Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tuning Key Help

Thread: Tuning Key Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tuning Key Help

I have a Samick acoustic guitar with no tuning keys whatsoever. I believe it originally had a set of Grovers. I would like to add a set of locking keys and would appreciate it if someone could point me to a proper set, a set that would fit. Would a set of Grovers fit? Other brands?

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

First you need o get those bushings out. Try using a small screwdriver against the back side of the bushing (CAREFULLY!!). You may need to give it a tap with something. They should push right out.

Next, measure the diameter of the bushings. They will be either 9 or 10mm.

Third, order a set of tuning pegs from somewhere like stewmac.com with the same bushing size.

Finally, I don't see why you'd want locking tuners on an acoustic. They are designed for use with vibrato units like on the Fender Stratocaster. Acoustics don't slip out that much.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Also the locking tuners adds weight to the headstock and may make it top heavy. Go with premium tuners and use the string lock technique (see Robert's post in sticky on top).
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb

Finally, I don't see why you'd want locking tuners on an acoustic. They are designed for use with vibrato units like on the Fender Stratocaster. Acoustics don't slip out that much.
    So, it's not a common practice to put them on acoustics? I'm just getting back into guitar, but I had a Guild years ago which had them(previous owner had put them on, not me) and I loved them. It stayed in tune better than any acoustic I've ever had. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman
    Also the locking tuners adds weight to the headstock and may make it top heavy. Go with premium tuners and use the string lock technique (see Robert's post in sticky on top).
    Okay. Thank you.