Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are you happy with your current gear?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

LO yeah, although I suppose it's much more to do with the mindset of people to be content with less; a typically lutheran type, quite happy with just a job and a steady income & safety and people are happy as clams. Like myself...I guess very few people really have dreams of making tons of money or 'succeeding', they just dream of a red cabin in the country where they can just live easy and drink beer, no fame or fortune necessary :-) quite a striking difference to anglo-saxon world where even kids must constantly compete even in school sports etc. and thrive and long for success and wealth much much more, IMO. I believe that makes for less happiness, to have to strive towards something at all times.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Happiness

You Deeaa,

It's like a cultural thing, happiness. In the USA we do have competition and aspiration and a lot of stress and also a lot of drinking and drugs; but people still long for a red cabin in the woods to just relax and let it all go by.

That's a mighty lot of beer dude, I know, I drank way more than my share back in my drinking days. Had a lot of fun too. But then, well that's another story for a different place in space and time.

Good luck dude, and stay happy.

I'm retired so I don't have to have my nose to the grinding stone, but I had a lot of pressure on me during my working days and my school years.

I definitely desire to improve my playing skills and acquire equipment that I think is better and better. It's like and endless quest, like an aspiration; a road to a goal that is ellusive.

What happened to the Viking quest to conquer? Has that genetically dissipated or is Finland not part of the Viking vibe? I thought Vikings were real contenders, very contentious and motivated to attain the unimaginable.

What happened to that vibe?
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, Finns aren't really Viking breed, only mixed in a little. That'd be more like Norwegians etc. We're more Slavic in nature and origin, quiet and melancholic, although often blonde and similar in appearance to Scandinavians. But at least the legends speak of Finns being, despite quiet and not so competitive, very relentless and unyielding when need arises; death before dishonor and I'll plow that f**ng field today or die doing it, like.

In European wars already in the 1600's the Finnish regiments were feared greatly, fighting in the Swedish army, which at the time was arguably the biggest superpower in Europe - Finland was a part of Sweden in those days. Whom we had a war with too at some point, like most all countries, LOL. And of course in the 2nd WW when a tiny Finnish army with not much else than rifles fought and held against a tenfold size Russian war machine with tanks and all, and kept the independence. Coincidentally that led to Finland in the 2nd WW fighting both with and against both Russia and Germany, and even were in war with England who however provided us military support at around the same time. Go figure. USA was by the way the only allied country who refused to start a war with Finland in those days - all the others we argued with back and forth, LOL. But that's typically Finnish I guess.

I don't know if there's much of that left in a modern Finn, but at least it's seen as a cultural heritage for us to never surrender. But still, it's not very common to praise competition either, except in hockey etc. against Sweden, th e dear neighbor whom Finns always both respect and envy and love and hate all at the same time, and we all learn the Swedish language as well :-)
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmmm....

Four pages on this thread and we haven't heard so much as a peep from our reigning champion of conspicuous consumption...Spudman...!
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    Hmmmmmm....

Four pages on this thread and we haven't heard so much as a peep from our reigning champion of conspicuous consumption...Spudman...!
    4 pages?? Wow, I only show 2 pages.
    You guys might want to go to your Edit Options page
    (http://www.thefret.net/profile.php?do=editoptions)

Scroll down to Thread Display Options section and under the Number of Posts to Show Per Page section's drop down, select "Show 40 Posts Per Page". It's much easier to navigate.

You may also want to play around with a few other options...
    YMMV
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

LOL!! Two notes, first, I find it very entertaining that my thread has been turned at least partially into a beer thread. Party on (responsibly) guys! Second, Spud is just returning from a trip. Maybe he will pop into this thread at some point. But he is always looking. always.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; July 19th, 2010 at 11:57 AM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Yeah, Finns aren't really Viking breed, only mixed in a little. That'd be more like Norwegians etc. We're more Slavic in nature and origin, quiet and melancholic, although often blonde and similar in appearance to Scandinavians. But at least the legends speak of Finns being, despite quiet and not so competitive, very relentless and unyielding when need arises; death before dishonor and I'll plow that f**ng field today or die doing it, like.

In European wars already in the 1600's the Finnish regiments were feared greatly, fighting in the Swedish army, which at the time was arguably the biggest superpower in Europe - Finland was a part of Sweden in those days. Whom we had a war with too at some point, like most all countries, LOL. And of course in the 2nd WW when a tiny Finnish army with not much else than rifles fought and held against a tenfold size Russian war machine with tanks and all, and kept the independence. Coincidentally that led to Finland in the 2nd WW fighting both with and against both Russia and Germany, and even were in war with England who however provided us military support at around the same time. Go figure. USA was by the way the only allied country who refused to start a war with Finland in those days - all the others we argued with back and forth, LOL. But that's typically Finnish I guess.

I don't know if there's much of that left in a modern Finn, but at least it's seen as a cultural heritage for us to never surrender. But still, it's not very common to praise competition either, except in hockey etc. against Sweden, th e dear neighbor whom Finns always both respect and envy and love and hate all at the same time, and we all learn the Swedish language as well :-)
    http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk...r_war_1939.htm
    The Finns were certainly tenacious fighters against Russia back in WW2. The "Winter War" was epic. They fought like vikings when they held off Mother Russia from occupying their little peice of land in that region. Although I have forgotten alot of the details since I haven't thought about it in a long time, I used to have an interest in Finnish history. Back in my collector days I had some Finnish weapons from WW2 era. Still have a near mint Tikka arsonal M1891 that was made in Finland in the 1930s.

What was this thread about again? Oh....yes.....I am very happy with my equipment.....especially my Tikka and Seiko
    Last edited by LeadedEL84; July 19th, 2010 at 03:23 PM.
    LeadedEL84

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

At least I am a good portion Norwegian, and Norwegians get mentioned in deeaa's post a few back. LOL!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy with my current gear. Of course, I'm buying new things all the time and working so much I haven't had time to post them here, or take pics, or make clips, so go figure..........
    On the other hand, I'm not Finnish, I do have a Ceriatone, no guitars made of stone or metal, but I like beer, so go figure......
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    I'm happy with my current gear. Of course, I'm buying new things all the time and working so much I haven't had time to post them here, or take pics, or make clips, so go figure..........
    On the other hand, I'm not Finnish, I do have a Ceriatone, no guitars made of stone or metal, but I like beer, so go figure......
    Music is a universal language. Beer is a great uniter of men worldwide. I think I have made more friends outside of my country due to these two subjects more than any other. No contest. Once when I was drinking beer with my friend from Brazil,he started to hand me another beer and asked "Are you Finish?" I said "No,on my mothers side I am Scottish and English,on my dads side they were French and maybe German,and, yes I'll have another beer".

I am most happy with my gear when I'm drinking beer.
    LeadedEL84

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LeadedEL84
    http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk...r_war_1939.htmBack in my collector days I had some Finnish weapons from WW2 era. Still have a near mint Tikka arsonal M1891 that was made in Finland in the 1930s.
    Hey, that's interesting...one of these? http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl03-e.htm

I'm no collector but my elk hunting rifle was also originally a 7.62 Mosin-Nagant M1891 built here out of spare parts after the war...used to be my grandads and converted to hunting rifle in the 70's, I don't know if any part is original any more though. They are very plentiful here; Tikka assembled a whole lot of them from spare parts for and after the war and you can still buy a lot of parts from even thrift stores here. It's a tad harder to find a numbers-matching original Mosin or its Finnish version, but those too are still available...my father-in-law has a 1917 made one and a friend has a couple from the 30's. If yours is all original it may rise in value nicely some day.

Both of mine and wife's granddads were in the war and one grandma too, and I have also this old 6.35 cal pocket semiauto pistol...cheap li'l thing made in belgium, really tiny and simple, but it was intended for fighter pilots to have, supposedly for suicide purpose (it won't hit a barn door from six feet, barrel is literally well under an inch long, no real rifles either)...my grandad has made the handle plates from aircraft aluminum and it has 1939-1940 and the old Finnish air force emblem engraved by hand. Too bad it was very poorly stored for many years and the plating is al but gone and it looks just sad now. And I'm hoping to get my other granddad's 'Lahti' pistol ( a Luger copy basically) from my uncle some day.

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/PISTOLS1.htm
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, that's interesting...one of these? http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl03-e.htm

I'm no collector but my elk hunting rifle was also originally a 7.62 Mosin-Nagant M1891 built here out of spare parts after the war...used to be my grandads and converted to hunting rifle in the 70's, I don't know if any part is original any more though. They are very plentiful here; Tikka assembled a whole lot of them from spare parts for and after the war and you can still buy a lot of parts from even thrift stores here. It's a tad harder to find a numbers-matching original Mosin or its Finnish version, but those too are still available...my father-in-law has a 1917 made one and a friend has a couple from the 30's. If yours is all original it may rise in value nicely some day.

Both of mine and wife's granddads were in the war and one grandma too, and I have also this old 6.35 cal pocket semiauto pistol...cheap li'l thing made in belgium, really tiny and simple, but it was intended for fighter pilots to have, supposedly for suicide purpose (it won't hit a barn door from six feet, barrel is literally well under an inch long, no real rifles either)...my grandad has made the handle plates from aircraft aluminum and it has 1939-1940 and the old Finnish air force emblem engraved by hand. Too bad it was very poorly stored for many years and the plating is al but gone and it looks just sad now. And I'm hoping to get my other granddad's 'Lahti' pistol ( a Luger copy basically) from my uncle some day.

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/PISTOLS1.htm
    Yep! One of those Mine is all numbers matching and dated 1938 I believe. The Tikka arsonal built this one on an older Hex shaped reciever and of course was scrubbed and restamped. It is very nice and a great shooter. It has already appreciated in value since I bought it. We used to be able to get them here fairly cheap but now the nice ones are getting hard to find and have at least doubled in price in the last 10 years. Finnish weapons have a cult following with collectors in the USA. I used to have two others that were called M39s. I don't believe they were ever refered to with that name in your country. I think it is an American importers designation. Here is some info and a picture: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM39.htm
    Mine were from the Seiko and VKT arsenals.
    I used to have a large collection of Mosin rifles in mostly every model and configuration. Most were Russian but the Finns were among the nicest. Unfortunately I had to thin out the collection a few years ago due to space and money concerns. I saved only my best and favorites. I still have the Tikka,a Russian model 1891 from the Sestroryetsk arsenal (very very old rifle ) and a Russian 91/30 that was rebuilt from a former dragoon rifle which was built from an old hex reciever M1891. It still retains it's Peter the Great stamp on the reciever which is rare because the Bulsheviks peened them out when they took over. I have been tracing the history of this one for years and it might be a rifle captured by the Finns during the "Winter War". It has many strange and some conflicting markings. Strangly it was imported to the USA from Serbia. It has been around and has a mysterious history. This is a perfect example of why I became hooked on collecting them. The history fascinates me.
    If I'm ever lucky enough to visit Europe I will have to stop by Dee's house and fire off some 7.62x54R and drink a few beers!
    Since we have thoroughly hi jacked this thread I have to remind you that I am STILL happy with my music equipment. LOL
    LeadedEL84

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep! One of those Mine is all numbers matching and dated 1938 I believe. The Tikka arsonal built this one on an older Hex shaped reciever and of course was scrubbed and restamped. It is very nice and a great shooter. It has already appreciated in value since I bought it. We used to be able to get them here fairly cheap but now the nice ones are getting hard to find and have at least doubled in price in the last 10 years. Finnish weapons have a cult following with collectors in the USA. I used to have two others that were called M39s. I don't believe they were ever refered to with that name in your country. I think it is an American importers designation. Here is some info and a picture: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM39.htm
    Yes, M39 name isn't used but it's known. My mosin has the M39 barrel, easily distinguished by the 'dog ear' flanges in front sight, the rifle is best known as 'Pystykorva', i.e. 'Pointy ear' after a favorite breed of dog here. The rifle is indeed a mismatch of parts now, 1944 stamped receiver, hexagonal shape and marked both Finnish army and some weird russian stamps too...probably all parts are old spare parts re-stamped and many changed even after that first build.

Mine were from the Seiko and VKT arsenals.
    I used to have a large collection of Mosin rifles in mostly every model and configuration. Most were Russian but the Finns were among the nicest. Unfortunately I had to thin out the collection a few years ago due to space and money concerns. I saved only my best and favorites. I still have the Tikka,a Russian model 1891 from the Sestroryetsk arsenal (very very old rifle ) and a Russian 91/30 that was rebuilt from a former dragoon rifle which was built from an old hex reciever M1891. It still retains it's Peter the Great stamp on the reciever which is rare because the Bulsheviks peened them out when they took over. I have been tracing the history of this one for years and it might be a rifle captured by the Finns during the "Winter War". It has many strange and some conflicting markings. Strangly it was imported to the USA from Serbia. It has been around and has a mysterious history. This is a perfect example of why I became hooked on collecting them. The history fascinates me.
    If I'm ever lucky enough to visit Europe I will have to stop by Dee's house and fire off some 7.62x54R and drink a few beers!
    Since we have thoroughly hi jacked this thread I have to remind you that I am STILL happy with my music equipment. LOL
    LOL yeah indeed! And it can be nigh impossible to trace those rifles...like mine too has all these weird markings and stamps. Might well be a very old receiver spare was used, mated with a M39 newer barrel, and all the other parts from spares as well. Seems to me every other hunter has at least one of these rifles more or less built from assorted parts, old and new. One reason was that many of the guns were brought home from the war, and later rebuilt and registered as elk rifles...sometimes kind of, well, wanted to not let the police know of all the rifles so one old war rifle might suddenly turn into three with spare parts and parts spread accross them all...and the officials couldn't keep track with how many guns who had, with very confusing markings on the parts etc...

My granddad also had a Detgjarev light machinegun in the attic but that we dispatched to the police when he died...

But yep, if you ever wander round here I can take you to see my friend who has lots of old Finnish guns, like the PPSH and the finnish counterpart submachineguns, Lahti-Saloranta light MG, all kinds of stuff :-)

...and then back to the gear issue...:-)
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, M39 name isn't used but it's known. My mosin has the M39 barrel, easily distinguished by the 'dog ear' flanges in front sight, the rifle is best known as 'Pystykorva', i.e. 'Pointy ear' after a favorite breed of dog here. The rifle is indeed a mismatch of parts now, 1944 stamped receiver, hexagonal shape and marked both Finnish army and some weird russian stamps too...probably all parts are old spare parts re-stamped and many changed even after that first build.

LOL yeah indeed! And it can be nigh impossible to trace those rifles...like mine too has all these weird markings and stamps. Might well be a very old receiver spare was used, mated with a M39 newer barrel, and all the other parts from spares as well. Seems to me every other hunter has at least one of these rifles more or less built from assorted parts, old and new. One reason was that many of the guns were brought home from the war, and later rebuilt and registered as elk rifles...sometimes kind of, well, wanted to not let the police know of all the rifles so one old war rifle might suddenly turn into three with spare parts and parts spread accross them all...and the officials couldn't keep track with how many guns who had, with very confusing markings on the parts etc...

My granddad also had a Detgjarev light machinegun in the attic but that we dispatched to the police when he died...

But yep, if you ever wander round here I can take you to see my friend who has lots of old Finnish guns, like the PPSH and the finnish counterpart submachineguns, Lahti-Saloranta light MG, all kinds of stuff :-)

...and then back to the gear issue...:-)
    That's too much! I will have to direct you over to one of the gun collector sites one of these days so I can thoroughly pick your brain on Finnish Mosins. I am familiar with the "dog ear" term. The M39s had the heavier barrel and were very well designed. Both mine were tack drivers (very accurate). The PPSH and Lahti are prized by the few who have them here. It's so cool to hear these stories from an actual Finn instead reading about it in a book or a website. I wish I could have talked to you about 8 or 10 years ago when i was really into it all. I am looking back and recalling from memory now. BTW- my Sestroryetsk M1891 is dated 1918. I just remembered.
    And if I ever make it over there someday we will indeed have to play some guitars,shoot some weapons,drink some beer,and then write a song about it all. LOL
    LeadedEL84

Post Thanks / Like

I'm completely happy...almost. How could I not be really with all the stuff I've acquired over the years? 2 more guitars would probably seal the deal on the satisfied front. An acoustic that I love and one more high end electric. Otherwise, thanks to the M13 and M9 I no longer crave any effects. I've also got an adequate selection of gigable amphs. No worries at my house. Now I can get serious about my NASCAR collectible figurine set.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat

I've been out of town for a week away from a computer.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I'm completely happy...almost. How could I not be really with all the stuff I've acquired over the years? 2 more guitars would probably seal the deal on the satisfied front. An acoustic that I love and one more high end electric. Otherwise, thanks to the M13 and M9 I no longer crave any effects. I've also got an adequate selection of gigable amphs. No worries at my house. Now I can get serious about my NASCAR collectible figurine set.

I've been out of town for a week away from a computer.
    I was beginning to wonder.....
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I'm in a really good space now that I've got a delay. I've glanced at a couple of guitars, but I've always wished that they were somehow more like my Dinky. Good thing too since I've got no extra cash to even consider putting towards a purchase.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234