Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Lone Star Strat Harness...any options?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lone Star Strat Harness...any options?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lone Star Strat Harness...any options?

Guys,

I sent my 1996 50th Anniversary Lone Star Strat to check the pups, the 2nd position sounded horrible. and it came back with loads of hum. Apparently the guy didn't know what he was doing and kept soldering and resoldering and there's damage to the components. I want to keep the Tex Mex pups and Pearly Gates as they sound really awesome. I do want to change everything else, pots, caps, wiring and switch. I found a some pre wired harnesses online but i need guidance. Help?

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you need exactly A hss pots caps and switch harness.Do you want the whole thing wired up so to prevent having to solder?? I think this is what your saying.Here is a short cut for you !!

http://support.fender.com/service_di...0_02B_SISD.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mr MudCat! I was trying to avoid heavy soldering. Was thinking of a prewired harness that I can give another tech friend here to just solder the pups to the harness. Replace everything but the pups and screw back in. I found this:

http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts...t#.Udwh7VO9zfc

and this, which looks like the same thing, maybe a reseller:
    http://goodvibrations.pro/product/st...ab-description

This one (which requires soldering):
    http://www.guitar-mod.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=HSSK2

And this, which includes a neck on-push pull pot:

I've never done this before, so need expert guidance from thefret on which are reliable components/dealers. Also if there are any cool suggestions as to which caps, what value pots to use for a creamier tone or any other mod suggestions. As I'm replacing the innards, I might as well do the mods now.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

While it's not impossible to permanently damage pots, etc., by soldering, I would think that you'd have to try pretty hard to do it. Or use something like a soldering gun with way too much power for the job. Sounds to me like there's a grounding issue somewhere. Or he rewired the middle pickup out of phase by reversing the leads which would make the second position sound terrible* and add hum. It's not that hard to completely rewire a guitar. I've done it and I'm an idiot.

* I realize that some people like the out-of-phase sound (hello, Brian May!) but if you're not expecting it, it's going to sound thin, nasal, and terrible.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Rev, It could have been my fault. Apparently the Lone Star strat uses a Super Switch" which I didn't get to replace the old one. I got a normal pcb switch not knowing any better. I think the whole things confusticated and just want to start from scratch. When I kept getting the hum in all positions I took the guitar to a fellow player who I respect, and he suggested that the components may have been damaged. I need to fix the girl so she could dance again.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point Rev!! Although ive seen some pots rendered useless from over heating them personally, I agree you have to try real hard!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Monkus pot values and caps are listed in the diagram give me some time today when I can I will look at some sellers !! All pots are 250k and I suggest the same or 500k on volume for bridge) . there is .05 cap(treble bleed I believe) on first tone under volume pot and the last tone pot(bottom) is a .22. Here is a hss kit from mojotone a very good company with inline pricing.( What I mean is standard fair pricing not overpriced)!!

http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts...t#.Udwxf_m1E3k Coil tap push/pull pot to tap the bridge is a good option and I saw a kit while glancing at mojo. Personally I have had this setup with PG pup in bridge and texas specials in mid/neck positions and played lead with a straight up bridge humbucker everything else on neck/middle!! There are many options and I can go on and on not a good thing!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monkus View Post
    Rev, It could have been my fault. Apparently the Lone Star strat uses a Super Switch" which I didn't get to replace the old one. I got a normal pcb switch not knowing any better. I think the whole things confusticated and just want to start from scratch. When I kept getting the hum in all positions I took the guitar to a fellow player who I respect, and he suggested that the components may have been damaged. I need to fix the girl so she could dance again.
    Yeah, without the super switch, you will not get the switching combinations that you want. Wiring up one of those is substantially more involved. If by pcb switch you mean the ones typically used in cheaper import guitars, those would be pretty easy to destroy. If it is one like this:

it would be harder, although not impossible to wreck.

The Mojotone option would save you a lot of time and it looks to be made of good parts. It'll cost you, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat View Post
    Good point Rev!! Although ive seen some pots rendered useless from over heating them personally, I agree you have to try real hard!!!
    Yeah, I was going to say "almost impossible" but then I changed my wording. Reminds me of the old story of someone making something "idiot proof" only to have someone else create a better idiot.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you are thinking solderless, you might consider one the the ones from SantellanSounds. I, and Duhvoodooman, got one for our teles. Mine is not wired up yet as I am waiting on the pickups. but DVM's is and I think he is pleased with it. They make strat specific ones. http://www.elek-trix.com/collections...uxe-wiring-kit
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

After all the feedback here, (thanks again guys), was taking a final look before I ordered the parts. If you go here:

there are options for different tone caps. Are they worth that moolah?

Their explanations are here: http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_kit_caps.html

Anyone have any experience with these?

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I like paper oil caps most are rebranded russian stock . The allparts one sounds like new stock and @ under $16 a strong option IMHO!
    The other wax paper is just made to look like old 50's stock and other than visual appeal not worth the extra dough .I have used similiar for some projects to create a vintage visual appeal!! I have not tried the vcap but have heard good things although at $60 a cap my opinion is to pass on it.I would reconsider using on a good amp possibly pedal build if it called for the values listed.

(might just be for guitar?) You can get authentic paper oil bumble bees,vitamin q,or fender phonebooks for similiar prices but the orange drops polyprops are perfectly fine and I dont think a downgrade!!! I will try to help as much as you want brother although in timely fasion might be a problem at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Muddy! I'm gonna pull the trigger today, will let you all know how it turns out.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'd go with the Orange Drop and be done with it. I call shenanigans on using ultra expensive caps in a passive guitar circuit. I'm sure that there's someone who will claim to hear a difference. At $60, you'd better. In the context of a band setting? Forget about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'd go with the Orange Drop and be done with it. I call shenanigans on using ultra expensive caps in a passive guitar circuit. I'm sure that there's someone who will claim to hear a difference. At $60, you'd better. In the context of a band setting? Forget about it.
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

Pulled the trigger:
    http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts...t#.Ud1n8W2OnN0

Preassembled with 2 day shipping, $73, will let you know how it turns out.

Post Thanks / Like

That looks good brother!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Muddy, hope you're feeling well!

Received the kit from Mojotone today. Replacement begins tomorrow, will post pics. Btw, because I have really high expectations of this rebuild, I ordered a Limited Edition Blues Junior™ III "Silver Noir Two-Tone amph. Should be in Miami on Friday, which means I get it next Thursday, maybe before.

Details: http://www.fender.com/series/limited...-two-tone-120v
    http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Limited.../dp/B008K4W3YO - comprehensive overview at bottom of page.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick newb question, In this diagram second page,

http://support.fender.com/service_di...0_02B_SISD.pdf

lower left diagram labelled "Switch wiring NTS", do I have to bridge the contacts shown on the switch?

Post Thanks / Like

Harness unboxed.

Harness semi wired. Switch bridging to be completed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast