Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Two...two....two Tele's in one! - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Two...two....two Tele's in one!

Post Thanks / Like

First step completed--won the P-Rails auction! Brand new pickup for $20 less than retail. Just ordered the pickguard from GFS, too....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

OK.......so you're buying 1 P-rail pup. What's the other pup? Could you use 2 P-rails pups on your Tele?

Sorry if these are dumb questions.......just trying to understand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    First step completed--won the P-Rails auction! Brand new pickup for $20 less than retail. Just ordered the pickguard from GFS, too....
    Hey, so you can put that in your tele? It is routed for it? Would it fit my CV?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    OK.......so you're buying 1 P-rail pup. What's the other pup? Could you use 2 P-rails pups on your Tele?
    Not without major surgery. The CV Tele's are routed for anything up to full humbucker size (which the P-Rails is) at the neck position, but have the traditional slanted single coil routing at the bridge position. I am going to try a GFS Fatbody Tele pickup at the bridge as part of this change.

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Hey, so you can put that in your tele? It is routed for it? Would it fit my CV?
    Yes, as described above.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    Yes, as described above.
    *re-reads thread* Oh, ok. Cool! This mod might end up being enough of a motivation to make me try it. Though I don't dislike the neck pup in my guitar at all, the idea of a p-90/bucker in the neck sounds killer. Having done the connector system, do you see any downside to doing it that way instead of just hardwiring the modified pup?

EDIT: after re-reading your recent posts on this, I hope you find a way to handle the issue with the bridge pup. Come on you mad scientist! We're counting on you!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

The quick connector system is great if you think you might be switching back and forth between pickups. But if it's a permanent change you plan to make, it's probably more trouble than it's worth, since it takes a lot longer to set up the first time than just soldering a new pickup in place.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok, and if you figure out how to make this p-rail pup work, it will have both single coil and bucker capabilities so no real need to swap back and forth via the connector system. So, I hope this mod works for you so I can look at copying it!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Got the GFS Tele pickguard with the humbucker neck cavity today, so I took the opportunity to start prepping the guitar for the pickup change later this week when the P-Rails arrives. Thought I'd take a couple of photos while I was at it.

Here's the CV '50s Tele with the pickguard & minihumbucker removed. Note the size of the neck pickup routing--full humbucker size. BTW, those are just light scratches in the black conductive paint on the inside of the cavity, reflecting the camera flash:

Here's the new pickguard with a spare humbucker I had mounted into it and then set in place on the Tele body. Fits like a glove!

A wider angle shot of the preceding, showing the full body of the guitar. BTW, that's a new GFS "Fat Body" bridge pickup that I ordered along with the pickguard. Figured I try one of them along with the P-Rails, as long as I was "under the hood":

Here's a shot of the previous pickguard, showing the mini-bucker mounting and the quick connect wiring. The green stuff is heat-shrink over the wire splice and connector pin soldering:

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very cool! Go mad scientist go!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

A bit more progress--received the new P-Rails pickup yesterday, so here's a shot of the Tele with it mounted. Note the small toggle switch at the lower right side of the pickguard, near the control plate--that's the 3-position on-off-on SPDT switch that controls the P-Rails configuration. The middle "off" position is the dual-coil humbucker setting; up is the P-90 coil and down is the Rail coil. The switch is wired per the diagram from the Duncan site shown below, except I used an SPDT (the diagram shows a DPDT, with half unused) and the two wires coming off the throws don't go to the volume pot. Instead, they are wired to pins, like those shown in the mini-humbucker photo posted above, and then fed through the hole between the neck routing channel and the control cavity, which is where the "quick connector" that they plug into is located. The toggle switch is positioned to be right down at the end of the diagonal channel in the neck routing, so that it's as far from the strings as possible and won't interfere with picking/strumming.

I plan to finish up the control cavity wiring tonight. Adding a two-pin quick-connect for the bridge pickup, too. Might as well take this idea all the way...

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Wrapped it up this evening. Here's a photo of the finished guitar and a diagram I put together showing how the whole thing is wired together. Sounds just great--each position of the P-Rails' 3-way coil-splitter toggle sounds distinctive, and that carries over to the parallel and series combinations with the bridge pickup. Speaking of which, my initial impression of the GFS Fat Body I installed at the bridge is quite positive--a bigger, fuller tone than the stock pickup, but still a good, snappy Tele character. The P-Rails full humbucker setting is quite distinctive--doesn't sound like any other neck humbucker I've heard, which I guess isn't surprising, based upon how different the two coils are. Maintains quite a bit of the P-90 character, but smoother, fatter and a bit louder. Very attractive.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Awesome! The combination of the P-Rail and 4-way switching could keep you busy experimenting for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very cool! I would love to put the toggle somewhere else, but based on the routing, it looks like that is the best place. I hope to hear some clips sometime soon! Excellent work, and excellent documentation. Makes it so even goof balls like me can follow what is going on. Congrats!

PS, do you have a shot of the back of the PG after the mods were completed but before you screwed it back on?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to put the toggle somewhere else, but based on the routing, it looks like that is the best place.
    Me, too, but unless you're willing to remove wood, that's pretty much the only place to put it. I generally strum/pick over the neck pickup, right around the 2nd octave point anyway, so it's not in my way at all where I have it.

PS, do you have a shot of the back of the PG after the mods were completed but before you screwed it back on?
    No, I didn't. Wasn't much to see--looked pretty much like the photo above of the mini-bucker from the back, except for the toggle. The switch wiring really wouldn't be clear unless I took an extreme close-up shot--I figured that the diagram was the better way to show that.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Two...two....two Tele's in one!

Pretty nice. Clips or it didn't happen
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Bosstastic!

I would love to switch out the HB in my Tex-Mex Tele Special for a p-rail, but it already has a 5-way switch. So it could get dicey.

Post Thanks / Like

Can I just give this thread a bumpity-bump to see if DVM still likes that p-rail after five months?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Still diggin' it! Makes for a very flexible guitar--lots of different tones on tap. I think the P90 setting is probably my favorite, especially for the Open G stuff (Stones, Black Crowes, a bit of slide) that I use this guitar for, but all 3 modes sound good. Duncan hit a home run with this one, IMO.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool rig DVM.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast