Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who likes Grunge?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sometimes, Grunge can serve as a coping tool, if used sparingly. Example: Back when I was a public defender, particularly in juvenile or child protection matters, I would find myself involved in disputes involving multiple levels of unreasonable inept or more likely simply over worked . . . (remainder deleted to avoid politics. Suffice it to say I was frustrated). I would find myself hauling my butt down to court for a hearing that was (text deleted, replaced again with frustrating.)

On the way down to court, I would like to put on this song and scream along for 5 minutes . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9sHoDrNEPg

After doing so, I had it out of my system, and could speak in a productive way to the lawyers, judges and people involved, without losing it.

Then later, I would like to listen to something more positive. But on the way to court, it provided a much needed release.

"Coping with Cobain"? A new self help book?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    I like flannel shirts and patterns. I wear a lot of it. But I pretty much hate grunge. I freakin' HATE Nirvana (Like, part of original grunge), and their offspring. I don't really know what "grunge" really is but I pretty much despise: Nickelback (dislike, post grunge posers), Foo Fighters (ok, but post grunge), Pearl Jam (Grunge, like some, don't like some), 3 Doors Down( don't even know those guys), Creed (way post grunge, too polished and posey), Nirvana [I](As said, I like)[/I], Alice in Chains (Lots of good stuff here, more polished than most grunge) (Except for the Dirt album), Soundgarden (Like, Cornell has great vocals) (except for the song, Pretty Noose), Candle Box (Big dislike, copiers), Bush (Same), Green Day (like, but different category, pop punk). That's all garbage that makes me want to gouge my ears out. I don't know if it's all "grunge", but to me grunge started the decline of music into what it is today and includes all of those craptastic bands.

It's awful. I'd take the worst hair band over the best grunge band every day of the week and 2x on Sundays.
    I also dislike a few of the bands you posted above. Grunge was over by the time Nickelback came around. I inserted my opinions about the bands you mentioned above. To me, real grunge was largely unproduced, was indie, was rebellious against what had been going on. When it became a national thing that record labels wanted a part of, and bands started trying to sound like grunge, it was over. Tung and Hubberjub hit that right on the head in their posts above.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; June 22nd, 2010 at 09:13 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I also dislike a few of the bands you post. Grunge was over by the time Nickelback came around. I inserted my opinions about the bands you mentioned above. To me, real grunge was largely unproduced, was indie, was rebellious against what had been going on. When it became a national thing that record labels wanted a part of, and bands started trying to sound like grunge, it was over. Tung hit that right on the head in his post above.
    This is turning a smidge defensive, so I'm going to play the part of moderator and tell everyone to cool it just a little. I wanted to defend 90s music too, but...it's OK. Live and let live. Your taste in music might be awesome, it might suck...but it's yours. That's OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    This is turning a smidge defensive, so I'm going to play the part of moderator and tell everyone to cool it just a little. I wanted to defend 90s music too, but...it's OK. Live and let live. Your taste in music might be awesome, it might suck...but it's yours. That's OK.
    Eric, thanks. I did not notice how I typed that and it might have been misconstrued. I corrected my post to make it more clear. I was trying to agree with C-64 about some of the bands he mentioned that he did not care for. I hope I was not otherwise overly defensive while defending my opinion (I could get really going if I let myself. I was very rebellious against 60's and some 70's era music at the time. I have since moderated. Since taking up guitar, I am open to a lot of stuff I had passed over before.). If I was overly defensive, I agree; Live and let live.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; June 22nd, 2010 at 09:12 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockermann
    And what was up with all the flannel?
    The flannel is, I believe, the fault of the business part of the music industry. If you watch the "Hype!" documentary, the people actually playing the music in Seattle were at best amused with the flannel thing. Those who wore it, wore it simply because it was cold, and it was extremely cheap. Same thing with the Converse shoes. It was never a deliberate attempt to create any kind of fashion out of it.

But by the time something gets out there and the right people smell money, it's pretty much out of the original idea man's hands (just look at some of the uses Nobel's dynamite has today).

While I like flannel myself because of it's feel and thermal properties, I feel it's got nothing to do with the grunge music itself, and picking on it to make a point about grunge's worth is not unlike saying that an ugly wart on somebody's face invalidates his position in an argument.

There's a few modern rock acts I like. Tool, Alice in Chains... but that's about it.
    I'm pretty sure that neither Tool nor any critic/CD-label-man ever claimed their music to be grunge.

Post Thanks / Like

I like flannel shirts and patterns. [...] But I pretty much hate grunge. [...] I don't really know what "grunge" really is but I pretty much despise: [...] I don't know if it's all "grunge", but to me grunge started the decline of music into what it is today and includes all of those craptastic bands.
    I'm sorry to have to be the one who enforces Godwin's law in this thread, but hating something that you only have a superficial idea about is what made concentration camps possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon
    Sure, I like grunge.. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, &c. Good music, but lacking in guitar solos. It is, what it is..
    Pearl Jam's music is actually full of solos. The SRV/Hendrix influenced Mike McCready takes care of that quite generously. Look up a live version of "Black" or "Even Flow" for minutes of extended soloing.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember someone saying "Why don't Kurt Cobain, Billy Corgan and Eddie Vedder just commit suicide already and get it over with." It was pretty funny at the time. I thought it was hilarious given the whiny, angry, angsty, complaining nature of their songs. Then Kurt went and did it. I definitely didn't think it was funny, but I can't say that I was surprised, either.
    Well, Kurt Vonnegut had this to say:

"I sometimes wondered what the use of any of the arts was. The best thing I could come up with was what I call the canary in the coal mine theory of the arts. This theory says that artists are useful to society because they are so sensitive. They are super-sensitive. They keel over like canaries in poison coal mines long before more robust types realize that there is any danger whatsoever."

So if the artist is actually sincere, and the public wise enough to make the difference, I'd say that's an extremely valuable social service right there. And rather than making jokes about them killing themselves and getting it over with, sometimes it just might be safer for everyone to recognize and address the problem, and maybe give a "thanks" in passing to those who pointed it out.

Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by red
    I'm sorry to have to be the one who enforces Godwin's law in this thread, but hating something that you only have a superficial idea about is what made concentration camps possible.
    ROFLMAO. You can't be serious. You just can't. You can't possibly be trying to correlate comments about "grunge" on an internet forum with the Holocaust, can you? Really?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One last thought, in turning the discussion back to liking grunge as a form of music. Let's consider who is still left. Pearl Jam, and I do like their last album. Has some good rocking stuff on it. Foo Fighters, even though they came into existence after early grunge had passed on to some thing else. They have had a good long career, and still can rock quite well. The new version of Alice in Chains, Cantrell still rocks, and they have a good new singer, though Staley's voice is missed. Soundgarden, Cornell and Thayl still rock, and Soundgarden had a reunion recently.

So keeping it simple, as a form of rock music, I still like it. There are good, big guitar sounds, even if the guitar is not used as much for soloing by some acts, good strong vocals, big drums, and it tends to rock.

Oh, and these guys are still around, doing the local, indie thing they started with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrUA7...eature=related

The Melvins and Green River are still out there playing too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_XVH...ext=1&index=25

More or less loud, arguably sloppy, indie, blues based,garage rock, maybe with some punk attitude. No wonder I like it sometimes.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

ROFLMAO. You can't be serious. You just can't. You can't possibly be trying to correlate comments about "grunge" on an internet forum with the Holocaust, can you? Really?
    Well, the definition for Godwin's law at the link I posted did use the word "humorous", so a certain level of self-irony was involved, but you don't like grunge so probably not your cup of tea communication-style-wise .

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure that neither Tool nor any critic/CD-label-man ever claimed their music to be grunge.
    Nor did I. I went off the grunge topic a bit to include modern rock as a whole.
    Steve
    P R O J E C T - 4 3
    http://www.project-43.com/
    Support Indie Music!
    http://itunes.com/project-43

Post Thanks / Like

While I like flannel myself because of it's feel and thermal properties, I feel it's got nothing to do with the grunge music itself, and picking on it to make a point about grunge's worth is not unlike saying that an ugly wart on somebody's face invalidates his position in an argument.
    Sorry, if I insulted. No harm was intended.

There's nothing wrong with flannel. I own some myself. But I sure as hell wouldn't put it on knowing I'm going on stage.
    Steve
    P R O J E C T - 4 3
    http://www.project-43.com/
    Support Indie Music!
    http://itunes.com/project-43

Post Thanks / Like

Nor did I. I went off the grunge topic a bit to include modern rock as a whole.
    I see. Excuse my part in the misunderstanding then.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, if I insulted. No harm was intended.

There's nothing wrong with flannel. I own some myself. But I sure as hell wouldn't put it on knowing I'm going on stage.
    I wasn't insulted at all, it's just that the thread seemed to go on a "flannel" tangent a tad more than it seemed relevant to the discussion, that's all. No harm done.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! I never have really listened to any of this music,Yes in the 90's I lived in isolated in the mountains.The blues is my life and my life is the blues!@sunvalley Hey are you sure that band called Mudhoney isn't form San Francisco or Hollywood?LOL! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sumi, nope. Definitely formed in Seattle. Gotta love the red Hagstrom in the video above, rocking it on out in West Seattle!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I was just teasing,but with a name like Mudhoney,makes ya wonder! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon
    Certainly. In a word: METAL!

Am I to understand these are supposed to be examples of what's GOOD? Cause I had to laugh they are so bad. Almost a parody in themselves. But then, that's just my opinion.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast