Thread: In The Neck

Post Thanks / Like

Question In The Neck

Boo
    As you know am new to this plank of wood and six strings ,But what i am trying to find out is, may sound daft but how do you hold the thing as regards your left hand ie top of thumb,in the hollow of hand see what i mean.
    My head is begining to hurt
    so any help will be a help
    Thanks for your help
    peace

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I suppose each has their own style, but I keep my thumb very close to the fretboard i.e. topside of the neck. This way the palm, or at least the arc feom thumb end to forefinger end can rest on the neck wood and not tire for a lot of time.1st and 2nd fingers play low e and a strings, and the rest three play riffs and the higher strings almost always without having to change positions.

Now if I only play open e, a, d etc. chords for a while I'll move my thumb well over the fretboard and totally grip the neck, again because that allows the fingers to rest in a natural position.

Conversely, if I play high up the neck, or leads which use lower strings too, I'll allow the thumb to slide to the middle of the neck back for optimal access for all five strings. But this 'lead player' position is very tiring for the hand, especially if you don't play sitting or at least hold the guitar high up.

But, like 80% of the time my thumb rests on the upmost quadrant of the neck back...that is why I like V necks, they let the thumb very close to strings, like thin necks do, but too thin lead necks give no palm support and are tiring. U necks are also bad, but normal C is alright 4 me.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for your help
    Appreciated

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Most guitar teachers recommend that your thumb be on the back of the neck. I had one that used to tap me on the thumb with a pointer. It doesn't feel comfortable but it will improve your technique as your fingers get stronger. I find it more comfortable and my style of blues with a lot of finger vibrato and bending, I need my thumb higher on the neck close to the board. Also the thickness of the neck makes a difference.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes back of the neck is best for playing lead&all but in real life hard work of playing, a bit higher is indeed better for bends and to fight finger fatigue.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of questions

There are a lot of things that can be happening. As a teacher I know there is a certain amount of time that it takes a new person to find their "fit" to the guitar. I would not offer any advice until I know what you are trying to play and practicing. It could be that you are starting too high up the mountain before you've built an adequate fit/stabilization to your strength and hand posture to the guitar.

Are you trying to go it alone and be self taught? If so, can you tell us why? A Teacher can help a student not injure themselves, provide wise guidance, detailed and constructive feedback and correct bad habits before they begin.

GA

Post Thanks / Like

Boo
    Well to be trueful i was kind of thinking to go it a lone. But you are so right my friend, looks like i was trying to start to high up the mountain lol
    So think i will be tryin out a teacher thanks you guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool On the patch of enlightenment

Boo
    Hi all well had me 1st lesson to day
    Must say good fingers paying for it lol.Told me for now just to soak up what it is that i want to do with me guitar .So as you do went hunting for some tabs to try and play .Know it will be a challenge but going to try for Working Man RusH.
    love that band.

Post Thanks / Like

I started with my thumb always at the fretboard, but after years and muscles and just playing, it just kind goes where it needs to without me worrying. Just keep pickin and it will work out. There will be some pain and fatigue, just take a break and let the blood get back in there and get back to it. the comfort and stamina will come. happy learnin, welcome