Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Norman Guitars are great

Thread: Norman Guitars are great

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Norman Guitars are great

Just played a couple of Norman Guitars. Wow, they are very, very nice.

http://www.normanguitars.com/models.html

I played a $400 one that sounded better than the $1,000 Martin sitting next to it.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Yet another testament to Godin acoustics. I've played and owned Seagulls and A & Ls, but haven't played a Norman, although I think they're all basically the same thing. I won't get into comparing them with much higher priced guitars, but I will say that at a given price point, they beat the hell out of most everything out there. For example, I challenge anyone to show me a $250 guitar that can even approach the A & L.
    Last edited by Heywood Jablomie; June 29th, 2010 at 02:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. I think Godin makes quality stuff, and they seem to put priorities on the important stuff like making it sound good and play well. Sometimes that's at the expense of features and looks, which I think makes them a little bit of a cult favorite, but I guess that means better prices!

Wikipedia seems to rank all of the daughter companies in terms of their quality level, and Simon & Patrick is supposedly the high-end acoustic one. Has anyone played guitars from all of the companies (Norman, Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick) who can weigh in on whether there is any difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I think they're very similar in quality and performance at their price points, Eric. The S&P guitars are meant to be less of a "signature" look for those who want something a bit more Martin-y. I have no idea why Norman, Seagull and A&L are separate brands when they share that laminated cherry construction. They could call them all Godin with the A&Ls as the entry level (I hate that expression) instruments and the Seagulls and Normans offering a choice of features higher up the range.

But hey, it's their company and they seem to be doing alright.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    I have no idea why Norman, Seagull and A&L are separate brands when they share that laminated cherry construction.
    Totally off-topic (surprise!), but I read or heard somewhere that when manufacturers talk of solid back & sides, it's actually only the back, because the sides need the structural integrity provided by laminate. Is that true, or are higher-end solid-construction acoustics made with one slab for the sides too?

That question is not limited to the Godin axes, obviously, but asking about acoustics in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Totally off-topic (surprise!), but I read or heard somewhere that when manufacturers talk of solid back & sides, it's actually only the back, because the sides need the structural integrity provided by laminate. Is that true, or are higher-end solid-construction acoustics made with one slab for the sides too?

That question is not limited to the Godin axes, obviously, but asking about acoustics in general.
    The sides of both my Gibson and Larrivee better be solid wood or I'll want to know why not. There is a bit of marketing talk (read: lying) employed by some manufacturers over how much of their guitars are solid wood. Martin has made some of their cheaper guitars with a solid back and laminated sides. I think Taylor has too. This may be where this idea comes from.

As ever, shop with your ears (not eyes, spec sheet, HC ratings etc) and you can't go wrong

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a Larrivee all Mahogany,and I have never really owned a nice acoustic before,this baby is awesome it will take some time for me to get the nevere to BANG away on her but I will.I am very impressed with this guitar,so another thumbs up to the guitar makers in Canada! Sumi OH I paid 650.00 with and awesome HSC,I also can't say enough about this case also,it is a custom made one to the guitar,I guess there custom made to fit all different models.
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Hell Yeah! I own a Norman acoustic and it sounds great! I had a fishman matrix pickup put in it. It is my go to acoustic. I love how the low notes come out, and the intonation is great! A very well spent $400 bucks!
    Guitar: ESP LTD EC-400VF
    Amp: Jet City JCA20H
    Cab: Custom built 2x12 with Eminence Governor & Private Jack Speakers, and convertible back.
    Effects: Electro Harmonix Power Boost, Original Crybaby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    I just got a Larrivee all Mahogany,and I have never really owned a nice acoustic before,this baby is awesome it will take some time for me to get the nevere to BANG away on her but I will.I am very impressed with this guitar,so another thumbs up to the guitar makers in Canada! Sumi OH I paid 650.00 with and awesome HSC,I also can't say enough about this case also,it is a custom made one to the guitar,I guess there custom made to fit all different models.
    The internal construction on my first series Larrivee parlour guitar almost brought a vintage Gibson and modern Martin owning friend to tears. That Larrivee cost £400 brand spanking (US$600 at the time). An impeccably assembled guitar. No glue drips, no gaps in the kerfing, nothing! Why so cheap for a handmade guitar? Slight grain irregularities in the timber (amber stripes in the ebony for instance). So well put together that it actually took me months to spot that the fingerboard is bound. Ebony bound with ebony

Which body style did you get, Sumi?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    I am very impressed with this guitar,so another thumbs up to the guitar makers in Canada!
    +1
    Canadian luthers are quite impressive.

Oh, Canada!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I got an all Mahogany L-03 model,I was looking at a Martin d-15 and was reading some reviews and a lot of good was said of the Larrivee so gave it a shot,I work on cars so when I get home I scrub my hands 3 times before I even touch it(that will change) its so perrty and got that new guitar smell!LOL! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    +1
    Canadian luthers are quite impressive.

Oh, Canada!
    3 Bonus Points to Tig for that....
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Lest we not forget some of their other fine achievements

Post Thanks / Like

Labatt? No man, sorry but that won't do. We need this!

By the way, who's that shady figure with a white strat? Must be some no-good import!

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't know for sure until you send me some