Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Hello All!

Thread: Hello All!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello All!

Hello everyone at TheFret!

I'm a 30 YO pharmacist who has been playing guitar for about 15 years. I've never gotten enough coordination to be as good as the pros, but then again, I don't have the luxury of practicing 10 hours a day! Plus, I'm a lefty, so my guitars cost twice as much as anyone else's! But I have a blast playing anyway! If I could make a pharmacist's salary by playing guitar, I would, trust me!

Anyway, I'm a self-proclaimed music theory junkie, and I've just started a thread in the discussion area that looks like it might take off, so if anyone has any questions, fire away! Great to be here!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome (officially this time)! What sort of axes and amps do you have? What's your music of choice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. I'm sure you'll dig it here.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

You know... I get a little bit of pain in my back when I lift things... is there some kind of pain reliever you can recommend?? (just kiddin'!)
    Steve
    P R O J E C T - 4 3
    http://www.project-43.com/
    Support Indie Music!
    http://itunes.com/project-43

Post Thanks / Like

...welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

AFA axes and amps, I have:

Fender Strat (not sure about the year)
    1957 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop Reissue
    Ibanez RG1550M
    Fender Acoustic
    Taylor 914CE Acoustic Electric
    Fender Cyber Twin SE
    Fender Acoustasonic with DSP

Effects:

Digitech: RP1000, Harmonyman, Whammy and Timebender
    Eventide: Pitchfactor, Modfactor, Timefactor
    Voodoo Lab Wahzoo
    Pigtronix Mothership Analog Synth - with intelligent ringmod sounds! :
    Morpheus Droptune
    E-Bow

Music of choice: Just about anything that is guitar-centered. I love the metal stuff and the virtuoso/Sharapnel guitarists, so I'm into Satch, Vai, Paul Gilbert, Greg Howe, Jason Becker, Michael Lee Firkins, Malmsteen, and the like. Also, the Big Four, Dream Theater, Nevermore, Symphony X, Evergrey, etc. But I also like James Taylor, Jim Croce, Al Di Meola, Monte Montgomery, Clapton, Page, Beck, Brian May/Queen, Deep Purple, Tesla, Black Sabbath...I could go on, but I think you get the idea. Pretty much anything goes!
    Last edited by woodchuk; July 13th, 2010 at 05:32 PM.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! I guess am a music theory guy too, at least to a certain extent.

Most people seem scared of music theory, so you'll be very handy to have around here!

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockermann
    I get a little bit of pain in my back when I lift things... is there some kind of pain reliever you can recommend??
    Yep--sell that 80W combo tube amp you've been lugging around to gigs....

Welcome to TheFret, 'Chuk!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome! Glad you joined us!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, welcome! Nice taste in music. Have you listened to the new John 5 album? A little of everything on that one. I had no idea the guy was so talented. Check it out if you haven't already!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    Welcome, welcome! Nice taste in music. Have you listened to the new John 5 album? A little of everything on that one. I had no idea the guy was so talented. Check it out if you haven't already!
    John 5 is in-freaking-sane! I've got all 5 of his solo albums, and every one of them are stellar IMO. How does he tie that chicken-pickin' country stuff in so well with the metal stuff? That sweep-picking hammer-on part in the middle of 27 Needles that changes out of nowhere right into a Chet Atkins groove, and jumping right back into the metal just as fast? Forget it! And anybody who is clearly a metalhead, but yet also admires players like Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler and welcomes their influence, is someone who should command respect, IMO. He is clearly an open-minded player - much more so than the average metal guitarist, it would seem. I really think Manson was holding him back - he deserves so much more recognition than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Fret!
    Guitars: Charvel/Jackson CSM-1G, DeArmond M-75, DeArmond Starfire Special, DeArmond S-73, Epiphone Collegiate UK, Squier 51, Michael Kelly Patriot Custom, Harmony Sovereign, Taylor 310, Takamine 12 string, SX thinline, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez JTK30,
    Amps: Earth Sound Research G-2000 Super Guitar head into Avatar G212H cab, Fender Sidekick 20 Chorus, Peavey Classic 20, Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Express 112, Fender Super Champ XD, Vibro Champ XD
    Effects: Digitech EX-7, Digitech RP-250

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodchuk
    John 5 is in-freaking-sane! I've got all 5 of his solo albums, and every one of them are stellar IMO. How does he tie that chicken-pickin' country stuff in so well with the metal stuff? That sweep-picking hammer-on part in the middle of 27 Needles that changes out of nowhere right into a Chet Atkins groove, and jumping right back into the metal just as fast? Forget it! And anybody who is clearly a metalhead, but yet also admires players like Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler and welcomes their influence, is someone who should command respect, IMO. He is clearly an open-minded player - much more so than the average metal guitarist, it would seem. I really think Manson was holding him back - he deserves so much more recognition than that.
    The new Rob Zombie album is more guitar-oriented that his previous releases, and although it still doesn't really show John 5 as the talent he really is, he is definitely more present on this album.

Maybe we should start a John 5 thread?
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome to The Fret, woodchuk. What part of the world are you in?

You're a welcome addition to the forum. I sure could use a bit more music theory, even though it is like having to eat my veggies.
    You'll find many of us share a liking of the same bands and musicians as you do.

You have some nice gear. Quick question on the Digitech stuff: How close is the Whammy on the RP1000 to Whammy stomp box?
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Welcome to The Fret, woodchuk. What part of the world are you in?
    Eastern Virginia - about an hour from Richmond.

You're a welcome addition to the forum. I sure could use a bit more music theory, even though it is like having to eat my veggies.
    :lol: I appreciate the welcome, though. I admit that theory may not be exciting to everyone - I just got lucky, I think. I'm very logical by nature, so wanting to understand "why" music works just comes naturally to me, I guess. Once you know the rules, then you can know when to break them and get away with it!

How close is the Whammy on the RP1000 to Whammy stomp box?
    While I wouldn't say it's an exact clone (due to the need to cram more data processing for all the other stuff into the RP1000), it's probably about 75% of the quality of the stand-alone whammy. It's not quite as smooth, but it doesn't sound like a knockoff by any means.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

welcome
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel