Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
P-90 for neck of tele?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P-90 for neck of tele?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default P-90 for neck of tele?

For my CV squier custom. You know the one with the binding. The neck pickup stopped working and I thought it might be fun to try a P-90 in it. Any recommendations? Not too pricey because it still is only a Squier. The original pick ups are alnico V single coils. I am to leave the bridge as is.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.guitarfetish.com/P90-Guit...kups_c_83.html

And they sell Tele pickguards with a P90 neck cutout, too--white, black or vintage white.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    http://www.guitarfetish.com/P90-Guit...kups_c_83.html

And they sell Tele pickguards with a P90 neck cutout, too--white, black or vintage white.
    Thank you sir.

Kirk Fletcher here has a P90 in his Suhr tele:

I think that sounds pretty good! The Alnico V single in my tele sounded a lot like a strat neck. I would not mind something warm and round sounding like that p-90 if the volumes matched up decently. I like mixing a warm neck sound with a little bite from a neck pickup. I know G&L makes p-90 equipped teles. *Looks* Well lookee here! The Classic Bluesboy 90 is just what I was thinking of! http://www.glguitars.com/instruments...y-90/index.asp

Looks a lot like the CVC, and I was thinking a black pickguard too. Maybe setting up a quick connect and finding a traditional tele pickup to put into the stock mint guard.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments...3PBLK-1200.jpg

Here is a vid, with not great recording.

They don't show the middle position I don't think. Anyway, I think it will work. Maybe I can find a G&L ASAT 90 somewhere. Someone else on my other forum suggested a GFS Alnico p90. Might be worth a shot.

The old neck pickup was pretty close to the neck single in my strat, which is also Alnico V. So I am not concerned about losing that neck sound on this guitar.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious to hear how your Tele sounds after you put in a P90. I looked at the G&L site, but it didn't specify the mags in the bridge SC or the neck P90. Alnico Vs generally have an edge to them, so just be mindful of that in case that isn't the tone you want. You will be getting a stock pup.......not a custom wind.....so the magnet issue may come into play more than if you had a custom-wind.

Good luck with your project SVL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks PBP! I may call G&L just to see what they are using. I will also call GFS and see if I can talk about it with someone there. I am thinking their Alnico Vintage P90 might work pretty well. I want some warmth, but also some bite, so that could be about right.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

SVL, you might want to consider a humbucker-sized P90, like the GFS Mean 90, so that if in the future you want a different sound, it'll be easy to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok, after a bit of research I am leaning heavily toward a BG vintage P90. http://bg-pups.com/p90s/vintage-p90/ Bryan was really responsive to my questions which was great. Bryan's pickups are about $30 or so more expensive than GFS, but he said he will wind it even a little custom to fit my bridge pickup so I am sold. GFS did not get back to my email, so they lost that aspect of my business. I will still probably order a pick guard from GFS as I intend to simply make up a second pickguard for this pickup configuration. Probably, as long as I am doing it, I will do DVM's mod and do a quick connect system of some kind so I can experiment with this guitar. I may end up with a third configuration with a Filtertron type pickup in the neck. Who knows?!

Ok, off to ask DVM a question in his tele mod thread.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

You're going with BG Pups Vintage P90, huh? LMAO

I have 3 custom-made lap steels and I have Bryan's pups in all 3 steels. Suffice to say that he is a fabulous winder with copious amounts of pixie dust. He tweaks his winds. Love his pups in my steels.

I have his Hot90 (Vintage 90 just a bit hotter) as my bridge pup in my Southern Belle and his Custom Blues Tele Neck in the neck position.
    http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewt...southern+belle

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes sir! Good to hear your good results too. I have heard nothing but good about his work. And his responses to my queries were stellar. When a GFS pup is going to run me $33.95 anyway, it seems almost a no brainer to spend an extra $32 and get a hand wound neck P90 just for my needs. He immediately recommended either the vintage P90 wound by him a bit specially for the CV, which he knows, or the Pure90 HB size. So since he knows what I am after, I am happy to give him my business. I will report later after I pull the trigger.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks like you made a good choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks like Warmoth will be my best bet for a P90 cut pick guard, unless I have extra holes like DVM. They are still pretty reasonable at $25. Gonna go BWB 3 Ply with the black P90. I think that will look clean and nice. The 3 ply will look good with the binding.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Your plans sound like you really put some thought into this project.

I really like the ideas of using the black pickguard, bwb, and having a black covered P90 in it. I think it will make the guitar look stealthy and laid back, but when you play it, it will be able to really sound awesome.

Oh yeah, I believe on most telecasters that the neck pickup is Reverse Wound, Reverse Polarity (RWRP). You might want to have the P90 wound RWRP so you still get that noise cancelling in the middle switch position. That is something that I would definitely want because in the past I have had some noisy single coils. Some single coils I have are remarkably quiet, like my Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro tele pickups in my MIM tele. They are very quiet and noise cancel in the middle position - zero comparison to the super noisy hot ceramic pickups that came stock in it.

It sounds like you are going to be getting a great pickup and I bet it sounds great. I wouldn't be surprised if you find your switch in that position most of the time.

It sounds like a really cool project. Those CVC teles are really nice guitars and a lot of people have built them into awesome guitars.
    As in this CVC a woman did that made it into Bigsby's web page.
    http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.p...975076#p975076

Good luck with the project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys! I am excited for a little project!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

SVL.......it goes without saying that if you
    ever need Humbuckers or single coils for your gits.......then Bryan is the way to go. I have his buckers and single coils in my steels. Hmmmmm.......in fact in my P90 steel, I have his single coil Custom Blues Tele Neck in there.

Post Thanks / Like

wow i dug the first vid. the second was a good guitarist but not a good recording. anyway i am personaly a humbucker guy but that was good man.

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa, now Duffy has gone & done it! That Bigsby installation on a CVC Tele has me thinking....always a dangerous (and expensive) thing!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default P-90 for neck of tele?

Found me a vid featuring a BG P90 that helps confirm my choice. I love this sound.

youtube_share video

His has a BG A3 in the bridge and mine is an Alnico V, but I think it will still work.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

UPDATE: I ordered a P90 from Bryan Gunsher (BG Pups) and a "Rock Wind" A3 tele bridge pickup to match last week, (he is about 2 or 3 weeks out on orders), and just now ordered a BWB pickguard from Warmoth to fit it, and the 4 way solderless wiring kit from Santellan Sounds. http://www.elek-trix.com/collections...y-lever-switch

The parts should filter in over the next week or two, so I can put it all together!

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    The parts should filter in over the next week or two, so I can put it all together!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast