not sure where the best place is for this topic, MODS please reposition as necessary.

I started hosting an open mic here in Chicago in May. First event we had 12 performers and perhaps 50 guests. Next one we had 18 performers and 70 guests. I invite a featured performer for each event, to do a 1/2 hour set in the middle, and the rest is open to rookies, folks who otherwise wouldn't quite feel they were up to an open mic. The response has been huge.

Anyway, we've pulled off the first two with borrowed gear, and that just won't fly. Several of the faithful have offered to pony up and we're gonna buy ourselves a PA.

So the question is, what criteria would you suggest for choosing? Fender has some very appealing self contained units. Is that the way to go? Are there brands that you feel are a safe bet or a sure miss?

Any help would really be appreciated, I've only got a couple of weeks to pull the trigger and this is not my area of expertise.

A couple parameters...certainly there is the solo acoustic performer, with and without a pickup on his guitar. We've got a couple -58's and a couple -57's for vocal and those without pickups respectively.

we also have groups of 3 or four, and are planning to start having a cocktail kit, allowing for power trio's etc. In that case, given the size of the room, the drums and amps will more than fare for themselves, the PA will simply handle vocals.

Also, any recommendation on simple reliable DI boxes is also welcome.