Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Hagstrom Viking Deluxe V.R.S. Gibson ES335

View Poll Results: Who do you think won the comparison?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Viking

6 30.00%
  • ES335

7 35.00%
  • No clear winner

6 30.00%
  • Apples and Oranges

1 5.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hagstrom Viking Deluxe V.R.S. Gibson ES335

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Hagstrom Viking Deluxe V.R.S. Gibson ES335

Just saw this on Youtube and thought some of you might get a kick out of this as well. I am pleasantly surprised with the out come. At least in my opinion. Who do you think was the winner?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxt6IfXoWUQ

Post Thanks / Like

Goes to show that tone-wise, the amplifier is the bigger factor.

Post Thanks / Like

to my ear and the crappy laptop speakers, the Gibby is mellower on the neck pup, I guess whichever tone you prefer. The viking is easier on the wallet tho'.
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the Gibby sounded better.
    2 Grand better not sure!

Also seem to me they had different strings too but that could just be me.
    I would take either one.

But as far as hollow Bodies goes tops on my list right now are

1. Taylor T3
    2. Gibson CS-336
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm, I thought the difference was subtle at best. It was the same amph, and is my amph so I recognized the sound. I guess because that first clip sounded just like my guitar through my amph clean, I liked it the best. I did not think the Gibby sounded that much different though. Also, I just cannot see me spending that much on a Gibby for such a subtle difference.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Hmm, I thought the difference was subtle at best. I guess because that first clip sounded just like my guitar through my amph clean, I liked it the best. I did not think the Gibby sounded that much different though.
    I agree. I was listening to it blind, but I did see that he started with the Viking. Seemed to be very similar. I think you'd really have to listen closely to pick up the differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a little biased but the Gibby was the winner. The gibby just has that 335 tone. The hagstrom is close but lacks the rounded tone of the Gibson.
    Also the tailpiece on the Hag might make a difference in it sounding a little "tinny" to my ears.
    I have owned lots of 335 copies and they all sounded "pretty close" but you know what second is? The first loser. I spent 2000 on a Mint 335 and it is pure sweetness in ebony.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

The Hagstrom has slightly hotter and harsher pickups. It's hard to tell much else with a combination of YouTube compression and teensy weensy laptop speakers.
    Even given the limitations, an easy win for the Gibson. Replace the pickups in the Hagstrom though and it'll get closer. Not spot on as zman says.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

The 335 was clearly warmer sounding. I preferred that tone over the Viking.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Question: did the guy even go to the bridge pickup on the 335? I didn't see or hear him play anything other than neck and combined on the 335, but he did do bridge on the Viking.

I see some comments about the 335 being warmer and wonder if I'm missing something, because comparing neck to neck, I really struggle to hear a difference.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the 335 sounded better but really they both sounded very good.

I don't think much is going to sound better than the 335...it is what it is for a reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If I had lottery money, I'd go with the Gibby... A vintage one for that matter!

But back in reality, the Hag is the choice, but I'd be looking at a Ibanez Artcore Custom as well.

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Question: did the guy even go to the bridge pickup on the 335? I didn't see or hear him play anything other than neck and combined on the 335, but he did do bridge on the Viking.
    Excellent point Eric. This was not a very good review. If he wanted it to be a little more professional he would have played the same progression or licks on both guitars. Instead, he just kind of wanks away on the Viking and then slows down quite a bit on the Gibson. I don't think he played the bridge pickup on the 335 either. To my ears the Gibson did have a more complex sound. That's not even a high end 335. That's one of the satin finish models with no fingerboard binding.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I think there should have been one more selection in the poll: I hear what I want to hear

Post Thanks / Like

True dat.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Jablomie
    I think there should have been one more selection in the poll: I hear what I want to hear
    Ha. That's the most truth in this thread yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

HaHa! I like that one! I tried to answer kinda that way when I said the difference was subtle, but I picked the Hag through the C-30 because it was the sound I was used to. I voted Hag, but I probably should have voted no clear winner between the two clips. Though I dare say the Hagstrom wins the bang for the buck test as between the two, in my book anyway.

Here is a Gibby compared to a knock off Guild played by the same guy. I have always liked the Guild clip better, but there could be many, many reasons for that. I think the Guild pups may be a bit hotter or more saturated, or maybe the recording is. I really don't know. Certainly the quality of the recording of the Guild seems better.

But would I lose sleep over which guitar he was playing? Nah. Same with the above comparison. The extra couple/few thousand (or whatever it is) would not be worth it to me. Enjoy these below though. Nice semihollow numbers each.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lw5aA7XUFw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvy4oybNIxA
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Jablomie

Of course there are definite differences between those two guitars but "hearing what I want to hear" can be the most important factor of all.

There was a rather famous broadcast by the BBC in 1974 that assembled violin greats Isaac Stern, Pinchas Zuckerman and violin expert Charles Beare.
    A professional violinist played behind a screen the violins belonging to the famous players (a Strad, a Guarneri del Gesù, and a Vuillaume) along with a modern (1 year old) violin from British maker Ronald Praill. None of the panelists could identify the Praill and they furthermore had limited success identifying their own instruments.

Of course there are important differences between instruments. The Hag and 335 do sound different. But I do think that sometimes our ears can be "fooled" by our heads. And as someone else has mentioned, badly compressed audio played through computer speakers is no real test at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's cool John was playing a Guild. But I definitely think the suit affected his tone. That and the fact that I think he was playing through a different amp.
    I think the player has an awful lot to do with the final sound. Beside using different amps or guitars, your tone will be influenced by the cable, the pots and caps, your playing attack and personal style, type of pick or finger pickin', etc. Years ago there was a jam I attended for years. I have a number of guitars and amps and each week I'd bring something different. One night a guy came over to me and said "I don't get it. I have heard you play dozens of times, with all different amps and guitars, but you always have the same tone. Why is that?" I realized then how much 'your tone' is based on much more than your gear. Of course, we all have a particular tone in our head and we tend to tweak things to get that sound, whatever it may be.
    And I'm a firm believer in the fact that you don't need expensive gear to get a great sound.
    I had a few DeArmonds that were nice, fat ones and thinlines. An Epiphone re-issue of a Les Paul Signature I had for years was one of the sweetest guitars I have ever owned, very versatile. I have an original '73 Gibson in a goldtop finish too, so I eventually sold the Epi. I have a few other hollow bodies too and I love 'em. A '66 ES-335 I bought in '68 from my school friend for $200. I got a '66 Deluxe Reverb included in the $200 price. At least I still have the 335. And I have a Gibson Johnny A.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast