Thread: Wound G-string

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wound G-string

Anybody ever use a wound G-string on their electric? I got a set of strings that came with both a wound G and an unwound G & I am contemplating trying the wound G, except I'm concerned that the nut slot might not be wide enough to accomodate it.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried a wound G-string on one of my electrics. I have a set of flatwounds on it for playing Jazz and it came with a wound G-string. I'm not sure if I like it or not. You can't put as much vibrato on the notes of that string because it's a little stiff.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts would be the unwounded “G” strings are easier to bend when playing those screaming solos. The wounded “G” strings would be good for a straight rhythm playing.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpfeifer
    I've tried a wound G-string on one of my electrics. I have a set of flatwounds on it for playing Jazz and it came with a wound G-string. I'm not sure if I like it or not. You can't put as much vibrato on the notes of that string because it's a little stiff.

-- Jim
    Yeah it's a flatwound set.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    My thoughts would be the unwounded ā€œGā€ strings are easier to bend when playing those screaming solos. The wounded ā€œGā€ strings would be good for a straight rhythm playing.
    That's what I thought. Fuller sound for jazz comping & rhythm, harder to bend etc for lead.
    I pick a moon dog.