Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you happy with your current gear?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

bcdon, have you been talking to my wife again?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    bcdon, have you been talking to my wife again?
    Nope, I can't handle the one I've got.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Happy? Yes, for the most part. I see myself in a build period when it comes to gear, but not the usual GAS we get. I'm still working on getting just the basics in place. My good Strat, P-90 semi-hollow, acoustic, amp, and the few pedals I have are all keepers.

The $50 Tele find is my least favorite guitar, mostly because the neck is too narrow and the electronics are noisy. It is fine for now, but I'd like to replace it with a nicer double humbucker guitar, which will happen some later time.

I'm beyond happy with the Egnater amp. I like to play a wide variety of styles and music, so I could really use a good multi effects unit. I need more colors in my pallet, but due to the many sub-$500 choices out there, this is the hardest gear decision to date.

So, down the road I really need a good double humbucker guitar, would like a decent Tele (CV 50's would do), and need a good multi effects.

For now, I'm happy!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

bcdon,

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Hound
    ARGH! There's metrics again! I work in academics, so I hear plenty about metrics.
    Don't get me started on measurements and units!

I teach languages for a living and boy those inches and such units are impossible to fathom...with metrics, all you need is just one unit, and the rest are that times ten per unit always, even accross types, like a thousand liters is a cube with one metre sides and weighs a thousand kilos if water...but those old units...there's like 6 different tons alone all weighing different...impossible to decipher without a book to check from
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Units... You mean like a pair of units? Wheres the birthday pictures? Never mind, I better not go there.

I am pretty content with what I have. Trying to fine tune everything now. There is always something though like maybe try a different speaker or pedal.

M

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Happy

I think happiness is a quest rather than a static state.

Therefore some of the guitars I was really happy with in the past, led to other guitar acquisitions that often provided greater happiness.

Playing my Squier CV Lake Placid Blue with the aged white pearl pickguard, loaded with Fender Custom Shop Texas Special sss pickups was real happiness tonight, compared to a couple other guitars I compared it to. And my Michael Kelly Patriot Custom also provided some real happiness compared to some other guitars that once sounded great.

Happiness is a relative state and subject to change.

I'm happy with my gear, especially with my upgrades; and am trying to get in as much playing time as possible to develop my playing skills on this gear I'm so happy with.

It seems curious to me that some guys I know have the same guitar that they have had for thirty years and they are happy with it, so to speak. These are some mighty fine guitars I might add, but none the less, it seems like one would want to get something different, better sounding, or just get something else for a change to stimulate musical growth.

To each their own and equally to each their own pursuit of happiness, whatever that may be conceived to be.

I need to sell some of my gear that I'm not very happy with, without further hesitation.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Starting the guitar co. thing seems to have alleviated my guitarlust. I have so many guitars and guitar parts around me that I mostly gas for shelves, stands and hangers. But a vintage Gretsch seed got planted recently which will likely sprout once I've made some room.

Actually I am so busy working and practicing that I don't have time to think much about gear. Seems the more I'm playing, the less I want. Come to think of it I'm also feeling happier than usual. Could it be that the abolition of want is the key to happiness?

Nah...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa

I teach languages for a living and boy those inches and such units are impossible to fathom...with metrics, all you need is just one unit, and the rest are that times ten per unit always, even accross types, like a thousand liters is a cube with one metre sides and weighs a thousand kilos if water...but those old units...there's like 6 different tons alone all weighing different...impossible to decipher without a book to check from
    As one from a scientific background I've been trying to explain this to British and American people like, forever! It's so nice to finally live in a country that is actually metric rather than just officially.

I was made to recite "a litre of water is a pint and three quarter(s)" at school. Try it with a cockney accent. Hilarious!

PS: Americans, please ignore this mnemonic because your pints are the wrong size
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the confusion here, but the "metrics" Eric and I are performance measures, not the Metric System of physical measurement. And yes, the Metric System makes so much sense, I wish we would start using it.

Robert, telling my wife that I need a semi-hollow to improve is a great idea!
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok, this thread is about satisfaction with your guitar gear, not measurements. But even so, while I get how the metric system makes sense, I just enjoy ordering a Pint, or better yet, an Imperial Pint much more than something like a liter of Guinness. BTW, while I am generally satisfied with the beer that has been in my fridge, I am GASing for some replacement units.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Ok, this thread is about satisfaction with your guitar gear, not measurements. But even so, while I get how the metric system makes sense, I just enjoy ordering a Pint, or better yet, an Imperial Pint much more than something like a liter of Guinness. BTW, while I am generally satisfied with the beer that has been in my fridge, I am GASing for some replacement units.
    While we're diverging anyway...

I had a party a few weeks ago with 50+ people, and bought 4 cases of beer for it. At the end of the night, a total of 25 beers had been drunk. Only 25 beers!!

So we got to take home 3 cases of mixed beers, which brings the total in the basement to something like 7 cases of beer. Wowie. I guess that's what you get for not being able to buy 6-packs in PA...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    While we're diverging anyway...

I had a party a few weeks ago with 50+ people, and bought 4 cases of beer for it. At the end of the night, a total of 25 beers had been drunk. Only 25 beers!!

So we got to take home 3 cases of mixed beers, which brings the total in the basement to something like 7 cases of beer. Wowie. I guess that's what you get for not being able to buy 6-packs in PA...

The BEER distributor is your friend.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    ...I had a party a few weeks ago with 50+ people, and bought 4 cases of beer for it. At the end of the night, a total of 25 beers had been drunk. Only 25 beers!!...
    50+ people, 25 beers drunk. You call that a party?
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

VERY.

Although, the local shop has a gorgeous Ibanez electric/acoustic 12 string that needs to find its way here... after I finish filling out the PA...
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

As a beginner, I'm pretty happy with my low end equipment for now. I have a Fender Bullet Strat, a Danelectro 56 U1 reissue with single pickup, semi-hollow body, and an Lucero LC100 Classical Guitar. I have an Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Short Scale Bass and a couple of keyboards: Yamaha and a Korg Microkorg Vocoder. And various recording programs and mics and amps and mixers, etc., etc.
    In the last year, I've spent about $1,500.00. Not a lot in comparison to some musicians, but not too bad for a guy who is just basically learning to play again and who does a little home recording, here and there.
    Last edited by Nickolas Cook; July 18th, 2010 at 08:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Question

everyday i wish for the lotto gods to rain money on me!!!!!!

I am constantly looking for another piece to the sordid puzzle that is tone!
    that being said, the rig i play with now is keeping a smile on my face!

2 bands, 2 rigs. #1, 2006 mim strat->boss tu2->morley bad horsie 2(jurys still out on this one)->ibanez ts9->boss bf2->fender super champ xd
    #2, 2005 gibson LP studio->boss tu2->ibanez ts9->vox v847->ibanez t808->boss bf2->fender super champ xd

thats for gigs, at home and studio/practice ive got at least fifty other pedals i toy withfor tone but thats my rig.

id love to get some vintage fender amp or a bluesbreaker. had an orange, was not blown away (cept for the price). my XD does just about everything well, nothing exceptional, just well, and small unit. i like simplicity onstage.

and of course, i want every axe i can grab, but the 2 i got suit me for now( untill that rain im waiting for happens)

i may sound all over the place here but ask my exes, thats just me. in my head it all sorts out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    50+ people, 25 beers drunk. You call that a party?
    My circle of acquaintances, I'd need about 20 cases for 50 people and I'd run out of beer. Hell, I've bought three cases just for my personal use last week only, although I've also quite a few left in the fridge. But in the summertime...I can easily gulp down at least a sixpack in the daytime while watching the kids on the beach and another in the afternoon/evening while watching telly with the wife. Not enough to get drunk, but keep a nice warm buzz going & sleep like a baby.

Come to think of it, I suppose I spend much more on beer yearly than gear. Must be something like 1500 or more at least.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

My circle of acquaintances, I'd need about 20 cases for 50 people and I'd run out of beer. Hell, I've bought three cases just for my personal use last week only, although I've also quite a few left in the fridge. But in the summertime...I can easily gulp down at least a sixpack in the daytime while watching the kids on the beach and another in the afternoon/evening while watching telly with the wife. Not enough to get drunk, but keep a nice warm buzz going & sleep like a baby.

Come to think of it, I suppose I spend much more on beer yearly than gear. Must be something like 1500 or more at least.
    Just read today that, according to a Gallup poll, out of 155 countries Finland is the second happiest country. http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-35010143
    Perhaps their typical beer consumption (exemplified by our good man Dee) has something to do with it?

Happy in beer, happy in gear...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast