Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
How’s Your Pick Grip? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How’s Your Pick Grip?

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think much about it. After so many years, my grip just comes naturally. Pretty much standard between thumb and forefinger, w maybe 1/4" to 3/8" pokin out. Tend to hold it somewhat loosely except when playing lead, I hold it a bit tighter. That's it. I haven't thought about it in years.
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

(Bump)

In my first incarnation as a player, I held my pick in the normal manner, between thumb and index finger. In my more recent incarnation, I can't seem to get comfortable holding it that way, but hold it between my middle finger and thumb. I think it somewhat hinders me, but whenever I try to do it "correctly", it just doesn't feel right. I use mostly medium picks, and occasionally a steel pick for when I'm feeling brutally metal.

Any comments/suggestions? It seems that I hit the strings unintentionally with my pinkie more often than I used to when I held the pick in the more accepted position.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Pebber Brown covers pick holding and picking technique in the first half of this video.

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Boy I missed this thread,I have always hit a wall in this area because I am a lefty plays righty,so I tend to hold the pick tighter and I really have to practice the loose wrist,it's really hard for me sometimes to strum some patterns,I feel like Steve Martian in the Jerk.Now I play with the larger ends of the picks or use a real thick pick and have to force myself to strum instead of just playing single note runs and such.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

I vary the way I hold the pick in order to change the dynamics of the notes I am playing. By holding it very, very gently I can play a very soft passage, then gripping firmly I can dig in and get a driven sound, all without changing any volume controls or by using pedals. Some of that is due to the amount of attack you use on the strings, but simply the pressure you apply in gripping the pick can make for a huge difference. --- just my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like

I do pretty much what otaypanky said about various gipping for light touch or heavy digging. I pick rather lightly and I use .048 nylon pick. My problem is I tend to relax too much and lose my grip where the pick moved.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

My grip changes depending on what I'm playing and the dynamics I want; lighter for strumming and quieter blues, tighter for rock and P.H.'s and when I want to give some attittude to what I'm playing.

I find the lighter grip means I'm adjusting the pick more too. I currently use Jazz III's as I seem to grip it better and have less adjustments, plus they glide well.
    LesPaulgb; Star Fleet, caring, humanitarian, likes sausage and mash and cookery, has a Les Paul guitar.

My Soundclick
    My Single Father Forum
    My Guitar Forum
    My Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpfeifer
    Several years ago I started using the "fat" side of the pick instead of the "pointy" side. I use one of the corners of the pick on the fat end, and I find that it gives you a much better tone. It tends to make the tone less trebly sounding and a little darker. For strumming though, I usually rotate the pick around and use the pointy end.

-- Jim

You're in good company...I've read that Stevie Ray Vaughan held his picks this way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    "...hold it between my middle finger and thumb." "Any comments/suggestions?"
    Learn to tap. You're already holding the pick correctly
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Here's how I do it:

Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

pes_laul Guest

When I started I held it in a normal manner but after I learned how to do artificial harmonics I started holding the pick more sideways with my thumb sticking out a wee bit. I also have a very loose grip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12