Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any recommendations for a stompbox tuner?

Post Thanks / Like

boss tu2. has never, ever failed me. havent eventried anything else. its a tank and keeps perfect tune.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 6stringdrug
    boss tu2. has never, ever failed me. havent eventried anything else. its a tank and keeps perfect tune.
    It's a good workhorse, ayuh, used one for a decade almost, but I still recommend you check out some of the new competition...you might be amazed how much they've improved.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

its funny, as much of a gear whore I am, my tuner is the one thing I have yet to consider changing. Now I feel tortured. This calls for a field trip to GC for some test drives. Any you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've only seriously tested the pitchblack, and that is a very nice one and not too expensive. There's not much difference to how the boss works basically, but there's a bigger display and way more leds and they don't just blink they light up very sensitively in various degrees of brightness, plus it has a strobe function...it's very easy to even set intonation with accurately or tune up from complete slack and find the right note.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

My other guitarist uses one of those, I've never thought of switching for a rehearsal, just as an experiment. we tune up seperatly and have yet to have an issue where we start off out of tune from each other. He has the floyd rose system and seems to stay in tune all night long, I dont use my trem on my strat and my other axe is a LP, i have to retune every other song. Food for thought for me, ill chew on it next rehearsal. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I made a post in favor of the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner a few weeks ago. Within a few days of that I entered a contest to win a new T.C. Electronics PoyTune and won. While I would never have gone out to purchase one since I had a few pedal tuners around, I did think that the concept was pretty interesting. I got it last week and it's pretty cool.
    Besides reliability, basic appearance, and footprint size, I think most people compare tuners based on speed and accuracy. Regarding accuracy, while the Turbo Tuner and Peterson strobe tuners are considered the most accurate, I think most tuners will get you close. Your ears are the final criteria. Some folks will hear when a string is slightly out and some won't.
    So that leaves you with speed to consider. Again, the Turbo Tuner is considered about the fastest. But that's tuning by checking each string, one at a time. I have found that when using the PolyTune at home it's really fast, because I pick up my guitar and strum once across the strings and see instantly that maybe only 1 or 2 strings need a tweak. So I only fine tune 2 strings instead of checking 6 and adjusting 2. Is it faster than other tuners when tuning 1 string at a time? No. But total time given to checking the tune of a reasonably well tuned guitar is definitely less.
    So what I had thought what was probably a 'gimmicky' product before having first hand experience of it is actually at first impression a pretty cool tuner ~

Post Thanks / Like

I tried out a Digitech Hardwire the other day. Well lit and fast.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6stringdrug
    +1

When I played my first open mic, years ago, dude showed me how to use the tuner, for tuning as well as for "muting" the PA between acts. It was a TU-2. He said get one. You'll never need another.

I found one on CL for $50, and it's served me well. This discussion of course throws everything into question.

but to the dude's original point, it has been bombproof and reliable for years now.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

You might as well get yourself a peterson. They're is none better,
    Gibson ES 345 TDC
    Gibson ES 225
    Gibson ES 175
    Gibson ES 295
    Gibson ES 350
    Gibson SG
    Fender P Bass 70s
    Fender American Strat Delux
    Fender American Tele
    Alverez Yairi Ani DeFranco