Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
The Ultimate Squier Classic Vibe Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Squier Classic Vibe Thread

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I've decided I don't like the stock neck on mine. It's got some buzzing still, and I can't bond with the feel of the neck either. I have a '51 neck that Tremoloman gave to me. I forgot about this neck completely. I checked it out, and it fits nicely! I just need a nut and tuners and I'll have the best Squier Tele in the world!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Hmm. I wish there was one of each at the store. But I really liked the Custom at the store, and felt it had a nice, warm, sweet neck tone that responded well to the tone knob. It may be that I am in the minority here too as I was with the CV strats. Everyone seemed to pick the 50s, whereas I seemed to like the 60s better.

In any case, I originally was thinking about changing out the neck pup anyway to a humbucker or something. But when I played it in the store, my thought was I did not need to be in any big hurry to do so.
    Just be sure to play the 50s model before you make a final decision. You may still decide to go with the "twang factor" of the Custom, but a lot of players seem to prefer the warmer/bluesier character of the 50s. Just depends on what you're looking for from a Tele.

BTW, I'm still not sure I don't need one of each!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Squire

For me, that guy is so talented and has such ability that it is difficult for me, if not impossible, to evaluate the two selections he plays. Had he played the same selections on both guitars I might be able to make a decision as to which sounds better to my ear.

The fifties sounds really twangy and bluesy like Albert Collins. The Custom has a mellower sound, to my ear, and is smoother and quieter - as in less noisy, but maybe the noise on the Fifties is something else.

This guy gets some sounds out of each of the guitars that are very polished. He makes that Custom sound really good, and gets a deeper more mellow, woody, sustain type tone out of it - never ice picky, probably because of the Alnico V pickups. The Alnico III pups on the Fifties are probably more of a vintage tele sound - clear, bright, cutting.

It's hard for me to tell though because he has a lot of stylistic differences going on between the two selections and we don't know where his amp and guitar controls are set at.

To my ear both guitars sound great and there can be no doubt that the Custom delivers some really great sounds in this guys hands. It seems like he plays the bass and mid strings more on the Custom, maybe because of the darker tone of the guitar to begin with.

I have to agree with SVL to some degree, in that I really like the sound of the Sixties CV, but own Fifties CV strats. They had a nice Sixties by me brand new for 279 and it sat around a long time but is now gone. It was a great guitar all around. I remember the guy that bought it thought it sounded as good or better than the American Special and cost a little more than a third of the Special.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Just be sure to play the 50s model before you make a final decision. You may still decide to go with the "twang factor" of the Custom, but a lot of players seem to prefer the warmer/bluesier character of the 50s. Just depends on what you're looking for from a Tele.

BTW, I'm still not sure I don't need one of each!
    I purchased the CV Custom about a year ago. Now I am not a tele guy in any shape or form. I have tried maybe 25 different ones over the years and I could not find one that I really liked. The only one that really felt good was the 52 reissue but it had the 7.25 radius on the neck. When I saw the CV50s
    I really wanted to try one but I could never find one in stock. When the CV Custom was released I talked to my local guy and he was ordering a couple in. I asked to be the first on the list when they came in.
    Right frome the start this guitar just felt good. I really like the Alder body and the color and finish are amazing. To get a double bound body on a guitar this reasonable is just crazy. I wanted a maple neck but this rosewood board is smooth and very nice to play. I had never had a 3 saddle bridge and I was worried about intonation. The 3 saddle works perfectly. I have the CV50s Strat with the A3s and I like the tone, but I really like the combo of the Rosewood, Alder and the A5s. I was ble to get a really nice low buzzless action.
    Having 1 Tele out of my 17 guitars suits me just fine, but I have been keeping my eye out for a blowout on the "Pine Caster" Fender has really outdone themselves with the Classic vibe Series. If you could get both of them for 600 bucks that would be the deal of the century they are real bang for the buck.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, if one or two of my items will sell I am in! I liked that Custom. Plus I talked to the store, and if I put money down on the Custom, but they get a 50's in and I like that better, I can switch the deposit over to that one.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

ZMan, Thanks for the input. I have not been a tele guy before either, but this Custom seemed to work for me. Glad to know you felt the same way. Funny, you have a strat like mine too. This guitar felt a bit like my strat did when I first picked it up. Very comfortable, and right in my hands. The sounds worked for me too.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what I'm going to do, because I found a near mint '07 black with maple board Fender MIM tele for 260 used at a store near me. Super low action.

I can get a CVC for 299 at a GC not far from here.

The MIM seems to make more sense than a Squier, even if I upgrade it with EMG T active pickups.

A lot of people are saying the CVC's are superior to the MIM's, so it's a difficult choice involving essentially the same amount of money.

Any advice before I make my final decision is welcome. In the end it will be a matter of personal preference, but your input is appreciated.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Duffy, your preference is my only advice. Go play them and see which one talks to you more, and feels better to you in your hands. That's all I can say. Or save your dough. You already have a couple teles!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some good blues tones here I think.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    ...I'll have the best Squier Tele in the world!
    Second best I REALLY love my Modified Vintage Modified Squire Tele since I installed a Warmoth Vintage Modern neck with a 10-16" compound radius... plays like butter and a great deal

Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Bring it over, so I can inspect it closer, Trev! And we can jam a bit.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    Second best I REALLY love my Modified Vintage Modified Squire Tele since I installed a Warmoth Vintage Modern neck with a 10-16" compound radius... plays like butter and a great deal

That kind of raises a question, how is it a Squire any more with a Warmoth neck?

IMO the neck is like 60% of the guitar, the pickups 30% and all the rest make up the 10%. Hardware has little to do with how the guitar sounds anyway, as does the body wood as long as it's in the ballpark.

A Warmoth neck over here costs more than a complete MVM Squire....so I'd call the guitar a Warmoth with some Squire parts.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

ZMan, Thanks for the input. I have not been a tele guy before either, but this Custom seemed to work for me. Glad to know you felt the same way. Funny, you have a strat like mine too. This guitar felt a bit like my strat did when I first picked it up. Very comfortable, and right in my hands. The sounds worked for me too.
    I did just about what you are doing with your local shop. I have a pretty good set up there. If there is anything new on the horizon I call him and ask if he plans to bring them in. He usually has them on order. I get first dibs on the guitar when it comes in. He sets it up for me and if I don't like it, he puts it on the floor for sale. So far I have never put one back. In fact when the Deluxe Squiers came in I picked up both colors. To tell the truch I never really had a lot of gas for the white Tele. I have several white Strats. I did see a couple when I was in Maine but they were still priced in the 350 range. I am crossing my fingers that they come out with a Butterscotch/maple in the CV series.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Butterscotch/Maple would be really cool. But then they would sell fewer '52 re-issues I bet.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tele

SVL, actually I'm upgrading my collection and selling some of my older guitars.

This is why I'm debating the excellent CVC or the MIM teles right now.

I'm thinking a black MIM with a black or black pearl pickguard with EMG T active pickups or Seymour Duncan tele noiseless will make a real nice addition to my collection, even though this deal on the CVC seems real good.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    That kind of raises a question, how is it a Squire any more with a Warmoth neck?

IMO the neck is like 60% of the guitar, the pickups 30% and all the rest make up the 10%. Hardware has little to do with how the guitar sounds anyway, as does the body wood as long as it's in the ballpark.

A Warmoth neck over here costs more than a complete MVM Squire....so I'd call the guitar a Warmoth with some Squire parts.
    Same here... think the neck alone new would have been well over $300 USD. I found it on a local classified site for a fraction of that
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Butterscotch/Maple would be really cool. But then they would sell fewer '52 re-issues I bet.
    The 52 reissue is over 1500 here, so a 300 dollar version that played and looked as nice would be a big seller. Plus the added plus as far as i am concerned would be the 9.5 radius neck.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah that would be a big seller. I would jump all over that. I agree with you on the neck radius too, which as you know is basically the same as my strat. I am sure that is why this CV tele felt so comfortable and at home in my hands.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, I put 10% down on the one I liked today to hold it at GC at the sale price. ($299, the additional $30 coupon does not apply to the already on sale items.) Looking forward to selling some gear, saving a little more, and bringing it home!

Last edited by sunvalleylaw; October 29th, 2010 at 11:22 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast