Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How’s Your Pick Grip?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How’s Your Pick Grip?

How does everybody hold there picks? Do you really hold it tight for screaming solos, or do you hold it lightly. Or does the pressure or tension on the pick depend on the type of music or song being played?

I have been told I am a heavy player. That could be because I held on to my pick with a very strong grip. Over the months I have let up on the pressure and now strum with less fret buzz. Now I am finding that the pick turns between my fingers and I end up playing with the side of the pick or at times I end up dropping it on the floor.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting question... I guess my pick grip varies somewhat, but I´m probably more of a heavy grip player.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I find that with Strats and Tele's my grip is more firm and I dig in a lot harder on the strings. On the Ibanez guitars I tend to play lighter probably because they don't sound the same as Fenders when I dig in so on them I tend to let the guitar do a lot of the work.

Thumb and index finger grip with the index finger bent or curled .

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends how I'm playing, I keep my thumb straight or curved back a little and my index curved (obviously) I just grip hard enough so it doesn't turn in my fingers which is not good, especialy if you try to pick fast.

Post Thanks / Like

I grip mine enough to keep it from dropping but it moves a lot while I pick. The angle changes and I am constantly using my fingers to move the tip back in "place" as I play. For years I used to play from the sides of the pick using the fatter ends (sideways like Neal Schon used to) but I switched back to playing with the pointy end.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tim,

Interesting question. I used to hold my pick really tight. But over the years I've started to loosen up on it a bit. Part of the secret to playing faster with a pick is to loosen up on your grip a little keep your wrist loose. If you hold onto your pick too tight it works against you when you're trying to play faster runs.

Several years ago I started using the "fat" side of the pick instead of the "pointy" side. I use one of the corners of the pick on the fat end, and I find that it gives you a much better tone. It tends to make the tone less trebly sounding and a little darker. For strumming though, I usually rotate the pick around and use the pointy end.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

This really good stuff to hear from all you Fretters. I suffer the same problem Tone has about the pick turning all the time, which is what promted the question.
    Guitars:

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a rather tight grip, and angle the pick about 15 degrees relative to the strings...And use 1.0mm Tortex picks.
    Last edited by kerc; October 12th, 2006 at 09:38 AM.

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

That brings up a related question Kerc.

How thick are your picks?

I've been gravitating toward thicker & thicker picks.

At .96 - 1.15 & climbing...

Post Thanks / Like

I experimented with 2.0mm and 3.0mm picks...You can so some syrupy sounding stuff since it glides over the strings...You can also strum with the 3.0mm one and basically get no attack on the strings, just make 'em ring. Pretty cool.

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpfeifer
    Several years ago I started using the "fat" side of the pick instead of the "pointy" side. I use one of the corners of the pick on the fat end, and I find that it gives you a much better tone. It tends to make the tone less trebly sounding and a little darker. For strumming though, I usually rotate the pick around and use the pointy end.

-- Jim
    I do that too from time to time. Its also fun to mess around with different picks. Some give you a strong attack, while others are more mellow.
    I have a bucket (ok, a very small bucket) full of different picks, and when I need some extra inspiration I dig until I find one that I havent tried for a long time.... Strange? Well perhaps, but it certainly works when you need a dose of that divine plastic inspiration.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I have a jar/dish full of 'em too. Picks are cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep my picks in a little guitar shaped box made out of sea shells with red velvet hinges. Mostly White Fender heavies but a few Dunlops of varying thicknesses. I LOVE THE SMELL of new Celluloid Fender picks when you first open the package.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    I keep my picks in a little guitar shaped box made out of sea shells with red velvet hinges.
    You ol' hippie you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    You ol' hippie you!
    LMAO. Once a hippie always a hippie.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm! Red velvet hinges. We gotta see this infamous dish. Can you make an avatar reflecting this dish ... after the camera is fixed of course.
    Guitars:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    I grip mine enough to keep it from dropping but it moves a lot while I pick. The angle changes and I am constantly using my fingers to move the tip back in "place" as I play. For years I used to play from the sides of the pick using the fatter ends (sideways like Neal Schon used to) but I switched back to playing with the pointy end.
    I have struggled with that and tried to learn from Robert's pick holding vid, though my fingers don't very naturally match exactly what he is doing. I keep trying to have less pick exposed. I have ended up going lately with the larger three point picks (typically thicker ones) and that seems to help to secure my hold and increase my control.

The picks I am currently using are shaped like this:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...cks?sku=110542
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

when i find a pick i really like out of a big baggie of picks i have, i heat up a pin and stick it in the holding edges making dimples on the other side, helps a lot with turn-itis. you can get really crazy and do both sides. works great on some picks, not so good on others.

Post Thanks / Like

Generally, my thumb and first finger do all the work (like EJ or FZ) unless I am picking fast and then my arm comes into play. I usually use my other fingers to play wider intervals or chords. I am not much of a "strummer" in that regard. I find that hybrid picking lets me pretty much do anything I need to do and I use my pinky too. Just because it is little doesn't mean it needs to get left out!

=-) PJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast