Thread: Small versatile PA systems

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

As a basic consideration, figure out how many channels you think you need and double it.

You can never have too many channels or too many sends.
    Turner Model 1 C-LB, Seagull S6+, Ibanez 12 string, Dean Bavarian Vendetta
    VOX AC50 CP2, Roland RE-20, Boss CE5
    Kurzweil SP88X, Yamaha MM8, Roland R-5
    TASCAM 38-8, Behringer SX4882, Alesis Midiverb III, Alesis Midiverb IV, DBX 262, DBX 266, Omnifex DDX1024, TASCAM DBX Type II NR
    Sennheiser MD441, Shure SM57, SM7, Sennheiser 402's

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the input. Yep, I NEED 6, so I'm planning 12. I guess I was on the right train of thought there!

As for Behringer, the most consistent feedback I've gotten is to AVOID there PA equipment, which is everywhere. I appreciate a recommendation, except that it only confuses the issue more!

Hope to pull the trigger next weekend, take advantage of Independence day sales. I just don't know enough about this type of gear to take a chance on used, I don't know what to look for. I think going new, I'll at least have a warranty, and so much of the new stuff is very user friendly
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Peavey has been building road worthy equipment for decades. Mostly powered mixers for small and medium size bands. Their stuff is not high end but it always gets the job done and lasts forever.

Carvin is another name that's been around forever and they make decent live equipment as well. Very well built and sounds decent at an affordable cost.

TASCAM, while not known for live sound re-inforcement made many affordable recording consoles that can double for live sound. Pretty darn cheap right now too as most are recording digitally and the market is flooded with analog consoles. The builds are a little lighter as they were not made for gigging, but if it's not going to see any road use, these consoles might be your best value. They are unpowered though, so you'll need an amp.

A suggestion would be what I currently use, the M-1516. A sixteen channel desk, three sends for monitor mixes as well as several other outs. Cheap too, but you'll still need an amp. Typically anywhere from $50 to $150 on e-Bay. Make sure it comes with the power supply.

I would avoid Berhinger for live sound. No matter how cheap it is, you get what you pay for. And with them, that's not much.

I don't know what you want to drop on a live sound desk, but for new, Yamaha and Mackie both make affordable live sound desks. So does Soundcraft.
    TASCAM 38-8, Behringer SX4882, Alesis Midiverb III, Alesis Midiverb IV, DBX 262, DBX 266, Omnifex DDX1024, TASCAM DBX Type II NR

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, Yamaha and Mackie are the two lead candidates right now. There are some decent Yamaha "packages" out there. With the Mackie, I'll have to piece together my own rig, but I really like the looks of this
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Not enough channels. That's not a true 12 channel board. Half the inputs are stereo and leaves you with only six balanced mic inputs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelE
    Not enough channels. That's not a true 12 channel board. Half the inputs are stereo and leaves you with only six balanced mic inputs.
    A common problem with moden desks. Mackie used to do an expander for some of their desks to add the missing mic inputs.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of marketing hype calling them that.

Yamaha calls theirs a 24 channel 14 buss. It doesn't even have eight. They count all the sends, the stereo buss, and anything else they can think of into their "14 busses". It's a frikin' four buss board.