Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
How often do you compose?

Thread: How often do you compose?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How often do you compose?

I'm interested in how often y'all create your own music...

Discuss!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good question!

Um, I usually compose when need arises. When some band or project needs a song, I'll just make a handful. Always found it the easiest aspect of playing to be make songs. That would mean maybe once a month or less. Sometimes I just ask the guys to shout out random chord names and make them work as a song, usually works just as well as anything else.

However, I'd say maybe ~six times a year I kind of spontaneously come up with a song that is a bit more complex or thought out, you know, home alone at night and watch TV and play the guitar, most situations like that a song just comes from somewhere, usually 2-3 parts for one at least, and then I figure out how does the rest of it go. I record it on my cell phone for later use...I have a bunch of those awaiting on my cell even now. In case I need a song somewhere.

When I get a song from like some dude without any vocal melody, i.e. just the base and am asked to make a vocal melody, I just hit record and sing whatever comes to mind. Maybe have to take a few stabs at it, but often the very first spontaneous melodies work the best.

With my Internet band, P-43, I take a lot longer with the melodies, used to actually compose them on a midi keyboard which no longer works, sadly...but with P-43 these days I'll first play the chorus over and over again and test different approaches, then verses, and then sing a demo of it which I may or may not send for approval by others, and then when I'm happy with the melody, the final take. Which kind of is a problem due to having so little time to do that stuff these days. But I have to spend the time because I don't want to make just regular heavy melody stuff - especially after three albums I feel I just have to find a little different approaches than just follow the normal scales over the chords.

I guess making vocal melodies is composing as well, so, maybe I then all together compose some 30 or so tunes per year, i.e. a couple each month. A little over one third of them end up on some demo I guess, the rest go to desk drawer or are simply forgotten later.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

At my age, I'm more worried about de-composing....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Just playing for fun, I've spent almost zero time actually writing something. It's been a real weakness in my development as even a pseudo-musician.

I've focused so much on the academics of music and learning some songs in between that I've never challenged myself that way.

After having read "Effortless Mastery" I have sat down a couple of times, with a fresh blues scale, and put together a few short lines. And you know what? I had a blast! I'm sure it's not the best, and for the amount of time I spent working on the stuff it's very short - but when I kinda put the academics aside and forgot about playing something I already knew I had FUN and I played for longer than I normally would have.

Great exercise to create music but very different for those of us that don't play in a band or have other careers to put food on the table. I wish I had more time to dedicate to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    At my age, I'm more worried about de-composing....
    Heheh...the trick is to enjoy liberal amounts of preservative agents internally.
    I recommend Jägermeister ;-)
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I go through spurts... Normally, I'll just be sitting down playing the guitar and I'll fall on to a riff and say, "Hey, that'd make a good song..." and start working on it from there. I'd say I probably do that three or for times a month. Sometimes more if I'm really trying to come up with stuff, instead of letting it come to me.
    Last edited by Rockermann; July 1st, 2010 at 12:51 PM.
    Steve
    P R O J E C T - 4 3
    http://www.project-43.com/
    Support Indie Music!
    http://itunes.com/project-43

Post Thanks / Like

I've meant to compose songs for 3-6 months now, but I never actually sit down and write out the chords or record anything. I basically bumble onto some minor-key riff that I like, loop it, and play over it for awhile, then forget it. I probably do that once a week.

As for entire songs with lyrics and stuff, nope. Made up a few chord progressions and solos for songs, melody lines and lyrics other people had made once or twice, but that's as close as I've come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

The last time I wrote or co-wrote a song was in 1981. I've got a few ideas on the go at present, so that'd be about every 30 years.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I compose very regular, due to the fact that I am the main composer in our bluesband and my second profession became studio recording and composing for promotions, companies, artists etc...So I am in a current process of composing music.

I think there is also something like uncincious composing. Well, sometimes you play a riff and some weeks later you start a song on that riff as it comes back to your mind. That's also some kind of composing process.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)