Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Who likes Grunge? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who likes Grunge?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockermann
    Amen. I think another reason I hated grunge is that it's such a downer. I never liked country music either as it was always about prison, divorce, loosing your job etc. Same type of stuff with grunge. Who want's to listen to all of that, over and over. Give me a band that writes about chicks, partying and having a great time. Now that I can listen to.
    You could make the same argument about the blues: "My woman done left me so I'm gonna jump in the river and drown." Of course I tend to prefer the "my baby came back" blues to the "my baby done left me" blues.

Reminds me of the comedian who talked about how there are no good blues Christmas tunes. So he wrote one called "My Woman Is Dead."

"Woke up Christmas mornin'
    *duh DUH duh duh duh*
    My woman was dead
    *duh DUH duh duh duh*
    Reindeer came down the chimney
    *duh DUH duh duh duh*
    And stepped on her head"
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    For example: Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Korn

The sad thing is that it started out with something infinitely cool: a collaboration between Anthrax and Public Enemy. It went rapidly downhill from there.
    Ooh yeah, I think the concept is OK, but the execution leaves something to be desired.

However...shameful though it is, I have to admit to liking a few Linkin Park tunes. I can't help it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Soul on a roll but you treat it like soap on a rope cuz the beats and the lines are so dope!

Anthrax and Public Enemy...that was a great collaboration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I liked it, and still sometimes do. I lived there during that time, and got what they were saying at the time. Part of it was frustration at californication of the PNW, part of it was the hypocrisy of the hippy/yuppy boomers, part was the aftermath of old growth logging which was being closed down due to environmental concerns, loss of fisheries, general economic depression in those areas where those guys were from, as opposed to the emerging tech economies of King County (Seattle/Bellevue/Redmond). (Nirvana was an Olympia band, Cobain was from Aberdeen/Hoquiam. Alice in Chains was from Spanaway). So it expressed stuff I felt. But I could not stay in that place for too long. I liked a lot of other stuff too.

Also, after a while, and particularly after the media made a big deal out of it, it started getting ruined. Obviously some of the artists (Cobain, Staley, and some others that got lucky and didn't kill themselves), were on unsustainable life paths. But those comments are about the side show, not Robert's question about the music. I did and do enjoy the music when I am in the mood for it.

My opinions were previously collected here.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=8638

and more recently here:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=15435
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, I like grunge.. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, &c. Good music, but lacking in guitar solos. It is, what it is..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    I'm still waiting for that air. Is there anything good out now in rock?
    Certainly. In a word: METAL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, too bad I never liked metal. So there is less out there now for me other than the new blues guys, and a few isolated garagey punky indie bands, at least that I can find easily. Re: metal and shred, unless it is soulful, melodic, and fits the song, I just am not a big shred or guitar solo guy. I did enjoy the VanHalen singing about girls with DLR doing his thing and Eddie doing his thing. It is fun to listen to that once in a while, but most of it is just big hair, big ego wankery to me. I could just never get into it. Vai, Satriani, Malstreem, those guys too.

I have the same problem with jam bands and endless weedely weedely ala Jerry Garcia. I saw Santana open up for the Dead in 1988 in Tacoma, and Santana's sound, and playing in the context of the music, wiped the Dead all over the floor in my opinion.

I do like extended songs sometimes, and albums that have a story to them. So that opens the door to some prog for me. But mostly, I like songs to have a beginning and an end, and not have too much endless soloing. Some blues jams or jazz improv excepted. The group experimentation there makes that more interesting to me.

Grunge to me was hard rock with a punk edge musicially and lyrically. Like strip zeppelin down some, dial back the solos, replace Page's vocals with something newer, give it some relevant lyrics that talk about something, . . . to me you had something kind of fun, and that was rebelling against the stuff I did not like at the time.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Yeah, too bad I never liked metal. So there is less out there now for me other than the new blues guys, and a few isolated garagey punky indie bands, at least that I can find easily. Re: metal and shred, unless it is soulful, melodic, and fits the song, I just am not a big shred or guitar solo guy. I did enjoy the VanHalen singing about girls with DLR doing his thing and Eddie doing his thing. It is fun to listen to that once in a while, but most of it is just big hair, big ego wankery to me. I could just never get into it. Vai, Satriani, Malstreem, those guys too.

I have the same problem with jam bands and endless weedely weedely ala Jerry Garcia. I saw Santana open up for the Dead in 1988 in Tacoma, and Santana's sound, and playing in the context of the music, wiped the Dead all over the floor in my opinion.

I do like extended songs sometimes, and albums that have a story to them. So that opens the door to some prog for me. But mostly, I like songs to have a beginning and an end, and not have too much endless soloing. Some blues jams or jazz improv excepted. The group experimentation there makes that more interesting to me.

Grunge to me was hard rock with a punk edge musicially and lyrically. Like strip zeppelin down some, dial back the solos, replace Page's vocals with something newer, give it some relevant lyrics that talk about something, . . . to me you had something kind of fun, and that was rebelling against the stuff I did not like at the time.
    Given that, there is TONS of music out there for you now. Tons.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve, what does PNW stand for?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oops sorry, the Pacific Northwest.

more about guitar solos, I don't seem to have trouble with guys like SRV, and I certainly like Mayer, Bonomassa, etc. as well. I guess I find that more melodic than the shred or metal stuff mostly. I can always find exceptions though. Eric, I am sure there is more out there. I just don't hear it much here in Idaho. I have to get on some better internet stations.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, then it's not Pathetic NitWits, huh?
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I liked grunge when it first started. It was fresh and new sounding after the hair metal bands became a self-parody of themselves.

I think some grunge was punk inspired; e.g., Nirvana, and some bands like Soundgarden were more metal/Black Sabbath inspired. Since it all came from a specific geographic region, there was a lot of cross pollination going on.

I still remember hearing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for the first time. It was the voice of Gen X crying out in protest against all the yuppie/boomer types.

Ultimately, it died the way a lot of musical trends die; out of nowhere the grassroots level bands become popular, then the recording industry takes notice, signs lots of bands and ultimately waters it down making it self parody.

I liked some of it, but some of it did come off as pretentious and/or whiny.

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Layne Staley is actually the late lead singer of Alice in Chains. Jerry Cantrell is the guitarist. I agree that he is very good.
    I always got them mixed up haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Steve, I'm from the PNW. I guess I'm still there, technically, although it seems far removed from the PNW I know and love. I lived in the Seattle area from 1990 to 1994, so I was right in the middle of it. Although I was never a huge fan of Nirvana (they do have some stuff I like, just not enough to own it), I loved Soundgarden (Kim Thayill has a HUGE guitar sound, even if he doesn't wallow in solos), Alice in Chains, and Pearl Jam. To me, Ten was Pearl Jam's opus and could never be followed up on, sort of like Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell. That's just me though.

The Grunge movement was a neccessary change, I think. The air had become stagnant, and the scene needed to be shaken. I don't listen to much of that stuff now, but I'm sure it had a hand in shaping some of my musical choices these days.

As for Grunge being depressing, that is true for some of it for sure. Steve mentioned that Kurt Cobain was from Aberdeen; if you've ever been there, you'd understand why he might have been depressed. And then there's all the rain we get in the Northwest...that can also be depressing. Maybe that's what Grunge really was...the voice of the rainclouds.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I remember someone saying "Why don't Kurt Cobain, Billy Corgan and Eddie Vedder just commit suicide already and get it over with." It was pretty funny at the time. I thought it was hilarious given the whiny, angry, angsty, complaining nature of their songs. Then Kurt went and did it. I definitely didn't think it was funny, but I can't say that I was surprised, either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    I remember someone saying "Why don't Kurt Cobain, Billy Corgan and Eddie Vedder just commit suicide already and get it over with." It was pretty funny at the time. I thought it was hilarious given the whiny, angry, angsty, complaining nature of their songs. Then Kurt went and did it. I definitely didn't think it was funny, but I can't say that I was surprised, either.
    Nice. I do think that's pretty funny, although it's harder to say that since Kurt went and ruined the joke...

Makes me wonder what sort of comparable remarks I'd have about the emo scene if I bothered to pay any attention to that at all.

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Nice. I do think that's pretty funny, although it's harder to say that since Kurt went and ruined the joke...

Makes me wonder what sort of comparable remarks I'd have about the emo scene if I bothered to pay any attention to that at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pes_laul
    Awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you cleared that up Rev.....I was about to go back and look at my AIC collection to see if I missed Layne playing guitar somewhere.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast