Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Do I Make My Strat Play Faster?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    The only way you can permanently hurt your guitar is if you start spinning the truss rod like a whirling dervish. A little dab'll do ya.
    Zackly! The rest is stuff that can easily be undone. Even if a novice completely screws that stuff up trying, the professional undoing of it (if that's the only thing he can do) won't cost any more than any other setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, actually, I heard of someone on another forum snapping the bridge plate on a Floyd Rose copy because the trem arm post wasn't right somehow. He yanked on it with a screwdriver until it snapped. I don't care how cheap the metal is--that pretty much redefines abuse. I didn't question if he could breathe with his mouth shut.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I think we've all overtorqued something at least once, and hopefully learned to gauge the limits of miscellaneous hardware, and gauge our own strength in the same regard. I've seen plenty of skilled pros break stuff from time to time. Stuff happens.....

Post Thanks / Like

Something thats missing from this discussion, is a discussion of the general health and quality of a guitars neck.

Standard issue Strats, MIMs in particular, are built to meet a price point while turning a profit and Fender expects thqt those of us who are buying "Consumer grade" guitars to be happy with consumer grade performance. Primo materials, decent fret work and close production tolerances cost $$$ but we can stack the deck on our favor be shopping carefully. After that, a little professional help can work wonders.

If you take your guitar to a good Luthier, if he has the tools , he can put your guitar in a jig and check the neck for twisting, high spots, low spots, bends and then check the frets. There are lots of Strats that pass Fender's QC and are within production tolerances but aren't close to being "right". I've learned the hard way that whether its an acoustic or an electric, even after choosing a guitar carefully, spending $100 or $200 for some professional help is a good investment.

Two examples:

1) I bought an EJ that played OK but developed ""EJ high E string running off the board syndrome." It turned out to have a banana shaped neck and miraculously, I ended up with a new, hand picked Strat. The new one plays worlds better than the first example because someone went through a warehouse full of Fenders to find one "Good One".

2) Bought a Mint condition Brawley Attack at an auction for $130. Great guitar and it played fine but I took it to my luthier who removed the neck, straightened it to almost dead straight, re-crowned and polished the frets and put the guitar back together. Now my "Auction Find" plays just as nicely as my EJ. (Maybe better, Hard to tell!)

3) I have a MIM Strat that I never could bond with but three years later I fund a nice, used, custom-built neck at a music flee market for $150. I bought it, pulled the neck off of the MIM, bolted the heavier, wider, fatter fretted, custom neck to the MIM and spent a day setting it up myself. Now, what was a POS beater, is a killer instrument that feels, plays and resonates like a much more expensive guitar. It'll be getting new pickups shortly.

4) Two decades years ago when I was much dumber, I bought an expensive Martin OM-28. I only kept it for a few months before I resold it to the same Staten Island shop I bought it from. The shop's assistant manager looked at the guitar and complained that it needed a neck reset. After I showed him me receipt I said: "If that guitar needs a neck reset now, it needed one when you guys sold it to me!!!" (Thats where the argument started!) In the end they paid me what I wanted, took the guitar back and probably sold it as/was to some other fool.

It's all about the necks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mymindsok View Post
    It's all about the necks!
    That is indeed where it's at. I always say that you can make any guitar good if the neck is or can be made good.
    Body materials, most other things (especially in an electric)...pfff...insignificant compared to the neck.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monkus View Post
    This is why I enjoy this forum so much, any other place, this would have degenerated sadly, Great tips Deeaa & MarkB!
    +1
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

I've never found a strat that couldn't be made to play well with some professional assistance. Maybe the early MIM I had for a few years was the exception but, on reflection I just never really liked the neck profile. It was fine otherwise.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12