Thread: String it a long

Post Thanks / Like

Question String it a long

Boo
    Hi all got me guitar couple days a go,Never played before in my life That's why i is here to learn from the best,(Creepin) can you tell lol
    Thing is even been a nube like i am,I can see that the strings are for a better term crap.
    So should i invest in a now set that are not like cheese wire and if so what kind should i be look in at Any help please
    Thanks for look in in
    peace.

Post Thanks / Like

As a beginner, they're gonna feel like cheese cutters for a while, no matter what strings you use. That's one of the most daunting challenges of starting to learn the guitar. If you practice regularly, calluses will form and help that situation a lot.

Choosing your favorite strings will be an ongoing process of trying different types, brands and gauges, and learning how to properly restring your guitar is an important skill you should learn.

Post Thanks / Like

True unless you have them ad on's lommi has...

Post Thanks / Like

Post How Duse It Feel

Boo
    Was just watching lomml Playin,So as you you pretend to play along,Now dont for get its only two days ive had it and know sweet fa regarding what to do with it, Only knowing that i want to play it as all you play yours good or bad .Any way as i was sayin .
    Tonight was the first time it felt right just wereing it,Sound daft hope not .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fingerhurting
    Boo
    Hi all got me guitar couple days a go,Never played before in my life That's why i is here to learn from the best,(Creepin) can you tell lol
    Thing is even been a nube like i am,I can see that the strings are for a better term crap.
    So should i invest in a now set that are not like cheese wire and if so what kind should i be look in at Any help please
    Thanks for look in in
    peace.
    Congrats on the new guitar/hobby! I find it fun, though I am not that good, nor am I fast of fleet fingers, but fun just the same.

As for getting a new set of strings, YES! But, I caution, at this time, get them one set at a time. If this is a new guitar, I find that most manufacturers put 9's on most new guitars. The are a light guage, less tension on the strings, making it easier to play. There are some players out there that like 9's, some like 10's, guys like Stevie Ray Vaughan like 12's or 13's (really heavy strings!). See whay your favorite player uses and try something like he uses. There are the guys that like hybrids, light top - heavy bottom, etc... I would reccomend a standard set of 10's, my preference is for D'Addario, mainly cause they are inexpensive and last a long time for me. I should explain: 9's, 10's, etc. referrs to the size of the high E string... 9's = .009, 10's = .010, etc. With a set of 10's, you will have far fewer broken high E strings (especally if the guitar is equiped with a tremolo/whammy bar!). You may find that once your fingers are "broken in" with calouses, you like heavier strings, or you may find that you like lighter strings, that's why I reccomend that you buy them 1 set at a time, then when you settle in to a particular brand and gauge, then you can buy them 10 sets at a time.

Anyway, have fun, experiment when you can, and by all means, ask any questions you might have here at The Fret, plenty of people to answer them.

Keep rockin'! Cheers.
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard!

Don't fret (pun intended) too much about the finger pain as it goes away with practice. The thing to remember is that you need to practice a little bit every day. I'd put some 9s on the guitar (I like Ernie Ball's Super Slinky) as they are much easier to fret (barre chords too). As you are just starting out -- hey, I am too -- don't be afraid to experiment with different strings and guitars. You've picked a fantastic world to join and you'll be rewarded by hard work.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll suggest a set of SIT Strings, I use Rock N Roll gauge but Extra Light might work well for you. I've used them for years and many packs come with extra E's and B's in case you break on a few months in you have a quick swap.

GA