peaveys and who knows what else.

What's your ideal 1x12 combo that's 20 to 50 watts?
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd have a tough time passing up the Bugera V22 and especially the Jet City JCA2112RC combo that has reverb, unlike the head.

Have fun and take your time choosing.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

It's a 4/10 combo 66 super reverb!,but a 5e3 is nice also.Why are you getting rid of the Carvin bolt,I thought you really liked that one?Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman
    What's your ideal 1x12 combo that's 20 to 50 watts?

That may be the hardest thing to suggest today with so many great products out there.

Whats your price point?
    Leaning closer to 20 watts or 50 watts?
    A bells and whistle guy or give it to me straight kind a guy?
    vintage clean sound or British growl or USA gain or all 3?
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

The Bolt is a sweet guitar but I've been playing my Carvin DC127 exclusively and I might as well keep the handmade guitar so that leaves the Bolt.

Prefer 20-30 over 50, give it to me straight and vintage clean. I would like to use my MFX pedals. Have $900 saved now without the sale of said guitar and amp but gotta make room for new toy(s).
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Fender Pro Junior!!!!
    15 watts of tone.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amp

You OWE it to yourself to check out the Fender all tube, lots of tubes, SuperSonic 1 X 12 combo with the Celestion Vintage 30 stock speaker.

It has two channels, normal and BURN, and two voices for each channel, Vibrolux and Bassman, also a great reverb that works with the bassman too.
    The BURN channel really burns, it is overdrive and really nice. This is a great amp in the Fender Pro series. They have a mint used one by me for seven something in blonde. Incredible amp.

I play the SuperSonic almost every time I go in the store and it sounds way better than the other amps, to me anyway; fenders or LP's both sound great. Sounds good at lower volumes as well but can really rip.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

That Jet City amp sure looks enticing.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I still stand by the Peavey Classic 30. Solid, good sound stock that can be improved with new tubes to taste, well built, etc. Effects loop, decent reverb, good eq. That is my favorite in the category you are asking about.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

For the amount you're talking you could get a used Soldano Astroverb and avoid the imitations. Not that there's anything wrong with the Jet City but why not get the real deal. I love my Astroverb.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Mack Heatseeker combo - 18 watts of sweet EL84 tone.

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to a thread at the Gear Page about a new model Fender Super Sonic. Post #9 is from a fellow who says he's a beta tester for Fender and has played the amp a bunch. Check out the thread Kiteman, it sounds really interesting. Like run over your mother in law 'cause you're in a hurry to go buy one kind of interesting. He raves about it ~

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...d.php?t=723242

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I still stand by the Peavey Classic 30. Solid, good sound stock that can be improved with new tubes to taste, well built, etc. Effects loop, decent reverb, good eq. That is my favorite in the category you are asking about.
    A great amp with good cleans and drives. It's easily pushed by pedals too. The voicing is EL84 bite with a slight american accent.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ah, I was thinking in the below $400 range. For the around a thousand range, try jumping outside the GC and MF store offerings...

Swart makes some of the finest tone machines you'll ever play. Consider this incredible little 1x12 combo that has the volume of a 20 watt AB. It can use 6V6 or 6L6 or EL-34.
    Swart Space Tone Reverb - Tweed
    I'll let their webpage and Matthew Sweet's sound samples do the talking.
    http://swartamps.com/swart_space_tone_reverb-tweed.htm

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, and if it's gotta be AB 20 watts, check out Tungsten Amplifiers for better than Fender tweed-e-ness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am thinking one does not have to spend all 900 to 1000 on an amph. A guy could get a Peavey C-30, then have money for a Hagstrom Viking, or Gretsch Electromatic, or CV tele or . . . I guess it depends on what sound you are looking for. The Peavey has a great sound for what it is, and is very versatile. It is not an absolute fender chime clean, so if one wants that absolute chime, look elsewhere. But it is a nice clean on its own. And of course can be pushed really well, and responds really well, to any pedal I have tried with it. So I say why spend more? But I am not looking for an absolute Fender or Marshall sound, etc.

If I was going to spend that much, I would get a Bassman. But that is a big amph, and does not sound like what Kiteman is looking for.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

My take on a combo:
    Since I'm not a big pedal/FX guy, I like versatility in the amp.
    Separate, usable clean channel with a British-type overdrive channel.
    The Blackstar Venue Series HT 20 would really be worth checking out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I talked to Spud, and he suggests either a Fender Deluxe Reverb or the Peavey Delta (1x15). He also thinks the lower wattage Mesa could deserve consideration.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

The Deluxe Reverb is a great amph no doubt!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast