Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NGD Acoustic! Art & Lutherie
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NGD Acoustic! Art & Lutherie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Smile NGD Acoustic! Art & Lutherie

After much testing, the acoustic that spoke to me the most was the Art & Lutherie Spruce dreadnought. While the Seagull Coastline S6 Cedar and Yamaha FG730s were very close, the full, clear, resonate tones and incredible neck of the $360 A & L sealed the deal.

The build quality is absolutely perfect on this guitar. The tuning pegs, nut and compensated saddle, materials, and workmanship are of a much more expensive guitar, but it was the beautiful sonic expressions of the guitar that sold me.

Specs:
    Back & Sides : Wild Cherry
    Neck : Silver leaf maple
    Top : Spruce (Pressure Tested Solid Top)
    Fingerboard & Bridge : Rosewood
    Finish : High-Gloss Custom Varnish Finish
    Tusq® nut & saddle by Graphtech

Proudly handcrafted in Canada.

I love the SW Indian style rosette. The compensated saddle was a plus.

Full frontal nudity shot

Simple, clean bound headstock

Cherry back and sides

Baby got back!
    Last edited by Tig; June 24th, 2010 at 09:28 AM.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!She's a beauty! That is an awesome price also. Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! I have the same thing but with the Cedar top. And I got it on sale for the ridiculous price of $250! I, too don't like the wider neck on the Seagulls, which are essentially the same guitars otherwise (I had a S6 for a while but couldn't bond with the neck). I think the tuners are a bit creaky, but the guitar still stays in tune well. IMO, the Yamaha falls far short compared to the A & L. I advise anyone in the market for an acoustic steel string would do well to check out the Godin lines (Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick, Norman).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Jablomie
    Congrats! I have the same thing but with the Cedar top. And I got it on sale for the ridiculous price of $250! I, too don't like the wider neck on the Seagulls, which are essentially the same guitars otherwise (I had a S6 for a while but couldn't bond with the neck). I think the tuners are a bit creaky, but the guitar still stays in tune well. IMO, the Yamaha falls far short compared to the A & L. I advise anyone in the market for an acoustic steel string would do well to check out the Godin lines (Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick, Norman).
    Hey, don't tell me about that kind of price!
    The many Yamaha's I played at 2 different stores varied quite a bit in quality. The one that I really liked was great, but going 1 or 2 levels down was like night and day. The lower ones were cr@p!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Hey, don't tell me about that kind of price!
    Sorry. I did feel a bit guilty posting that, but figgered it might be helpful to anybody who's currently shopping.
    Last edited by Heywood Jablomie; June 24th, 2010 at 10:17 AM.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, congrats!

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful guitar. Congratulations.
    Guitars: Charvel/Jackson CSM-1G, DeArmond M-75, DeArmond Starfire Special, DeArmond S-73, Epiphone Collegiate UK, Squier 51, Michael Kelly Patriot Custom, Harmony Sovereign, Taylor 310, Takamine 12 string, SX thinline, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez JTK30,
    Amps: Earth Sound Research G-2000 Super Guitar head into Avatar G212H cab, Fender Sidekick 20 Chorus, Peavey Classic 20, Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Express 112, Fender Super Champ XD, Vibro Champ XD
    Effects: Digitech EX-7, Digitech RP-250

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. Congrats!

I'm a big fan of the Godin companies. I think they make great stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful. I really like A&L. I want to pick up one of their Ami parlor guitars for travel.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Nice guitar. They look better natural than those odd sunbursts they do.

Hub, the Ami parlours are really good but try to find a shop with a few. I got to try 4 or 5 once and they varied a lot in sound. I'd have bought the "best" one if I hadn't had the money for a baby Larrivee. Despite the Larivee quality it was really close.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip Mark.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Nice guitar. They look better natural than those odd sunbursts they do.

Hub, the Ami parlours are really good but try to find a shop with a few. I got to try 4 or 5 once and they varied a lot in sound. I'd have bought the "best" one if I hadn't had the money for a baby Larrivee. Despite the Larivee quality it was really close.
    Hey! I have one of those "odd sunbursts"!

BUT, it's actually because I did what you recommended. The shop had four A & L dreads to choose from, in different finishes. I spent about a half an hour playing all four until deciding on the one I thought sounded the best, and yes, they did vary. So, the one that sounded best turned out to have the "cedar antique burst" finish - well, at least it isn't blue. I didn't let the finish influence my decision, only the tone. I do agree that the burst is pretty sloppily applied. Otherwise, the finish is quite good.

I sanded down the saddle to lower the action a bit, and the thing plays quite well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey! I have one of those "odd sunbursts"!

BUT, it's actually because I did what you recommended. The shop had four A & L dreads to choose from, in different finishes. I spent about a half an hour playing all four until deciding on the one I thought sounded the best, and yes, they did vary. So, the one that sounded best turned out to have the "cedar antique burst" finish - well, at least it isn't blue. I didn't let the finish influence my decision, only the tone. I do agree that the burst is pretty sloppily applied. Otherwise, the finish is quite good.
    I haven't seen one in person, but I think the bursts look pretty cool from the website. I tend to like almost any and all finishes, unless they're kind of lamely trying to copy someone else's creativity on the cheap.

I suppose that's as dangerous a statement as saying "I will never like ____," but whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice! Congrats! That is a pretty close to vintage martin looking headstock (and bridge) they got going there. I bet it sounds and plays great!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Nice! Congrats! That is a pretty close to vintage martin looking headstock (and bridge) they got going there. I bet it sounds and plays great!
    Thx! I'm looking at this guitar to be the acoustic equivalent of what the Squier Cool Vibe Strat's and Tele's are in the electric world. Really good quality for the price, as long as you choose well.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a beauty! Congrats.

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting....my A & L doesn't have the binding on the headstock or where the back joins the sides. The photos on the website don't show that, either. You must have the rare limited edition one.... Nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Interesting....my A & L doesn't have the binding on the headstock or where the back joins the sides. The photos on the website don't show that, either. You must have the rare limited edition one.... Nice!
    See, that's what an extra $100 gets you. Ya' earned that one!

My internet shopping search found the best deal for the Spruce HG is$429, so I'm still happy with my deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    See, that's what an extra $100 gets you. Ya' earned that one!

My internet shopping search found the best deal for the Spruce HG is$429, so I'm still happy with my deal.
    No problem! Got a link?

But I did get a good price on a guitar that normally has a street price of $310 - I got lucky because my local shop decided to stop selling the A & L line, and was blowing them out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast