Thread: Not heard but read: E.C. autobiography

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not heard but read: E.C. autobiography

My sweetie found EC's autobiography at a book sale.

Hard to put down, and I just got started reading it...!
    So many interesting bits, regardless of what you think of E.C.: from the early days of Brit rock to how "Blackie" came to be, quite a few charming ladies. Everybody pretty much knew and payed with everybody back then, it seems.

"95% of the music out there is rubbish, only 5% is worth something"

Overall, one gets a sense that, like with so many other talented people, there are bits of borderline traits going on, fueling the creative juices, perhaps?
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's a good read, even for those who aren't big Clapton fans. It is amazing how EFF'ed up musicians can be while drugged and drunk. Clapton took a long time to grow up.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    That's a good read, even for those who aren't big Clapton fans. It is amazing how EFF'ed up musicians can be while drugged and drunk. Clapton took a long time to grow up.
    Yes, good read, indeed.

I did not get to the screwed-up part yet but I know enough about it, I guess.

Long time to grow up: I peaked at the end of the book, and he seems to say that, somehow, how he is more balanced now that he's ever been. Quite a road to trav
    Last edited by poodlesrule; June 24th, 2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: correction

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't like the way the book was written, the voice or style, but what really pulled me in was all the crap that he put himself through and still made music.

I felt like there was a lot more that he could have covered that wasn't mentioned and some of the stuff could have been expounded on more. To me that would have made it a completely riviting book instead it was like arriving on the scene of an accident. You know how you just stand by and watch the tragedy? Eric had plenty of tragedy going on.

Anyway, I did enjoy reading it to some degree. Mostly I thought there were too many holes that could have been filled. I wanted to know more about his life.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the part where was plotting to kill mick jager for stealing his current lady obsession

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snarph
    I like the part where was plotting to kill mick jager for stealing his current lady obsession

Spoiler!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I felt like there was a lot more that he could have covered that wasn't mentioned and some of the stuff could have been expounded on more.

Mostly I thought there were too many holes that could have been filled. I wanted to know more about his life.
    Yep, it left me feeling the same way now that I think of it. There could have been more of the right stuff.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I have read it around X-mas time last year. It was an interesting read that requires some knowledge of the names and bands of that early British era. All in all, not the best bio I have read but good in its way.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)