Thread: Money you earn as a band

Post Thanks / Like

Default Money you earn as a band

Hey folks,

How do you proceed with the money that you earn as a band. Do you safe it for upcoming gigs, P.A. costs, travelling costs, rent for the rehearsal room, demo recordings? Or do you split the income after each gig?
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

We are in a pretty good situation right now. We own a small PA and a large PA, and we have a nice rehearsal/studio space which is set up to record. We have been splitting our money recently but we do need a new band vehicle as our last van has moved on to greener pastures (pretty much anything is greener that that old Chevy). I find it's best when you don't rely on your gigs as a source of income. It allows you to take some lesser paying gigs that may be good for networking.
    Patrick

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys know what I do with the money I make from gigs....
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I split it. Everything from my portion goes back into the band (PA, etc.). If the guys want to contribute, great. If not, then whatever. lol
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

What money?

Generally:
    Expenses come off the top - gas, repairs, mailing costs, phone costs, whatever it took to get to and to get the gig in the first place. That all gets paid back to whoever spent it.

Then each member has stock in the band. $100 is the stock pool fund from each gig. All the equipment it takes to gig is 100% of the stock. Whatever anyone owns (personal gear, PA etc) is their percentage of shares. They then get paid their percentage from the stock fund. After all members receive their stock funds then the balance is split. So by owning more you can make more but you'll probably have more expenses due to owning more too.

Personal gear is limited to: 2 guitars, 1 amph, pedals, drum kit, PA. Everything is valued at fair market value unless it is still under warranty and then it is full value until the warranty expires. No excessive number of pieces of personal equipment is to be used for stock calculation. for instance I wouldn't be able to use 25 of my guitars for that. I'm limited to 2.

This was designed to encourage band members to buy PA, lighting, vehicle and to keep their gear current which benefits the whole group. They can earn more by investing in the band.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.