Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion: who earned the honor of most famous or best left handed guitar player?

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinion: who earned the honor of most famous or best left handed guitar player?

That's it. Who in your opinion has earned the prestigious honor of being the most famous or best left handed guitar player of all time?

Hopefully this will be interesting to find out a lot of opinions.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, Hendrix seems the obvious answer. Him or Bob Geldof. (nah, Hendrix it is).
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Please no one say Cobain.
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

Albert King has to be right up there
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

For the 'famous' part, don't forget Sir Paul McCartney.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Jimi Hendrix

Cobain and a 20 Gauge was the best thing that happened to music in 1994
    Bow

What are these strings for?

Post Thanks / Like

The boy from Seattle of course.....Jimi, not Kurt :-)
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bow
    Jimi Hendrix

Cobain and a 20 Gauge was the best thing that happened to music in 1994
    Wow. I may be biased because I actually *like* grunge, but that's pretty cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Jimi of course. He was also the best at playing behind his neck and playing with his teeth...
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Roach Mulligan! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    +1
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Alice in Chains
    Soundgarden
    Pearl Jam
    Temple of the Dog

all rock
    Bow

What are these strings for?

Post Thanks / Like

Elliot Easton is way up there, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

There's only one possible answer - me!

Just kidding! No contest - Jimi Hendrix. When you consider the time period in which he performed, it becomes evident that he reinvented the guitar. He redefined its possibilities in the world of musical performance. Whether or not you like his music, he at least deserves credit for that, which is a whole lot more than the vast majority of guitarists can claim. Personally, I think there are players that are clearly inspired by him today who have surpassed him - if not in technique, then at least in being able to integrate technique with musicality. But the players today have 40 more years of recording technology to help them achieve this. For his time, there was no other. Hendrix started a school that no one else has ever graduated from, and probably never will.

Post Thanks / Like

McCartney. Listening to the Beatles as a kid is where I first learned how melodic an instrument the bass can be. Plus, Paul played plenty of guitar on the records.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Jimi. Besides the revolutionary music (as if it wasn't enough! ), whenever they show something about him on TV here they have to mention he was left-handed and had to play the guitar upside-down. You never hear this about Paul MacCartney or any other left-handed player; many people don't even know he is left-handed, and that includes many Beatles fans.

Curiosity: Jimi played guitar left-handed, but he used to write with his right hand, what actually makes him a right-handed person.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iago
    ...many people don't even know he is left-handed, and that includes many Beatles fans.
    I wonder what those people thought was going on when they'd look at a picture/video of the Beatles playing. Did they never wonder why Paul's guitar faced the other way?
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Most people just listen to the music and don't care to much about watching/paying attention to videos. They are able to identify Beatles songs, they can sing along, but ask the major audience "Who's the left-handed Beatle?" Many people will mistake it.

Post Thanks / Like

Who's the first one that always comes to mind holding a right handed guitar, left handed?

Jimi, hands down.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast