Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Hi all - From the very beginning

Thread: Hi all - From the very beginning

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi all - From the very beginning

Hello all,

So here's the story, I'm very new at trying to play the guitar. I've smashed around on it pretending that I can play, but nothing ever sounds as it should, even though I enjoy it.

My uncle give me a Washburn LII - at least I think that's what it is, three years ago, just before I started uni, I've never learned how to play and really want to start. I don't really have the time nor money to buy lessons yet, but now that I've finished uni I'm about to start a full time job and want to learn how to play this instrument, I absolutely love rock music, and especially the songs that I get goosebumps from when I hear a great guitar solo. It happens a lot, and I think its about time for me to be able to create these kind of riffs.

Any suggestions on what I should do to start out, like I said I'm completely new to this and have very little knowledge in reading music or even the cords on my guitar.

Thanks

This is my guitar

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Zel. Welcome!

There are a bunch of good resources here for learning how to play -- I'm sure people will have lots of suggestions. My best idea is to make some friends who play and learn from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome to The Fret, Zel. You've come to a great place full of helpful people.
    Here's a great thread to get you started called, yes, "Some advice on getting started":
    http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=11248

Dig around some older threads and you'll find plenty of useful treasures.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

welcome! As for where to start, I'd figure out what music you'd most like to play and learn a couple of songs. I find that actually doing is the best way to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard, Zel! That's a nice looking Washburn. Hope you find the time to play it!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! Yeah, At the moment I'm really into Radiohead, Kings of Leon, Biffy Clyro etc. I downloaded a video tutorial earlier, 8g worth and did the hour introduction lesson, and have to say, the tips of my fingers feel like they're going to fall off after playing the first 4 fretts over and over for just under an hour. But I've learnt quite a lot in just a small amount of time, there's 5 sections with 12 video's in each and the video's are about an hour long and they range from beginners all the way up to master.

By the way, I dont suppose any can identify what kind of washburn it is? Some background info on her wouldn't go a miss.

Zel

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Zel. I'm sure one of the guys will come along shortly and tell you which model Washburn that is. We have a few folks here that are really into Washburns.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Zei! I was a very much a noob to guitar when I joined and found lots of help here. I think that guitar looks like it would be nice!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! Our forum guru Robert has lessons on Dolphinstreet.com and there's poster Mark Wein's lessons as well. Check em out !
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Zel. My suggestion is play and play and play and play and play and play. Only time and practice makes you better. There are no short cuts. The pain in your fingers will go away but only if you play through it. If your finger tips start to break down (and they might if you use old or heavy strings) dip them in meths once a day for a week and they harden up. Thats about all I can offer you. Somone else said to team up with other musos and thats a great idea as long as you realise that they may be at a different level to you and theres nothing you can do about it except practice. As you get better, you love it more. As you love it more, you get better.
    Oh and always remember to ROCK
    If all the hippies cut off all their hair...I don't care...I don't care

Post Thanks / Like

Default Biffy Clyro - nice one!!

Hi Zel

Hope the practising is going well.
    I notice you are into some pretty cool bands etc
    I've just worked out Biffy Clyro "Many of Horror" took me ages..well worth looking at as its really addictive playing it.

If you like Radiohead then work on "street spirit" only about 3 to 4 chords but its great for picking out some single string work...keep playing dude
    Learning the guitar is like gravity...
    all it takes is a little push

learn guitar online <---(need any help)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nancyd589
    Hi !
    I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.
    Smells like Spam in here?

Last edited by Robert; December 17th, 2010 at 02:50 PM.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

welcome !
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Just having addiction

Practising is the only way but make sure you practise what is right because you may develop mistakes at the begining which will be hard to eliminate thereafter, Iam also a beginner, self taughet, now working on bar chords, though its really hard for without a teacher but Iam progressing
    The challenge now is chord progression with bare chords

Keep rocking:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cosywas View Post
    now working on bar chords, though its really hard for without a teacher but Iam progressing
    The challenge now is chord progression with bare chords
    Welcome to The Fret, cosywas!

A quick tip that helped me with bar chords...
    Place your thumb directly under (on the back side of the neck, of course) the finger you are using to bar with. It helps leverage the baring finger, kind of like pinching the thumb and index finger together. Hope this makes sense.